So my band has some major frustrations. We have two upcoming shows and we dont have any vocal equipment. We have extra guitar amps but microphones sound like **** throught those. We also have just plain big old stereo speakers. I need to find out 1) the best way to hook up mics to guitar amps without unwanted squeals and good volume. or 2) the best and easiest connection to regular stereo speakers who can only be hooked up with good old fashioned (red and black) speaker wire.

And our money budget is like $200 tops. Please help us out.
Bump

Bump

Uber Bump
There is so much free time in college.
Thus I procrastinate.
Thus I get better at Guitar.
Ask if the place you're playing at has a PA, if they do, chances are you will be able to plug into that.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Tough problem. If the guitar amps that you want to use have powered outputs, try connecting your stereo speakers to them, and plug the mics into the clean channels of the amps. Otherwise, yeah, you'll need to hook into the house PA if they have one.
A bass or keyboard amp is always a better option than a guitar amp.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
these are both house parties. and the stereo speakers can only be connected by the stereo WIRE with the two little clamps in the back. and we have two mics that need to be hooked up. i only have one guitar amp with a speaker output but two speakers. so if i do use the speaker output of my amp how can i go from speaker cable to wire?
You can't. Plus, the output would have to be active, and I'm pretty sure coming out of the back of your amp it will be passive. Also, how big are the speakers you wanna hook up?
Hire a PA? thats what hire places are there for.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes, I think the YMCA in my town hires out PAs for like, £10/night.
What you could do is plug the mic into a pedal, which is switched on, but with the effect turned down, first as a pre-amp for extra gain. where you put the mic is also very important for feedback. The mic shouldn't be pointing directly towards or away from the speaker, cos the back of the mic can pick up some sound aswell. you want it sos the mic picks up as little of the sound from the speaker as possible - I think i'll leave it to someone else to explain more or better feedback reducing techniques.
All these things will make a decent, cheap system:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPC15-15-PA-Speaker-Cabinet-with-Horn?sku=600816

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SP5-Mic-SpecialBuy-1-Get-2-Free?sku=277174

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gem-Sound-XP350-Stereo-Power-Amp?sku=481216

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-MM141-4Channel-Mini-Mixer?sku=630433

plus some 1/4" cables, speaker cables.

It's about $250, but I 'm thinking that's you're cheapest solution. (without renting)

and chances are, the nady stuff is crap, and will most likely only last you for these two gigs.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
Quote by jimRH7
What you could do is plug the mic into a pedal, which is switched on, but with the effect turned down, first as a pre-amp for extra gain. where you put the mic is also very important for feedback. The mic shouldn't be pointing directly towards or away from the speaker, cos the back of the mic can pick up some sound aswell. you want it sos the mic picks up as little of the sound from the speaker as possible - I think i'll leave it to someone else to explain more or better feedback reducing techniques.

it all depends on the pickup pattern of the microphone. Most vocal mics like the Shure SM58 will be cardioid, so they will pick up sound from all angles, but much much less from the back. I think the type of mic you're thinking of has a figure of 8 pattern.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by jimRH7

these are mics for singing. i just need some sort of amplification for the mics.
Quote by jimRH7

i called up the ymca in my area and they dont do pa system rentals. the cheapest rental i found was 150. i'd like to try to figure out something with wat i've got
If its 150 to rent then I would just invest in getting one of your own.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by a4lrocker
If its 150 to rent then I would just invest in getting one of your own.

we need it in like a week. and we dont have one fifty yet.
Quote by NSHSpolevault
i called up the ymca in my area and they dont do pa system rentals. the cheapest rental i found was 150. i'd like to try to figure out something with wat i've got

I think the college might do them as well here, Or, Maybe try and chat up a local club or another band? I'm just throwing ideas about here.