Which is a better amp all around, what are the pros and cons i should know. I heard the peavey don't have good cleans, and the crate can't go metal. I want a versatile amp, i am getting this amp for around $400 used, and don't want to drive there to check both amp because its very far. Both are discontinue so none of the Music store around me carry them, even GC, though its not a suprise

I was going to get a Mark IV, i was like " $1000 for an amp and i don't even gig yet". So i am considering getting this amp which are near the Mark IV, but cheaper IMO (maybe not). So i'm going to save $600, and if i ever need a Mark IV, i just need to save up $400 or less.

Thanks in advance
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Last edited by angeldef at Jun 23, 2008,
Buy the Mark IV. It will probably be the last amp you'll ever have to buy. Both amps will go no where near the Mark IVs versatility
TS I Don't know who you talked to about the Peavey XXX, but the cleans on that amp are quite good, IMO they where better than the Mesa Boogie dual rectifier I was trying out. As far as versatility goes I would give the XXX 8.5 out of 10, only becasue the crunch channel is a little too gainy and its hard to really dial in more classic rock tones, I am not saying that you cannot dail them in its just not real easy. To combat this short coming on mine I installed a couple 12At7s in the gain preamp section and it made the amp much more resonsive and less gainy on that channel. The Ultra Channel has more gain then you will ever need. IMO they are awesome amps that are in the same league as the Mesa Boogie Rectifiers, I think the Rectifiers are slightly supeiour in tone and versatility but still the XXX are really great amps, that are "pro" gear, some even prefer their tone to Rectifers. I have the 212 XXX and its probably the last I amp I will ever own.
^So they do have clean, well its hard to tell because all of the youtube videos demonstrate the high gain most of the time and the cleans demo aren't convincing me. Though i do like the gain, but i hope i can get it to sound darker because as i can hear they are bright amp and some reviews say the same. Would a speaker change make this a better amp? Well, if its a blue marvel i know it will...so which one would benefit the amp?

So anyone know about the Crate VC60212

Is it the same as this? But bigger and louder? Maybe more gain and better clean because of the size and two speaker?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5raF2LC3ks&feature=related

Clean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_mXdCb6lL0&feature=related

Overdrive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWj1-XcX2E
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by Johnbryant
TS I Don't know who you talked to about the Peavey XXX, but the cleans on that amp are quite good, IMO they where better than the Mesa Boogie dual rectifier I was trying out. As far as versatility goes I would give the XXX 8.5 out of 10, only becasue the crunch channel is a little too gainy and its hard to really dial in more classic rock tones, I am not saying that you cannot dail them in its just not real easy. To combat this short coming on mine I installed a couple 12At7s in the gain preamp section and it made the amp much more resonsive and less gainy on that channel. The Ultra Channel has more gain then you will ever need. IMO they are awesome amps that are in the same league as the Mesa Boogie Rectifiers, I think the Rectifiers are slightly supeiour in tone and versatility but still the XXX are really great amps, that are "pro" gear, some even prefer their tone to Rectifers. I have the 212 XXX and its probably the last I amp I will ever own.
+1. Absolutely John. The XXX can do great cleans, tasty classic rock and brutal death metal. These amps also respond greatly to power and pre amp tube swaps.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Youtube videos really suck balls, its really hard to get any convincing tone clean or dirty from the compressed files they use. I have actually heard some MG clips on you tube that sound as good as some Mesa Boogie Rectifier clips, although in person the amp are to not even close to the same league. I say go play a triple XXX and see what you think, the heads are the same cuirictry as the combos so that should really give you a good idea of what the combo will do. Also the speakers are peavey's Shefields, they are Peaveys premium high wattage speaker, and really, they are Okay, little better than mediocer IMO, to me they seem like a cross between the Blue Marvel and a Celestion G12k-75, they have a little british bite for sure. The XXX amps are a brite amp compared to the 5150 or 6505, but so is the Mesa Boogie Rectifer for that matter, plus like the Rectifiers the XXX have active Eqs which are nothing short of amazing, as far as controling the amp is concered. I can literally cut all the mids (for example, I don't recomend you set it up this way) out of my tone on the crunch or the ultra channel, not some but all, if you turn the bass mids and highs to zero, you will have little to know coming from the amp. The best way to start seting one up is to turn every thing to 12:00 and dail it in from there otherwise you might get lost.
^Nice, advice, i will try a Triple xxx head today in GC.

So no one on the Crate?
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky