What pedals would I have to use to get close to Zakk Wylde and the same question for Steve Vai. These are just two tones i'd like to recreate, cause to me they both sound amazing and something I'd like to use in my own playing. I'm using a little Marshall 15w G15RCD practice amp and a JSX halfstack. Does anyone have any advice??

edit:just found the practice amp, its right on there now. Please specify the settings and gear for the guitarist(though i could prolly guess, lol).
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
Last edited by Ziggy936 at Jun 24, 2008,
Well, what's your amp?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Apparently Steve Vai's sound is all in his guitar, because I got it right off running one through some random amp at Guitar Center. No one cares about Zakk or how he gets his tone, really, so I couldn't tell you.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
^

Steve Vai plugs into Carvin Legacies right? Not too sure about that, I'm not a vai fan, but I thought I read that in a book somewhere. And, his tone is not all in his guitar.
ZW uses JCM800's I believe, with some of his signature stuff.
If your amp is good, a good old tubescreamer should help you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Give a healthy amount of bass, a decent amount of mids, and not too much treble. Use a lot of gain so it's creamy but don't go overboard, you want your sound to stay articulated. It'd be good to use an overdrive or boost in front to tighten it all up. Also splash in reverb or echo. And make sure you use the JSX rather than the MG, cause that thing blows.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
zakk wylde uses jcm800's boss sd-1 boss ch-1 dunlop univibe and dunlop crybaby
Quote by darkarbiter7
^

Steve Vai plugs into Carvin Legacies right? Not too sure about that, I'm not a vai fan, but I thought I read that in a book somewhere. And, his tone is not all in his guitar.
ZW uses JCM800's I believe, with some of his signature stuff.
If your amp is good, a good old tubescreamer should help you.

yes, the legacys are vai's sig amp from carvin, although it's pretty much designed to sound like his bogner ecstacy i've heard
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
you should be able to get that (or close enough) out of the jsx, surely?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you should be able to get that (or close enough) out of the jsx, surely?

I agree. Start turning those knobs.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby