So a couple of years ago me and some friends had a band and we recorded all of our guitar and bass tracks by plugging a cable from the headphone jack on the amps to the microphone input on a laptop (i think). Well I bought one of those 1/4th / 1/8th inch cables but I can't figure out where to plug it in on my amp. Unlike before, I'm using a halfstack which doesnt have an input that says "headphones." it has a line out, but plugging it in there does absolutely nothing. I know very little about electronics and really don't want to screw up my laptop. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Be careful with the line out: if it's powered it'll blow whenever you plug it into (unless it's speakers or something designed to take a load) will blow up. A good option is always to just pick up a dynamic mic, like a SM57 or Sennheiser e609, and then grab a Lo-Z to 1/4 inch or Lo-Z to 1/8th inch cable.

Personally I just use a Line 6 guitar port (set up with with no amp or cab) to capture and boost (compressor, volume control) the signal from dynamic mics via a Lo-Z to 1/4 inch cable I have through Audacity.
yeah, don't do that bro or you risk serious damage to your amp, headphones or PC. If it is a tube powered amp the power tubes load the speaker directly. There are exceptions to this but generally if your amp does not have a headphone jack - don't do it. Some amps have attenuators built in. Forgot what your halfstack is, but they are sometimes found in Combos and Hybrids. Obviously if you amp is a hybrid or has a solid state power section then chances are you are OK.

I know Ted Weber makes a headphone 'tap' for tube amps but they are expensive. The reason for that is the tap draws power from the tube to allow to to 'tap' in with headphones. Bottom left here:
http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Use a mike. I personally use my Digitech multi and then USB to laptop using audacity but i lose the awesomeness of my tube amp.

word
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 24, 2008,
i hope you dont mind if i listen to your discussions.. The topic interests me as i too would like to record riffs into my PC.. Thanks!
its sad, but i use a gaming microphone to record everything, i used to plug into the headphone jack but you have to keep your volume insanely low just to not blow out your speakers, and this is with a 15w solid state through the headphone out.

(but suprisingly the mic on the headphone isn't bad. its logitech so woo!)

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, don't do that bro or you risk serious damage to your amp, headphones or PC. If it is a tube powered amp the power tubes load the speaker directly. There are exceptions to this but generally if your amp does not have a headphone jack - don't do it. Some amps have attenuators built in. Forgot what your halfstack is, but they are sometimes found in Combos and Hybrids. Obviously if you amp is a hybrid or has a solid state power section then chances are you are OK.

I know Ted Weber makes a headphone 'tap' for tube amps but they are expensive. The reason for that is the tap draws power from the tube to allow to to 'tap' in with headphones. Bottom left here:
http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Use a mike. I personally use my Digitech multi and then USB to laptop using audacity but i lose the awesomeness of my tube amp.

word

Its a B-52 AT-100. its a triple rectifier, so it does have a solid state setting. The mic idea sounds interesting though. If theres a decently priced mic that will give me adequate recording quality that would be great. Especially since I also need to record some acoustic stuff. It doesnt have to be amazing, just good enough quality for a music myspace page i guess.
Quote by snowbo2696
Its a B-52 AT-100. its a triple rectifier, so it does have a solid state setting. The mic idea sounds interesting though. If theres a decently priced mic that will give me adequate recording quality that would be great. Especially since I also need to record some acoustic stuff. It doesnt have to be amazing, just good enough quality for a music myspace page i guess.

yeah it is a triple rec but it doesn't have a head phone jack right? that is a 100 watt tube amp and i personally would not try to connect it to headphones or a PC.

if you are interested in recording audio from this and acoustic and other- then a mike is what you need. unfortunately this is not the right forum for this imo.

hop on over to Riffs and Recordings, read thru there, search on mikes, like a Sure-57 for example, and then post your question over there, and yes you will need some sort of interface.