I'm working on customizing an old epiphone LP junior, I had laying around. I'm puting all new electronics, tuners, nut, and even refinishing it. I'm trying to decide on new pups for it, and can't make a decision. It's not a distortion problem, just a tone problem. I looked through a few other threads, and couldn't find quite the right answere, so I'm hoping someone can help.

Like I said, it's an Epiphone Les Paul Junior. Most of the time I play through a Peavey 6505+. Other times I play through an epiphone practice amp, with a Vox Tonelab LE.

I Play mostly Hard rock and metal. I would prefer to stay with passives, but would go with actives, if they gave better tone. I'm looking for something that will balance well with the LP, and give good Harmonics. There are just so many out there, it's hard to decide. I hope I can get some good imput, THANKS.
Guitars
- Ibanez RG5EX1
- Ibanez S470DXQM
- Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Hey! i did same thing not too long ago. don't listen to assholes here, you can make them VERY playable. I have an EMG 81 in there right now. now i'm no metalhead so don't make assumptions. I'm happy with this because the 18v EMG provides decent tone. It's a plywood body, it's lacking. Actives do not depend much on wood type like other pups. but if you like passives. that's fine too. i had a GFS crunchy pat in it, and i also liked that quite a bit.

If you're looking for something cheap and good, GFS, if better consider EMG or duncan. check both sites for what you're looking for. hope this helped.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by _Tim_
Is the Epi. model standard with P90s or humbuckers?

Yeah it has A single Humbucker
Guitars
- Ibanez RG5EX1
- Ibanez S470DXQM
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
Hey! i did same thing not too long ago. don't listen to assholes here, you can make them VERY playable. I have an EMG 81 in there right now. now i'm no metalhead so don't make assumptions. I'm happy with this because the 18v EMG provides decent tone. It's a plywood body, it's lacking. Actives do not depend much on wood type like other pups. but if you like passives. that's fine too. i had a GFS crunchy pat in it, and i also liked that quite a bit.

If you're looking for something cheap and good, GFS, if better consider EMG or duncan. check both sites for what you're looking for. hope this helped.

Yeah, i was considering going with an active, either an EMG 81, or a Lace Drop & Gain, which i've heard really good things about. I just need to look as the control cavity, which is really small, and see if I can fit a battery. Othewise I'm considering routing a spot under the pickgaurd. I havn't heard of GFS before, but will look it up. Price really isn't an issue really. Do you have any opinion on the passive EMG's like an H4 or something.

The two passives, I was considering was a Dimarzio Breed Pickup, or a Duncan Atrenative 8 SH-15
Guitars
- Ibanez RG5EX1
- Ibanez S470DXQM
+1 on the GFS.
Vintage 59 is very good.

But for a junior, I'd HIGHLY suggest the mean 90.
I put on in along with a rolling TOM and an overwound strat middle(reverse wound) pickup in the neck.
Put in a 3-way siwtch.
It's got alot of tone now. I've done the same setup(omitting the TOM bridge) on a squier telecaster and the two are still VERY different. I also hardwired the tone and put in an individual volume for each pickup in the junior. very, very versatile.

You'll like it when your done if you do the same.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
no worries about batteries, i run two nine volts in that cavity.

GFS= guitarfetish.

TBH, I'd go active on this guitar and passive on another one, that's what i do, works great.

EMG 81 - at 18 v it's pretty open, has decent tone. not THE best cleans, but handles them decently. It's kind of meant to help overdrive amps, great for any type of distortion.

As long as you have tube amp, you don't have to worry about the EMG sounding too bad. I really do like it, and I'm not metal head either. good luck!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy

GFS= guitarfetish.

TBH, I'd go active on this guitar and passive on another one, that's what i do, works great.

EMG 81 - at 18 v it's pretty open, has decent tone. not THE best cleans, but handles them decently. It's kind of meant to help overdrive amps, great for any type of distortion.

As long as you have tube amp, you don't have to worry about the EMG sounding too bad. I really do like it, and I'm not metal head either. good luck!

Is that how you normally do the 81? I though it was a 9V for each pickup. Does it drive the amp alot at 18v?

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
most EMGs can actually take up to 22 or 27 volts. Its not the fact that it drives the amp harders, its the fact that it opens up the tone a whole lot more. although most people dont run 22 or 27 volts because it doesn't make as big of a difference as the jump from 9-18.

EMG's sound a bit compressed at 9v. the extra nine on it opens it up more, makes it sound more open.
Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
most EMGs can actually take up to 22 or 27 volts. Its not the fact that it drives the amp harders, its the fact that it opens up the tone a whole lot more. although most people dont run 22 or 27 volts because it doesn't make as big of a difference as the jump from 9-18.

EMG's sound a bit compressed at 9v. the extra nine on it opens it up more, makes it sound more open.

Thanks man.
Any other tips?

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy

GFS= guitarfetish.

Thanks man, i think i might try the EMG, both by other guitars have passives, so it would be nice to have one with actives. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Guitars
- Ibanez RG5EX1
- Ibanez S470DXQM
no problem. do 18V man, im telling you. it's hard to fit both batteries at first, i have the same exact guitar, but they fit. just don't mess with the ground, assuming you've shielded the cavity. and EMG's do not require bridge grounding, unless you'd like a nice zap to the lips when yo ustep near a microphone. i suggest the 81 for the bridge. Good luck bro!

Quote by Invader Jim
Well just wanted to say that i decided to go with the EMG 81. Got one on ebay brand new for a good deal. Your right i could put two 9V it the control cavity. May I ask where you got an extra battery clip, and how you wired it.
Guitars
- Ibanez RG5EX1
- Ibanez S470DXQM