I was wondering what kinda pedals do you use? I can't find any actual bass effects so i was just wondering if you could use guitar pedals? Or if you could show me some links to bass effects... thanks
I use a KP3, which is a mini Kaoss Pad, and sometimes a big muff pi nyc (hopefully a bass big muff soon) and a jimi hendrix signature dunlop wah (the silver one with the rubber skirt).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by shampooboy37
I can't find any actual bass effects so i was just wondering if you could use guitar pedals?

did you try... google? Or f you go to musicians friend, you can check out: bass-->effects, then start by looking at that list of products.

Or pick the website of any big effects manufacturer and look under their bass section: boss, digitech, electro harmonix, etc.

I refuse to believe that 30 seconds of decent searching has left you unable to find any actual bass effects.
I have a boss odb-3, dod fx25b and a dunlop bass wah. They are all pretty nice, they sound best with my sterling and my new rig makes the odb-3 sound tons better.
I recently got a Ashdown James Lamenzo Hyperdrive (about 53 minutes ago in fact) it is with out doubt, the best bass distortion out there, keeping ALL the low end and capable of any kind of tone you want, ranging from a bluesy warm over drive to a heavy metal cello effect.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^Soundclips please?
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Compression/distortion and filter type effects need to be bass-specific (this includes wah) but time-based or modulation effects (delay, chorus, tremolo, flanger, phaser) generally work fine for both.
Quote by smb
Compression/distortion and filter type effects need to be bass-specific (this includes wah) but time-based or modulation effects (delay, chorus, tremolo, flanger, phaser) generally work fine for both.

Just think of this ^ when you try to figure out effects TS, SMB has the general rule down really well here. There are a lot of bass specific choruses too even though it's a modulation effect, because some people like the low frequencies to go unprocessed while the higher frequencies are affected by the pedal. I've seen flangers with a seperate bass input too (well the boss at least) and have no idea what that's about, I'll have to look into it.

speaking of time-based effects, anyone see the new boss slicer pedal? I am greatly intrigued.

edit: Pitch shifting/octave pedals are hit and miss, good ones handle bass, but some don't track well on lower bass notes.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jun 24, 2008,
i have a boss odb-3, but it rarely sees use. i think it muddys my tone too much, and i can never seem to get the sound i want... yes i know how to eq and set up the pedal, and its accually the better than the digitech i tried out for a spell i just never feel the need for it. i can get plenty of bite without the need for pedal shanagans.

.....however after hearing a tech 21 sans amp in action, i think the boss pedal may be sold very soon
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly
I use an Ibanez PD7 Phat-Head Overdrive its properly sweeeet, cheap too!
GEAR
***BASS***
*Fender Jaguar Bass
*Fender Standard Precision Bass Relic
*Orange CR50 BXT Amp
*Electro-Harmonix Bass Blogger
***GUITAR***
*Squier Bullet Strat
*ESP EC-50
*Orange CR10 Amp
*Digitech Grunge Pedal
Quote by FenderKid87
^Soundclips please?

Sure, there is a clip in my profile, forgive the playing, it's not the best in the world, but you get the idea.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ive got a Zoom B1 multi effects processor
its just fine
cost 40£, (70 to 80$)
totally useable and customizable effects
the only drawback is that you have to scroll through the different effects
to get from one to another.
cheep and cheerful lol
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by FbSa
Bp-200 multi effects pedal. Works for me, and I can get an almost perfect Anesthia- Pulling teeth sound, I just can't get the wah right.

I managed to get something close by using a Digitech Bass Synth Wah with it's synth setting. I hated the sound of it originally but I never though that it sounds good with distortion. My only issue is that it's automatic, I'm still trying to find a manual synth pedal.
I use a Digitech Digital Chorus pedal on probably half the songs I play with my band. Sometimes it's a light use of it, sometimes it's saturated, but it does wonders to enhance the richness of my tone when I'm playing in a treble-ish tone. Even when I'm using warm tones it sounds good really. Other than chorus, I use fuzz face in small dosages, and flanger in segments.

I also used to use an amp modeling pedal made by Zoom for a while before it broke, which obviously would emulate an amp/bass rig for my tone. I got very nice results with that. I could get anywhere from a very close replica of Geddy's growl treble tone (ie Working Man), to Roger Waters warm groove tone.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
I've got some guitar pedals and I enjoy messing around with those from time to time (on guitar). With bass however, I find effects just get in the way of the overall sound. I'd consider chorus, octave and reverb when necessary, but nothing more extreme.
boss overdrive pedal. scored it used for 50 bucks at guitar center a while back. its a must have in my opinion if you play heavy music because a trebly traditional bass sound (like Paul McCartney's) doesnt go well with it. also you can make it sound synthy for a more contemporary sound.
the effects listed in my sig are all for bass. there's a subharmonic generator and switchable shape filter built into my head that also see alot of use. I'll post a pic of my pedalboard if i can figure out how to get it off my phone cam
Traben Array
2x Tech21 Sansamp RBI Bass preamps
450w Power Amp
2x Gallien-Krueger 410
-
Handmade nylon-string classical guitar
-
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Line 6 Spider 2 250w combo
-
Various Lee Oskar and Honer harmonicas
-
Yamaha YPT-310
I play with a chorus pedal ALL the time. It really complements bluesy guitar somehow, which my guitarist is good at. Slash and Duff are a good example. It's a Boss Bass Chorus btw.
The Lomenzo is great, I tried it out for an hour or two at PMT, and it was only £60, I would recommend it if you are after distortion, but Im waiting for the MXR bass Fuzz or Bass Big Muff, becauase Im after Fuzz, hence why Im still using my ODB-3, its as close as I can get atm, but for bass distrotion/overdive the Hyperdrive really is the best bet, it was the first time the guy in charge of bass had head it to,he was impressed as much as me
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer (although this really sounds better with a guitar IMO) my Metal Muff occasionally (not too bad on the low end if you set its EQ right, but not as good as a dirt box designed for bass) and some cheap chorus pedal I bought at Target on a whim (and it actually sounds pretty damn good) I also occasionally use my crybaby (original, for guitar) as a filter to get some synth type sounds, but I don't really use it like one would traditionally use a wah because it sounds like ass when you do that with a bass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by FbSa
Bp-200 multi effects pedal. Works for me, and I can get an almost perfect Anesthia- Pulling teeth sound, I just can't get the wah right.

The wah on that pedal is almost impossible. I own the same pedal, btw. If I started using wah pedals more, I'd definitely look into a separate (single) pedal for this.

If you are looking for a synth wah btw, I'd recommend the Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah over the Digi Wah. Its slightly more versatile sound wise and I though it sounded better than the DigiTech.

I do think the Digitech chorus is the best pedal in its price range. I also own a DigiDelay, that I use a bit too much at times for my own good. And I have the ODB-3 Overdrive pedal as well.
Personally, I like both bass and guitar effects on bass. I use a Russian Big Muff, a Boss MT-2 with a couple of mods, a Boss ODB-3, and an Electronix Messdrive fuzz. For flanger I use the digitech Turbo Flange, and I have an Electro-Harmonix Bassballs. Now I need a wah.....
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I'm really liking the sound of that Ashdown pedal, I may have to pick one up, how does it compare with the Boss overdrive pedal?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
anyone use any decent delay pedal stuff? i've got some stuff for guitar but never really managed to think of any decent bass lines that can employ a delay pedal without it sounding too messy or boring

working on trying to get some custom stuff built into my bass although i've just had a kill switch put into my guitar for like 73p and found there is almost enough space for a KP2 and fuzz factory (ooo matt bellamy's sound will be mine so soon!)

Also....kill switch on a bass? worth doing cos I can do it for so cheap?
I must say, the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, although it being a guitar overdrive pedal, sounds quite nice with a bass.
Quote by Overture
I must say, the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, although it being a guitar overdrive pedal, sounds quite nice with a bass.

However, a Bass Big Muff is due to be released soon, so it would be a very good idea to wait and see what that is like first.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm really liking the sound of that Ashdown pedal, I may have to pick one up, how does it compare with the Boss overdrive pedal?[\quote]

They are very different, the ashdown is a much truer distortion in my opinion,and gives a great rumbling low end, its pretty heavy sounding, reasonably versatile and has a nice +10 swtich which brings up the volume, its a good solid case and looks cool like all Ashdown pedals, for its price its amazing

I just prefer fuzz,hence got my eye on the mxr bass fuzz coming out, I own the ODB-3 and prefer it to the ashdown as its closer to fuzz, but If I wanted proper bass distortion,Id snap that ashdown up
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by gm jack
However, a Bass Big Muff is due to be released soon, so it would be a very good idea to wait and see what that is like first.

Really now, I'd like to toy with it.