Does anyone know of any good programs to generate synth with? In terms of symphonic metal type stuff... And any tips for using the program effectively etc?
are you talking about a synth guitar effect or a computer program that generates synthesizer sounds?
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)
Quote by jcasey77
are you talking about a synth guitar effect or a computer program that generates synthesizer sounds?

Computer program
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
you do know that you can get a synth pedal right?

can i get a link?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
One way you can do it if your willing to take some time and download a couple programs get Guitar Pro and make the synth track the way you want it, export it and only it as a midi file and obtain a program like Reason and then import the midi file and find a synth patch that will suit your needs and export that as an audio file and then mix it in with your recording.
well I would suggest a program from arturia, they make fantastic emulation programs of some of the most popular analog synths from the 70's and 80's (analog is the way to go by the way). i would suggest the minimoog or prophet 5 sythesizers to get some amazing sounds (I have the minimoog myself) they are a bit pricey for the full programs, but you can download demos of them for free. then all you have to do is drop $30 bucks for a midi-usb adapter and you can plug a midi keyboard into your computer and play away. of course, you will need to do a little experimenting to figure out how to program them, or i can give you a crash course. arturia website
Gear:
Peavy Max-112
Quote by panterarocker
One way you can do it if your willing to take some time and download a couple programs get Guitar Pro and make the synth track the way you want it, export it and only it as a midi file and obtain a program like Reason and then import the midi file and find a synth patch that will suit your needs and export that as an audio file and then mix it in with your recording.

thanks dude, i might try that
the problem with the guitar pro method is that you only get a couple of preset synth sounds, i personally prefer making my own to suit my needs.
Gear:
Peavy Max-112
Quote by jcasey77
the problem with the guitar pro method is that you only get a couple of preset synth sounds, i personally prefer making my own to suit my needs.

From how you described the process, i can find a patch to suit my needs in in the second program, thus negating whatever patch was used in GP, or am i wrong?
Quote by XaureX
From how you described the process, i can find a patch to suit my needs in in the second program, thus negating whatever patch was used in GP, or am i wrong?

Yeah Reason will have a lot of patches and you can tweak any of the patches to the way you want or even make your own so you will get the sound you want. Its a large download but its extremely worth it and if you use a midi keyboard your possibilities are endless.
Quote by panterarocker
Yeah Reason will have a lot of patches and you can tweak any of the patches to the way you want or even make your own so you will get the sound you want. Its a large download but its extremely worth it and if you use a midi keyboard your possibilities are endless.

is the keyboard necessary to using the program??
Quote by XaureX
is the keyboard necessary to using the program??

Nope as long as you have the midi file from Guitar Pro or Power Tab.
Quote by panterarocker
Nope as long as you have the midi file from Guitar Pro or Power Tab.

Nice. thanks dude
can you tell me a bit more about reason, i like the sound of it, and where can i get it. is it free?
Gear:
Peavy Max-112
try the R&R section as we deal with VST synths all the time.
trigger them with MIDI and you are set to go.

I run Cakewalk Sonar Producer 7 in my studio which has a ton of great sounding synths however you need money for the program...

Tweak's Guide in my sig, read up on VSTs and MIDI
they work together most of the time.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/software_plugins.htm

Reaper has proper VST support but im not sure if it has any synths in the program...
you may find more in your local online music store. Try some samples and see what you like.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
try the R&R section as we deal with VST synths all the time.
trigger them with MIDI and you are set to go.

I run Cakewalk Sonar Producer 7 in my studio which has a ton of great sounding synths however you need money for the program...

annnd i lost u right when u said VST...
Quote by moody07747
check my edit on VSTs

virtual studio technology

THey explain vsti's and all that, but not really in lamens terms, so i still cant understand lol gawdimatool
In short, a VSTi is a software (virtual) instrument controlled by MIDI (basically data) which is fed into the computer using any cheap keyboard with MIDI output.

You hit a note on the keyboard, data is sent to the computer and into the VST program, and the VSTi triggers a signal telling the audio circuit to play "that" sound.

all of those steps are done very quickly...as soon as you hit the keyboard you will hear sound.

It is a little confusing at first. I have been running a studio for about 2 years and only started learning about MIDI and VST/VSTi about a month ago. Now I feel I know quite a bit about it. I mostly learned a lot from Tweaks Guide.
Quote by moody07747
In short, a VSTi is a software (virtual) instrument controlled by MIDI (basically data) which is fed into the computer using any cheap keyboard with MIDI output.

You hit a note on the keyboard, data is sent to the computer and into the VST program, and the VSTi triggers a signal telling the audio circuit to play "that" sound.

all of those steps are done very quickly...as soon as you hit the keyboard you will hear sound.

It is a little confusing at first. I have been running a studio for about 2 years and only started learning about MIDI and VST/VSTi about a month ago. Now I feel I know quite a bit about it. I mostly learned a lot from Tweaks Guide.

im not bein a dink or anything, but alot of that stuff is meaningless to me, i just want to know how to make cool sounding synth based around what i play on guitar. It really doesn't matter to me what kind of signal it is or how it works, so long as it sounds good and i dont need to formulate equations and stuff to use it properly lol