I've psyched myself out of catching a plane, as I am certain bad things are going to happen... This will be my longest trip on plane, by myself (without family/friends) I'm okay with 1 1/2 hour flights but the flights that go for 3 hours over a couple of states have freaked me out…

Once I’m in the flight (yes, I have to go) how should I stop myself from freaking out (like during take off, no music/electronic devices allowed)? How do you get over your flight nerves? Also, any funny stories about flying (not the goddamn mile high club)?
Quote by Lil_Ms_Sunshine
I've psyched myself out of catching a plane, as I am certain bad things are going to happen... This will be my longest trip on plane, by myself (without family/friends) I'm okay with 1 1/2 hour flights but the flights that go for 3 hours over a couple of states have freaked me out…

Once I’m in the flight (yes, I have to go) how should I stop myself from freaking out (like during take off, no music/electronic devices allowed)? How do you get over your flight nerves? Also, any funny stories about flying (not the goddamn mile high club)?

Well, this one time, my plane got hijacked by a bunch of terrorists, and an SAS team had to save us within a short amount of time or else we were going to get excuted.
Just make it so you're really, really tired when you board.

That way once you hit your seat you'll fall asleep, and might just nap through most of the flight.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by bendystraw
bring a switchblade in case somebody tries to cause trouble.

Oh, yes! That's exactly what you want to do so nobody causes trouble with you!

Warning: Carrying a switchblade may result in being tackled by just about everybody.

No music? WTF? That's really dumb. Just bring something to read, or like somebody else said, don't sleep before so you're real tired and fall asleep easy.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Nothing will happen. Just take bendystraw's advice. He knows what he's talking about. Just listen to your mp3, hold someone's hand, sleep? Just don't worry, the chances of it happening are basically zero.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
I've been on several 8-9 hour flights, twice without my parents (my sister was on them too though), as well as quite a few around 4-6 hours. You just get used to it. If you're really scared, stay up the night before the flight so you'll be really tired and sleep all through it.

Take off and landing is no different than shorter flights, so don't worry. Once you're at cruising altitude you can listen to music or watch movies if they have them, or you could bring a book and read.

Keep in mind that long flights are safer than driving. Almost all plane crashes happen during take off and landing, so the length of the flight is pretty much irrelevant. Also, longer flights are usually on larger aircraft, which are less likely to crash.

If you're really scared, just get a seat in first class and get completely drunk on the cheap alcohol they provide, and pass out so you dont remember flying at all
kill all humans
Well, I would just make sure that Samuel L. Jackson is on your plane. That way you should be pretty well-protected.
Quote by fallenangel20
I found a tick on my balls once.

No lie. There was actually a tick (as in the small, blood sucking insect) on my balls.

It freaked me out bad.

go tired, and if you are nervous, you wont get much sleep the night before, so it's a self correcting problems.. you just have to trust security... they are paid to keep everything safe.. also, it's safer to fly than to drive to the airport... it's extremely rare that a commercial plane goes down when considering the number flying per day... each plane is inspected by experts before each flight, you're in good hands...

i've been on some bad flights, where like an engine would go out, but planes are built to fly, pilots are trained very well, and they are engineered to stay in the air, everything will turn out fine
Quote by soulflyV
Bad things do happen if you try to catch a plane.

Those things weigh fucking tonnes.

Is it possible that the plane is made of paper and he is imagining all of this in his head?
Tranquilizers, and lots of them.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by E V H 5150

Warning: Carrying a switchblade may result in being tackled by just about everybody.

No music? WTF? That's really dumb. Just bring something to read, or like somebody else said, don't sleep before so you're real tired and fall asleep easy.

just not during takeoff, I jammed on my mp3 player my entire flight last time i flew, zeppelin at 30,000 feet is awesome.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by E V H 5150

Its only during take off and landing, it messes with the engines, apparently....
Quote by soulflyV
Bad things do happen if you try to catch a plane.

Those things weigh fucking tonnes.

I...

I think I love you.
think how many people fly a day, your way more likely to get into a car crash than a plane crash. the fact is with a plane you cant control what happens. take some benadryl and knock yourself out if you might pee your pants
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Thanks for the serious responses...
the flight was originally for 3 am, landing at 6am, but it got changed til 5:30 at night because of some strike...

Quote by Gargantuan
Is it possible that the plane is made of paper and he is imagining all of this in his head?

I am a female... last time I checked...

EDIT>
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i've been on some bad flights, where like an engine would go out, but planes are built to fly, pilots are trained very well, and they are engineered to stay in the air, everything will turn out fine

Yeah the last flight I was in, it caught on fire just before it landed... and when I was younger the pilot collapsed at the wheel.. and my Tourism teacher just informed me that the people who did 9/11 were trained pilots... *stupid teacher*
Last edited by Lil_Ms_Sunshine at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Lil_Ms_Sunshine
Thanks for the serious responses...
the flight was originally for 3 am, landing at 6am, but it got changed til 5:30 at night because of some strike...

YOU GET MY POINT.
Besides, you didn't tell us that in your first post.
Blah blah blah, your username should give your gender away since it says Ms. in it, blee blah bloo
Quote by Lil_Ms_Sunshine

....Girlie?

You'll be find, just don't worry about it. You'll be shaky and everything before you get going, but when it starts, it feels just like a car ride.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
actually listening to your mp3 player during take off and landing isn't a problem.
i'm a A340 pilot and i can safely say that using electronic devices will not make the aircraft instantly crash. however, it is proven that any devices which emit radio frequencies (cell phones, portable radios etc) will interfere with the aircraft's radio and navigation equipment .
so my advice to you is, relax and enjoy the flight, think of it as a 'bus' ride taking you from point A to point B. the pilot's are well trained to handle almost any situation possible and the aircraft are very well maintained. statistically, its safer to fly than to walk down the street.
to an epic mistake: zeppelin at 30,000 is amazing, especially if your co-pilot likes zeppelin too
to TS, just relax, everything will be fine.
just watch out for snakes. that is a situation you dont want to find yourself in while on a plane.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Tranquilizers, and lots of them.

Mr. T approves this post.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I'm used to 6 hour flights and I fly frequently from California to Hawaii and back. Theres nothing to worry about. Especially a 3 hour flight thats nothing.

Bring some tylenol PM you'll pass right out. I swear by those and are dependent on them now. Kinda sad.
I was watching a programme the other day saying there's a 1/6,000,000 chance of crashing while in the air, there's more chance of crashing on the car journey to the airport, so don't worry bout it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I like planes, take off and landings are one of the best parts to me. I'm about to go on like 4 hour flight , but sometimes I get to thinking a little too much like you. I usually just try to think about the car crash thing lefty said.
Quote by FriskyDrisky
haha i dunno know. like if i sh*t or fart i know they smell really bad, but I enjoy the smell. Like I'll fart on my hand and then smell my hand. I dont think thats normal though...
Quote by bendystraw
bring a switchblade in case somebody tries to cause trouble.

yes, and that wont cause trouble.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by ckellingc
Just don't watch the movie Airplane beforehand...

even though it is a great movie...

I like Airplane.
"Stop calling me Shirley".
Well I'd say that 3 hour flights are nothing compared to the however many hour long flights from Germany to the US. So don't fret x)
You have to like, drug me to get me on a plane, I'm starting to panic alittle just thinking about them.
♥xx♥