Hey can anyone tell me some bands that use 5-string basses? A friend of mine let me borrow his, and all I know is Korn.

Edit from Orlando: Using correct spelling and grammar only takes a second.
Last edited by surge11 at Jun 24, 2008,
Claypool uses a 5 string on some Primus songs. ('my name is mud' for example)
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I play 5 string bass on every song, I just alter the position of the notes to incorporate the low B string when I want the extra growl. For example, if you're in normal tuning and you're playing a C or a D (3rd fret or 5th fret on A string) then you can drop down an octave and play them on the 1st or 3rd fret of the B string.

That way it doesn't matter if the band plays a 5 string, all that matters is that you're playing one so you should make use of the extended range.
Quote by Mescalino
Claypool uses a 5 string on some Primus songs. ('my name is mud' for example)

He never uses a 5 string, he uses a Carl Thompson 6 string.

John Myung from Dream Theater used a 5 String on their latest album Systematic Chaos.

Mike LePond(or Thomas Miller, if forget which at the time, I think LePond) used a 5 string on the epic feature song "The Odyssey" on the album titled The Odyssey by Symphony X.

Also keep in mind that you can transpose dropped tunings on a 4 string to a 5 string in standard, though it usually isn't advisable as the difficulty to play it probably skyrockets.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
the new and old bassist from disturbed uses/used five sting basses
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play bass.

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums
it won't harm the bass, but it will harm the children, and I for one love the children.

I love the children...
Look into some prog and death metal and you'll find a bunch of 5 string bassists.

3 inches of blood's bassists uses a 5 string, Def leppard's does also and Sepultura does so on some songs I think(roots, bloody roots comes to mind) if your looking for something easier though.

Or do what Malice said.
Between The Buried and Me and The Human Abscract both do. Both are the reasons I think Im gonna get one again.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Most bands that the guitarists use 7 strings have bassists that use 5'ers
I know there are alot of bands around here that use 'em
Protest the Hero, some brilliant 5 string taps in Sequoia Throne
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Protest the hero, Between the buried and me, The Human Abstract, Cannibal Corpse, Dream Theater (sometimes myung uses a 5 string bongo), Metallica
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Any song you can play on a 4 string can be played on a 5, and you have the low B for economy of movement. So you can just learn whatever appeals to you, pick a song you like.
Incubus' old bassist, Dirk Lance used to use one quite a bit as far as I'm aware.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by death.prog
John Myung from Dream Theater used a 5 String on their latest album Systematic Chaos.

Dude, Myung uses 6er, and you can hear the C string on the Systematic Chaos. I think beginning of Forsaken is played on the C string...
Last edited by MC_Rimes at Jun 25, 2008,
Stone sour uses 5 string in their earliest album, well i say 5 strings, its actually a 4 string tuned to BEAD.
You need a low B string to play Sad but True by Metallica I believe. Are there any other Metallica songs that need a low b as I've never come across one.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Systematic Chaos was recorded with a Bongo 5 string.

My bad, but Forsaken was recorded on a 6er, maybe he used his Yamaha signature as well...
Quote by MC_Rimes
My bad, but Forsaken was recorded on a 6er, maybe he used his Yamaha signature as well...

Quote by Wikipedia
During the recording of "Systematic Chaos" in 2006, Myung was seen using various MusicMan basses (most notably an Egyptian Smoke Bongo 5 HH as well as a Sterling H/SC, which can be seen a few times during in-studio videos and the EPK for this new album). At the beginning of the 2007 "Chaos in Motion" tour, he was spotted playing a MusicMan Bongo 5 HS in his signature "Inca Silver" (Flat Gray) finish on stage as opposed to his signature Yamaha instrument.

Since you said Forsaken was recorded with a 6er, I always wondered how come I never had any trouble playing it on a five... since it was recorded on a 5, like the rest of the songs.
I thought it was the intro, since my solo guitar player kept telling me it was in E, but now that I have actually tried to learn the song I know it is from D, so you are right once again.