Hi, i just joined UG recently and I need the help of fellow musicians to give me some opinions and advice on my band. I play bass for the band and we've been around for about 7-8 months. We used to have 3 original songs but due to line up changes we now only have 1(as the other guitarist claims that the 2 other compositions were his and forbides us to play it after his departure from the band). Our founder and lead guitarist of the band recently went M.I.A. We couldn't contact him, he's usually not at home and basicily we haven't been jamming for 4 weeks. The band has a few good gigs booked ahead and one is actually on this Saturday. I was thinking of replacing him first on guitars but if he decides to quit the band what should I do?BTW the rythm guitarist is the lead's cousin and he doesn't seem really that keen on being in the band in the first place. Chances are he might quit the band too if the lead guitarist leaves.( he actually plays for 2 other bands, so theres a bit of a commitment problem going on) . Should I find a replacement for guitars or should i take up guitars and find a bassist?

I've weighed the pros and cons of it and i've come down to this

Pros

-Its easier to find guitarists compared to bassist( whose actually commited)

-I dont have to spend money on new gear(We play metal and i dont have a decent
sounding metal axe)

Cons

-The new guitarist might change the direction and sound of the band

-It will probably take more time to teach the new guitarist our compositions( I
improvise alot on the bass parts, so i can teach the new bassist the parts easily)

-I probably have a better understanding about the bands direction and music compared to the rythm guitarist( he just joined the band about 2 months ago and he only gig with us once)

I would really appreciate the help and thanx in advance
My Gear

Fender 2006 Highway 1 Stratocaster with SD Hot rails on Bridge
ESP LTD F-104 Bass
Roland Cube 30
Boss 0D 20 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by Donkey_Balls at Jun 24, 2008,
Get a new guitarist.
New directions are good, and should always be embraced with an open mind and a willing heart. Nobody ever has a good understanding of the band's direction, assuming that creative input from everybody is allowed in the band, because that means it will go in many different directions, probably 4 in a 4-person band.

Also, good guitarists pick up songs quickly. You should be fine, if you can fine one in the next couple days.
Quote by Nathan_393
Get a new guitarist.
New directions are good, and should always be embraced with an open mind and a willing heart. Nobody ever has a good understanding of the band's direction, assuming that creative input from everybody is allowed in the band, because that means it will go in many different directions, probably 4 in a 4-person band.

Also, good guitarists pick up songs quickly. You should be fine, if you can fine one in the next couple days.

+1
take yourself and whoever else is fully committed and start a new band... it sounds like a totally disfunctional group you have... start a new band so you don't have to worry about anyone's feelings getting hurt.. just say your leaving to start a new project, and if someone is really committed like you are, you can ask them to join the new band
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
take yourself and whoever else is fully committed and start a new band... it sounds like a totally disfunctional group you have... start a new band so you don't have to worry about anyone's feelings getting hurt.. just say your leaving to start a new project, and if someone is really committed like you are, you can ask them to join the new band

Agreed.
Also, don't try to force a band in any one direction. Bands have a natural progression and direction that is dictated by the influences of it's individual members.
The wider the scope of influences in your band, the more varied your music will be, which is healthy, no one wants to be in a band that plays a set of songs that all sound alike.
Variation brings critical acclaim and builds up large followings, which in turn makes your band worth booking and paying well.
In other words, you get more gigs for more money.
Thanx for the replies and help guys. I would probably start on finding new replacements if both the guitarists continue on being like this. So far the band has a commited vocalist, drummer and bassist (me) so i guess it would be easier to juz find new guitars instead of forming a new band.
My Gear

Fender 2006 Highway 1 Stratocaster with SD Hot rails on Bridge
ESP LTD F-104 Bass
Roland Cube 30
Boss 0D 20 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Agreed.
Also, don't try to force a band in any one direction. Bands have a natural progression and direction that is dictated by the influences of it's individual members.
The wider the scope of influences in your band, the more varied your music will be, which is healthy, no one wants to be in a band that plays a set of songs that all sound alike.
Variation brings critical acclaim and builds up large followings, which in turn makes your band worth booking and paying well.
In other words, you get more gigs for more money.

Agreed, although maybe later on down the line it would be better if the variation were in your original songs as well as your covers
Quote by Donkey_Balls
Should I find a replacement for guitars or should i take up guitars and find a bassist?

Which instrument do you have more of an interest in playing? I'm assuming bass since you would have to "take up guitar". I believe you should stick to whatever you are best at unless you are willing to work hard to become just as good or better at the other instrument.
Quote by Donkey_Balls

-The new guitarist might change the direction and sound of the band

Don't worry about this at all. As Nathan_393 said new directions are a good thing.
Quote by Donkey_Balls

improvise alot on the bass parts, so i can teach the new bassist the parts easily)

This is a very minor problem. If he's good he should pick it up quickly. It may take slightly more time than learning the bass parts, but as long as he gets it soon enough it's no problem. I also don't see how much time it could possibly take to learn your compositions when you said you only have one original song right now.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Donkey_Balls
Thanx for the replies and help guys. I would probably start on finding new replacements if both the guitarists continue on being like this. So far the band has a commited vocalist, drummer and bassist (me) so i guess it would be easier to juz find new guitars instead of forming a new band.

its the same thing really, the main difference would be changing the name. there are much more benifets on forming a new band however, like no bull**** where old guitarists say they made a song, etc, because you guys would just start again.

if they are a good guitar player they will pick it up fast.

in one of the bands I'm in, for the first gig I played with them, I actually had 24 hours to learn all 10 of their songs. solos and all.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Donkey_Balls
So far the band has a commited vocalist, drummer and bassist (me) so i guess it would be easier to juz find new guitars instead of forming a new band.

Or you could take these fellows and start freash with a new band with them. BTW, with people truely commited in these positions you are the envy of every guitar player in the world (if the singer has any talent). You have the three most difficult parts to find, stumbling into some good guitar players shouldn't be too hard at all. Good luck!