Is there such thing?

I'm looking for a new guitar, and I love the look and feel of Ibanez's (mainly the S and RG series), but I'm clueless as of what I should get. I want a guitar with 24 frets, and a floating trem.

So, is there such thing as a non-prestige (or cheap) Ibanez that stays in tune when using the bridge - doing dives, etc? Or are the non-prestige Ibanez's strictly for stop-tail or string-through bridged guitars...
The SA's seem fairly cheap. I dunno if they have floating trems, but $100 and some locking tuners can solve that problem quite well.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Looking on the Ibanez website, it doesn't look like they do. Wouldn't a guitar with a Floyd Rose already have locking tuners anyway? Also, isn't it the bridge that is bad and would go out of tune quickly?

Sorry, I'm lacking knowledge with the whole Floyd Rose thing.

EDIT: That was to the second poster.

Also, used isn't an option. I live in Tasmania - a ****ty, small island - in Australia. We pretty much have nothing used-wise.
Last edited by BGSM at Jun 24, 2008,
the edge 3 bridges are great IF AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW HOW TO SET THEM UP!! and i know that because my RG has one. you just gotta find the sweet spot
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
My guitar teacher has 4 Ibanez's - 1 prestige - and he vouches by them. I guess he could help me set it up, if I got one.

Also, that S320 only has 22 frets. My budget would be around the $800 AUD mark for now. This is probably equal to 600 US.
Quote by BGSM
My guitar teacher has 4 Ibanez's - 1 prestige - and he vouches by them. I guess he could help me set it up, if I got one.

Also, that S320 only has 22 frets. My budget would be around the $800 AUD mark for now. This is probably equal to 600 US.

epiphone prophecy maybe?
OFR and everything
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-FUTURA-CustomFX-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo-Electric-Guitar?sku=515616
and you could buy two lol
I don't really think there are any or every RG I've played(wich has been quite a number) has been setup very poorly. I suggest you search online for a good 2nd hand ibanez there are way better ones on 2nd sale than the crap coming out now.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by zxkevkop

That has to be the ugliest guitar I've ever seen Also, way over my budget.

Quote by FretboardToAsh
I don't really think there are any or every RG I've played(wich has been quite a number) has been setup very poorly. I suggest you search online for a good 2nd hand ibanez there are way better ones on 2nd sale than the crap coming out now.

Reword that first sentence please... I prefer buying in person aswell, don't want to send lots of money to someone, then receive a guitar that I find a pain to play.
Quote by BGSM
That has to be the ugliest guitar I've ever seen Also, way over my budget.

Reword that first sentence please... I prefer buying in person aswell, don't want to send lots of money to someone, then receive a guitar that I find a pain to play.

Lol i linked the worng one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-EM2-CustomFX-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo-Electric-Guitar?sku=515613
every time i try out an rg at guitar center theyre set u really bad so you cant really judge them by playing one of the many that are at store that havent been set up.

i havent even tuned my in like a week or so and i always do dive bombs or dime squeals
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by meanppls7
the edge 3 bridges are great IF AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW HOW TO SET THEM UP!! and i know that because my RG has one. you just gotta find the sweet spot

no..

The edge III is made of inferior metals and crafted altogether shoddily. The knife edges will wear out after a while and you'll be stuck with a trem that doesn't return as it's supposed to (major tuning issue with a trem).

to answer the TS's question, you don't need locking tuners if you have a double locking trem system. that's why there's fine tuners on the bridge and a locking nut, so you can lock the nut and make fine tune adjustments via the bridge. even though you want 24 frets, i'd look into an ibanez s series guitar (only 22 frets) as their zr trems are much more durable and stable than an edge III bridge
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by BGSM
Reword that first sentence please...

why would I wanna do that?
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
shredhead22: i didnt mean that edge 3 is like the best one out there if thats what you thought obviously they arent since theyre sort of mid-range guitars from ibanez
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by meanppls7
shredhead22: i didnt mean that edge 3 is like the best one out there if thats what you thought obviously they arent since theyre sort of mid-range guitars from ibanez

i realize that. i was just trying to say it really doesn't matter how well you set it up, over time it wont be a reliable choice in trems
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by FretboardToAsh
why would I wanna do that?

Do you mean that every Ibanez RG you've played was set up well, but the bridges were poor?

Are there any ZR trems on 24 fret guitars?
Quote by BGSM
Do you mean that every Ibanez RG you've played was set up well, but the bridges were poor?

Herman Li's signature guitar has 24 frets (With the top 4 scalloped) and some kind of ZR trem.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by BGSM

ah I get your point, allright then.

I own a RG Prestige, wich was setup at the shop(it's the kind of shop that takes it apart, sets it up and if they don't like it send it back) and it's great. The knife is a bit worn down with the years but I can play around that.
I've played several Ibanez RG's, most of them set up poorly from bridges to tuning. And I've played the occasional RG that didn't realy need anything done to it but still didn't stay in tune.
UG's Flamenco Club
No such thing as a cheap Floyd Rose-equipped guitar that has anything but a pretty useless tremolo on it. To get a good tremolo, you're looking at mid-range at least. Anything under that, just don't bother with the Floyds. A cheap Floyd can often goes out of tune even when you're not touching the trem at all. A Floyd Rose is a precision piece of equipment, and you need a gooden for it to be worth it at all. Get a hardtail or Tune-O-Matic equipped guitar if you're not going to be spending much. I'm pretty sure Ibanez do plenty of lower-end ones with solid bridge. That way, your guitar stays in tune, and you only have the crappy stock 'INF' pickups to worry about!
Quote by jborden07
NO SUCH THING!!!

I've never done a dive and stayed in tune on any guitar.

Then you suck at setting up guitars.

The whole point of a Floyd is they stay in tune - do you think they'd be so popular with whammy abusers if they didn't work?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for everyones help. This is just a guide for now, I'm not going out and buying a guitar tomorrow.

I'll play some mid-range to higher IBZ's, sometimes a shop down here has sales on, so they might go a bit cheaper aswell. I'll try out some hardtails aswell.

It's my opinion that if you're shooting in the low-end to mid-range guitars, just avoid trems altogether. You can't go wrong with a solid bridge. As you get into the more expensive, more professional guitars, the trems start to get useable. If you really must have a Floyd Rose (or equivalent), you're looking at at least mid-range. May I recommend Ibanez' ZR trem. It's a fantastic FR-alike, and in my opinion is even better seeing as it doesn't use a knife edge. The ZR can be found on some mid-range Korean-made Ibanez guitars.
I can't buy used, I live in a **** area.

I'll try out some Jacksons. Do they have decent bridges?