does anyone know how to achieve that sound marty gets out of his vibrato? the way he makes it break into some insane harmonic sound,as in the first solo in hangar 18 and one of the solos in take no prisoners
i tried my most violent vibrato but it still doesnt happen,whats the trick? or is it marty's own style/secret?
Pinch harmonic? Or maybe he just has a crazy wide vibrato. Maybe try lighter strings and such.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
its usually not a pinch harmonic,sometimes it is,but what im talking about is when its a regular note and the vibrato makes it sorta break up into a harmonic note,its like he tears in apart!
Try picking the note hard, and maybe bend down to the note starting with wide vibrato.
This might sound basic, but have you tried the tremolo bar? instead of using your hands? or combining both? That first bit on Hanger 18 sounds like he bends the string, then uses the bar. You might want a floyd rose setup, to start with, and then not too much string tension.
yeah i tried the whammy bar,but it still doesnt give that sound,but i didnt know about string tension,lighter strings?
wide vibrato, and amp turned up so you can get feedback. protect your ears too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's his fingers and his tone.I doubt you'll ever be able to emulate the exact Marty's vibrato.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Dave_Mc
wide vibrato, and amp turned up so you can get feedback. protect your ears too.

This. The "harmonic" sound is actually feedback and not an actual a harmonic.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

vibratoing just right emphasises it, too. makes the note "scream" a bit, even if you don't achieve feedback. but obviously getting feedback as well is the optimum outcome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?