Hi, I am currently on the market for a new amp that will excell at relatively low levels of distortion. I will be using it in indie rock and progressive rock bands and I would obviously like to sound good. I am not exactly sure on the wattage that I need, I think 20 might be a good miniumum.

Anyways I would probably want a single channel >20 watt tube amp that costs less than 1500, and I would definately go used. Any suggestions would be great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-J20-20W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483053X
I looked at this, it seems really cool but I am wondering if it will be loud enough to gig with.
!
I'm not familiar with Ampeg's products but I hear good things. I like the Fenders and they seem to fit your bill along with a Peavey Classic 30. Maybe you can define 'low levels of distorion' better. You mean mainly clean or disti at low volume?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender,Tube-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps3,Page-2.gc?o=2&ipp=15

There are some higher priced ones obviously and higher wattage. I would think 20 watts would be enough but you may want to get to say 40 or so depending on size of gigs and volume of drummer and whether or not you would be mic'd.

what kinds of bands specifically? anyway, good thread and bump for ya
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 24, 2008,
You could seek out an old Traynor YBA-2A and save yourself about $1200! I have one, it's probably perfect for you.

The Ampeg your looking at is a great amp. A Fender Deluxe Reverb RI would be great, too, although it might struggle a little in the volume department. I find 15W amps to be louder than the DRRI's 22W.

You could maybe land a used Swart Atomic Space Tone amp. It's another 6V6 based amp with tube reverb, tremolo, and rectifier. It's a beautiful amp.

You may also like the Blackstar Artisan 15. It's two channels, but not in a clean/dirty kinda way. Just two individually voiced channels that you can choose between or blend. I have a strong interest in it's big brother.

edit:

Quote by SG thrasher

I'd probably go for the head, and match it with a cheaper, easier to manage, 1x12 or 2x10 cab. But a nice suggestion!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Jun 24, 2008,
Yeah I almost grabbed an old 50 watt traynor bass head a month or two back but it sold too fast.
Some bands that have a similar sound to what I'm looking at are pavement, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, RHCP and the white stripes. I understand that these bands all sound fairly different but that is the sort of level I am looking at.

Basically my ideal setup for an amp would be one channel, 30 Watts, 5-10 band graphic EQ, with a Volume control and an attenuator. I don't know if this exists in a head or combo form but if it does that would be boner.

Do you know anywhere around Vancouver that sells peavey amps?
!
Quote by ahallbom
Basically my ideal setup for an amp would be one channel, 30 Watts, 5-10 band graphic EQ, with a Volume control and an attenuator. I don't know if this exists in a head or combo form but if it does that would be boner.

Do you know anywhere around Vancouver that sells peavey amps?

Ah... I misunderstood. I was thinking <20W not >20W. Gotcha.

Your parameters are tough. Why one channel? Most amps at the 30W and up range are going to have two. Why an equalizer? You can always get yourself a nice MXR 10 band or something. And why an attenuator? Certainly a decent master volume should suffice.

Relax those requirements, and something like a Traynor YCV 40 would do a nice job covering all the bands you're talking about for less money than you're looking to spend.

You could get the size and eq on a second hand Mesa, but you'd have two (or more) channels to work with. Anything from the DC series to a Mark IV would do you nicely.

A Vox AC30 has two channels, but really behaves like a one channel amp. You could use it for all the bands you're interested in, despite the fact that it's not really associated with any of them.

A Fender Super Reverb would be in the same category as the Vox, but might be overmatched with Pavement or Smashing Pumpkins. Although a good fuzz and OD in front of it should take care of all your dirty sounds, and your cleans would be absolutely amazing.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah I'm definately looking at the traynors, do you think the YCV40 or the Blue one would suit me better? I haven't been able to try them yet but I am trying to get out to the Tom Lee.
!
I think the 40's a better fit for you. Brighter cleans for your RHCP and Floyd, more modern flavored gain for your Pavement and Pumpkins.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Alright, I'm going to go out on another amp hunting adventure. I'm going to try out both Traynors and if possible a Classic 30. By the way you have been extremely helpfull.

Also, I'm wondering if a Orange Rocker 30 would do this type of thing well.
!
The Rocker 30's a cool amp, but maybe a little too vintage sounding for you. You'd be better off stretching for the Rockerverb 50 if you wanted an Orange. In that class of amps, I think the Mesas would suit you really nicely.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I just found a 1967 Traynor YVM-1 amp for sale for 400 dollars Canadian, is this a good price?
I think that this might be just what I am looking for and its not to expensive either.
!
Quote by ahallbom
I just found a 1967 Traynor YVM-1 amp for sale for 400 dollars Canadian, is this a good price?
I think that this might be just what I am looking for and its not to expensive either.

Ha! I have one of those!

While it's a really cool item, I tend to doubt it's for you unless it's been modified, or you're prepared to mod it. What it is is a four channel PA head (VM = Voice Master). Tough to get any overdrive out of it at all without a pedal. I bought it to mod. But in the meantime, I use it as a PA and it's great. For my son's band, we ran two vocal mics and one guitar directly thru it.

I paid less than $400, but the one I have is pretty beat up. Like all Traynors, though, it's war-scarred exterior belies it's fully functional interior.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Kustom Defender has 1 channel, has nice cleans, and a pretty mild overdrive that can do classic rock when cranked. It has a Master Volume so you can saturate your tubes at extreme bedroom volumes and get OD. You can use the Master bypass if you just want to crank it. It is 50 watts though, and it's backordered at Musician's Friend, and I think at 123Music as well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-The-Defender-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482291
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
well it is in good condition with new tubes and a 3prong chord, he seems pretty firm on the 400. I was thinking of picking it up and modding it in the future, and using an OD/Distortion.
!