I've played guitar for some months now, i can play some songs in standard tuning and drop d, My guitar (Ibanez RGR321) currently has 0.9 strings but i wanna be able to tune to Drop C so im thinking of buying ernie ball beefy slinky 0.11
But the thing is, i've never changed strings before, should i try to do it on my own or
let the guys at my local store change it for about 30$ ?
Im afraid if i do it on my own, ill do a mistake and mess up the guitar or something
The guitar has a fixed bridge and reveresed headstock
changing strings is easy

jus youtube it... they'll explain^^
Drum drum drum away!
$30!? Wow I'd like their job. Changing strings is no where near as complicated as it sounds.

All you have to do it wrap the string 3 times round the pole before putting it through the hole.

Pull it tight then tug it upwards to kinda lock it in. Then cut off most of the excess leaving about 1.5 inches left incase the string comes off whilst stretching.

Then you tune then stretch by placing your thumb and index finger either side of the string and pushing, then tune again and stretch until when stretched the string doesn't go out of tune much.

Then do the next string then the next. Only take one string off at a time however as it keeps some of the tension in the neck and is better for your guitar.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
Yeah, it's easy to do yourself. Although i'd reccomend a peg winder or something. The first time I changed strings I made a severe cockup and made the worst winds I have EVER seen!

But, just changes strings for the second time and it went about 100% better. It acuually looks slightly professional now...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Jun 30, 2008,
it's just practice. you need to end up with about 3 wraps around the tuning peg.

BUT you are talking about going up a couple of string gauges, you may need truss rod, action and intonation adjusting. that sounds like about $30 for a guitar tech.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
a lot needs to be adjusted. the truss rod and action. you're going from light to heavy gauge strings. tension would change in the neck. a guitar tech should charge you for that but i dont think $30 is reasonable.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
that "how to make your electric guitar play great" book by dan erlewine is a really good read. probably worth investing in, as it's saved my ass a couple of times.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't say it is a bad price. Nut may need to be recut to go up a couple of gauges. Intonation would need to be adjusted along with the russ rod. The the shop has to pay wages along with taxes and they have other costs such as rent and electricity. If you were running your own buisness you would probably end up charging around the same or more.
$30 is a RIP OFF to JUST change strings... local music stores around me charge $0-5 for the labour + the price of strings.
dude i play 9s and i go from standered to Drop D and almost every ofther drop tunning all the time just keep the same gauage and replace (look on youtube or search google or somin)
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by ryphe
I've played guitar for some months now, i can play some songs in standard tuning and drop d, My guitar (Ibanez RGR321) currently has 0.9 strings but i wanna be able to tune to Drop C so im thinking of buying ernie ball beefy slinky 0.11
But the thing is, i've never changed strings before, should i try to do it on my own or
let the guys at my local store change it for about 30$ ?
Im afraid if i do it on my own, ill do a mistake and mess up the guitar or something
The guitar has a fixed bridge and reveresed headstock

not a hard thing to do.
www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
Quote by leviticus_22953
a lot needs to be adjusted. the truss rod and action. you're going from light to heavy gauge strings. tension would change in the neck. a guitar tech should charge you for that but i dont think $30 is reasonable.

come on that's gonna take at least an hour, i don't think $30 is unreasonable. that's what labour rates are these days when you add in wages, overheads etc.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
come on that's gonna take at least an hour, i don't think $30 is unreasonable. that's what labour rates are these days when you add in wages, overheads etc.

because when i get my guitar adjusted, techs only charge me about $5-10.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
because when i get my guitar adjusted, techs only charge me about $5-10.

well, you get what you pay for.................

- Jimi Hendrix
Had a free setup done at the shop because I just bought the guitar.

According to my receipt, the setup w/o the strings would have cost $50.
If i change to 0.10 gauge instead, would i still need to adjust the truss rod and all the other adjustements?
$30! that's crazy! the shop i bought my washburn at only charges $8!

You need to look around for a different place.
My Gear:
Washburn WI64
Fender CD-60

Quote by f22master
it is a tracking device so the aliens can find you and take you into their ship and do experiments on you!!!! DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

Quote by YourMessiah666
definitely sexy. all washburn guitars are sexy