Hi,
I am about to buy a PRS Standard Satin 22 and there is an option of wide thin or wide fat. I will go try both during the weekend but i would also like your advice from personal experience. My hands are normal, not small, not big. Is the thin neck going to be better for faster playing? I have been playing for 8 months, and my hand still gets a bit painful if i wonder around the first 5 frets too long. I am playing a Gibson SG Standard now.

Thanks for your time!
Dimis
Quote by dimis
Hi,
I am about to buy a PRS Standard Satin 22 and there is an option of wide thin or wide fat. I will go try both during the weekend but i would also like your advice from personal experience. My hands are normal, not small, not big. Is the thin neck going to be better for faster playing? I have been playing for 8 months, and my hand still gets a bit painful if i wonder around the first 5 frets too long. I am playing a Gibson SG Standard now.

Thanks for your time!
Dimis

Don't buy the new guitar. Practice more. I have a feeling that you have too much cash on you; remember - it's not the guitar that is playing, it is the player. Gibson is good enough, trust me, just practice.
Well if you've played for 8 months and feel you need a PRS then you probably have very good ears. The pain thing in your hand is probably from inexperience, as stretching between frets have more to do with actually stretching now and then rather than having naturally big hands. The PRS has a 25" scale which is nice, I think the SG has 24.75" but I'm not sure, at least the Les Pauls do.

The wide thin carve is very comfortable and strat-like, I'd say go for it if you want to play faster stuff. Obviously it's more than possible to play fast on a thicker neck, but it might be more straining in the long run. The advantages in sound aren't that big with the wide fat carve.
Quote by Aziraphale
Well if you've played for 8 months and feel you need a PRS then you probably have very good ears. The pain thing in your hand is probably from inexperience, as stretching between frets have more to do with actually stretching now and then rather than having naturally big hands. The PRS has a 25" scale which is nice, I think the SG has 24.75" but I'm not sure, at least the Les Pauls do.

The wide thin carve is very comfortable and strat-like, I'd say go for it if you want to play faster stuff. Obviously it's more than possible to play fast on a thicker neck, but it might be more straining in the long run. The advantages in sound aren't that big with the wide fat carve.

just to answer on this, that i practise at least 1 and a half hours every day (i have subclinical OCD!), three times that during the weekend, so is the pain normal after 8 months? when i say hand i mean the muscle. my fingertips are like rocks now... lol