Page 1 of 2
Ok I was just wondering if people could help me out. Basically I want a few people to post up thier list of ten songs (lead guitar), 1 being something so easy that someone thats never played a guitar could learn in a couple of hours, 2 being something a little harder ect and 10 being something that even experienced guitarists still have difficulty with. I'm just trying to get some kind of bar to set myself so I can see myself improving and thought this would be a good way of doing that. Thanks.
I know some really excellent guitarists that cant play sweet child of mine, so this thread is useless as some crap players may be able to play something harder than you but can't play anything else.
Quote by uvq
I know some really excellent guitarists that cant play sweet child of mine, so this thread is useless as some crap players may be able to play something harder than you but can't play anything else.

if everyone starts bitching every thread becomes useless, even if i must admit its not easy to make a list like that
everyone rates difficulty differently.
It'd be impossible to come up with a "Default" list.
Been away, am back
=1)smells like teen spirit (of course)
=1)Smoke on the water
=1)Sunshine of your love
4)Sweet child o' mine
5)Laid to rest
6)Number of the beast
7)One
8)Thunderhorse
9)Ashes of the wake (instrumental)
10) Devil went down to georgia (metal version)

those are basically my take on the list, but different things for different people
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
what's with all the people putting teen spirit at the top of the list? There's nothing about that song that makes it something that "someone thats never played a guitar could learn in a couple of hours".

Beginner songs are stuff like "Mull of Kintyre" or "Summertime Blues"...but it's right that there's no way to make a list like this, you can't just learn an easy song, then learn a harder one, then a harder one and bam...you're a guitarist. Powerlevelling doesn't happen in guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
what's with all the people putting teen spirit at the top of the list? There's nothing about that song that makes it something that "someone thats never played a guitar could learn in a couple of hours".

the true truth!

better:

1) some Ramones (rockaway beach, blitzkrieg bop...)
2) some AC/DC (lets say... highway to hell )

and if you want to play nirvana id rather put come as you are first
Yeah, Highway to Hell is pretty straightforward.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

He wants easy lead parts. And I'd say smells like teen spirit is pretty easy. As for the others, I can play eruption and one, so. . . Its different for everyone. Here is my list.
1. Smells like teen spirit-Nirvana.
2. Iron man-ozzy.
3. Million dollar man-kutless.
4. Rise against-p.o.d.
5. Chasing shadows at midnight-pillar.
6. Whispers in the dark-skillet.
7. The bitter end-sum 41.
8. One-metallica.
9. Through the fire and flames-dragonforce.
10. Freebird-lynyrd skynyrd

But that's just my list. I'm working on # 9 right now. Yay. Just play what you want. Find a hard song that you like in the tabs, and make it a goal to be able to play that song all the way through. That's what I did with 'one'.
Last edited by --LP-- at Jun 24, 2008,
He also asked for something that somebody whose never played a guitar can manage - that means no lead parts as far as I'm concerned.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
He also asked for something that somebody whose never played a guitar can manage - that means no lead parts as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm... fair enough. I see your point. When I started playing guitar, all I could play was powerchords. And I sucked at them. Lol
I can't think of any 1s so I'm just going to list a few 10s, some of them are just artists that have a consistently technical output and some are actual songs.

10 - Necrophagist
10 - Brain Drill
10 - Guthrie Govan
10 - Allan Holdsworth
10 - Michael Hedges
10 - Concierto de Aranjuez
10 - Recuerdos De La Alhambra
10 - Duane Allman
10 - Derek Trucks.

I think that about covers that end.

Edit: added a couple of slide things just to cover all the bases.

Edit2: Stiney, get me a Danish!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 24, 2008,
1) Exo-Politics - Muse. Incredibly easy right down to the 20-30 second easy solo.

2) Supermassive Black Hole - Muse. A step up from 1, but not much, solo is simple. Main riff involves good neck/ear coordination, and good movement control (ability to move from low end of neck to high end accurately)

3) Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple. Simple opening riff and verse riff, slightly more complex towards solo.

4) Ironman - Black Sabbath. Simple main riff, slightly complex but incredibly fun to play riffs. Solo requires intermediate skill.

5) War Pigs - Black Sabbath. Easy main riff, difficult solos in between. Will test your ability if you have trouble with first 4. Good song for improvisation if you find the b10p9p7 transitions difficult, throw in some Ironman (I suggest the 7-8-9-7-8-9 riff, right before the Ironman solo)

6) Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult. Now we're getting serious! Fun main riff, but hard to keep tempo if playing in full band environment. Requires much practice. Solo requires knowledge of tremolo picking and advanced hammer-on/pull-off abilities.

7) Master of Puppets - Metallica. Fun intro riff, but fun is replaced with challenging after that. Requires overall advanced skill.

8) One - Metallica. Wondering why this is here? Because although the slow part is intermediately skilled, the famed "Darkness" part has been known to eat practicing guitarists ALIVE, digest them, and spit them out as a hunk of meat that used to be an amateur guitarist. To quote Breaking Benjamin, "Only the strongest will survive" when trying to rip through this song.

9) Welcome to Buckethead Land - Buckethead. Solo requires guitar mastery. Main riff and chorus riff require tremolo picking and constant fret switching. If you can play this to the end applause I will be surprised.

10) In my opinion? 10 can only be one song...10) ...And Justice For All - Metallica. The intro is pretty, and the rest will devour you, almost guarranteed. Words cannot describe the incredible journey through this song, and the skill required to venture it's course. Tread lightly, fellow guitarist, for you aim to play a masterpiece of guitar; one that requires both oneness with your instrument and wholeness of mind, one which will test your human abilities to play a six string. Good luck.

That's my list. Good luck!
psycho by system of a down is one of the easiest solos ever
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
Is it really sensible to rate songs according to their difficulty? I have my doubts. The songs mentioned stand out mostly because the original artists didn't resort to complicated techniques when recording these songs, so beginners can play them and make them sound like the real thing. The list can be made much longer and can include many more styles of music. It's good to have such songs in your repertoire, but it's also good to realize that everything can be played as easy as you want or as difficult as you can master.

Instead of rating songs you'd better rate the playing techniques, put these on a list in order of increasing difficulty and then work yourself down from the top up into more advanced playing. That way you can can play the songs you like best from the artists you admire right from the start. Initially you'll have to drop all complicated fringes and garlets, but that's OK. Complex chords can often be substituted for basic open chords, tricky fingerpicking can be brought back to simple strumming patterns and in between notes, pull offs, hammer on's, bends and mutes can be left out altogether. Gradually introduce these things in your playing as you go along, while all the time staying true to your own taste.

To my experience that works far better than playing other peoples songs or boring etudes. Maybe not for quickly developing skills, but certainly for keeping motivation.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Snap017
1) Exo-Politics - Muse. Incredibly easy right down to the 20-30 second easy solo.

2) Supermassive Black Hole - Muse. A step up from 1, but not much, solo is simple. Main riff involves good neck/ear coordination, and good movement control (ability to move from low end of neck to high end accurately)

3) Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple. Simple opening riff and verse riff, slightly more complex towards solo.

4) Ironman - Black Sabbath. Simple main riff, slightly complex but incredibly fun to play riffs. Solo requires intermediate skill.

5) War Pigs - Black Sabbath. Easy main riff, difficult solos in between. Will test your ability if you have trouble with first 4. Good song for improvisation if you find the b10p9p7 transitions difficult, throw in some Ironman (I suggest the 7-8-9-7-8-9 riff, right before the Ironman solo)

6) Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult. Now we're getting serious! Fun main riff, but hard to keep tempo if playing in full band environment. Requires much practice. Solo requires knowledge of tremolo picking and advanced hammer-on/pull-off abilities.

7) Master of Puppets - Metallica. Fun intro riff, but fun is replaced with challenging after that. Requires overall advanced skill.

8) One - Metallica. Wondering why this is here? Because although the slow part is intermediately skilled, the famed "Darkness" part has been known to eat practicing guitarists ALIVE, digest them, and spit them out as a hunk of meat that used to be an amateur guitarist. To quote Breaking Benjamin, "Only the strongest will survive" when trying to rip through this song.

9) Welcome to Buckethead Land - Buckethead. Solo requires guitar mastery. Main riff and chorus riff require tremolo picking and constant fret switching. If you can play this to the end applause I will be surprised.

10) In my opinion? 10 can only be one song...10) ...And Justice For All - Metallica. The intro is pretty, and the rest will devour you, almost guarranteed. Words cannot describe the incredible journey through this song, and the skill required to venture it's course. Tread lightly, fellow guitarist, for you aim to play a masterpiece of guitar; one that requires both oneness with your instrument and wholeness of mind, one which will test your human abilities to play a six string. Good luck.

That's my list. Good luck!

i was expective steve vai or joe satriana song at the end :P
1 - All The Small Things - blink 182
2 - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
3 - You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
4 - Laid To Rest - Lamb Of God
5 - Everything Went Black - The Black Dahlia Murder
6 - There Is No Business ... - All Shall Perish
7 - Silent Night, Bodom Night - Children Of Bodom
8 - Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - Trivium
9 - Turn Soonest To The Sea - Protest The Hero
10 - Kissing The Shadows - Children of Bodom
R E G G A E
Cheers everyone.

Uvq and Logz I know what you are saying, I was really just looking for peoples own lists, like thier own opinions on it, I know there isn't going to be one definative list that everyone is going to agree on. I get what you mean about different people finding different songs more difficult than other people aswell, I can play songs like SCOM, Whiskey In the Jar, Don't fear the Reaper ect near perfectly but for some reason I just can't play Ironman (except for the main riff) even though everyone says it's easy, anyways thanks for the advice, and for the lists, should come in handy.
ok, im not gonna make a whole list, but i will give my easiest song that someone whos been playing for like, an hour can play

free fallin' - tom petty
Turquoise Team Beasts!
here is my 50 cents:

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid / Iced Earth - I Died For You
2. Sepultura - Orgasmatron / Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
3. Metallica - Enter Sandman
4. Iced Earth - A Question Of Heaven / Death - Zombie Ritual
5. Slayer - Angel Of Death / Pantera - Walk
6. Sepultura - Inner Self / Metallica - Master Of Puppets
7. Metallica - One / Megadeth - Rust In Peace... Polaris
8. Death - The Flesh And The Power It Holds / Cannibal Corpse - Frantic Disembowelment
9. Cacophony - Concerto / Gorguts - Obscura / Necrophagist - Stabwound
10. Anything from Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, John Petrucci, Dream Theater and Symphony X, and alot alot of other bands

it's mostly metal-based, don't want to talk about stuff I don't listen to
Quote by TheDarkestNights
1 - All The Small Things - blink 182
2 - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
3 - You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
4 - Laid To Rest - Lamb Of God
5 - Everything Went Black - The Black Dahlia Murder
6 - There Is No Business ... - All Shall Perish
7 - Silent Night, Bodom Night - Children Of Bodom
8 - Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - Trivium
9 - Turn Soonest To The Sea - Protest The Hero
10 - Kissing The Shadows - Children of Bodom

nice breakdown from ac/dc to lamb of god :P
since it seems this thread is ruled by metalheads im gonna post something different to add some variety

n° - (band - in brackets if they covered it) - song

1. (steppenwolf) - wild thing
2. (the kinks / otherwise motorhead's easier ) - louie louie (solos excluded)
3. 4 non blondes - what's up
4. dandy warhols - bohemian like you
5. the clash - should i stay or should i go
6. *drum roll* nirvana - smells like teen spirit

now something harder lets rock

7. brian adams - heat of the night
8. chuck berry - johnny b goode
9. AC/DC - have a drink on me
10. Stevie Ray Vaughan - scuttle buttin

I mean all of the songs to be well played in EVERY part, and im not saying number 10 is the hardest guitar song of all times. This is just a loose sequence from easy to difficult but itll take years if not lives to get to the end.
smoke on the water,deep purple
smells like teen spirit,nirvana
sunshine of your love,cream
back in black,ac/dc
the trooper,iron maiden
purple haze,Jimi Hendrix
sweet child o' mine,guns n roses
YYZ,Rush
M.I.A,Avenged Sevenfold
cliffs of dover,eric johnson
1. Smoke on the water (somebody who's just touched a guitar actually can play this...)
2. Paranoid (the solo isn't really that easy though. Just most of the song.)
3.5 Stairway to Heaven
3.5 Sweet Child o' Mine
5. Black Dog
6. Fade to Black
7. Tornado of Souls
8. Cliffs of Dover
9. Master of Puppets
10. Winter Madness. (by Wintersun)

I know there's a rather large jump between Master of Puppets and Winter Madness, but I can't think of much in between.

Seriously, check out Winter Madness, besides being a great song, it's like impossible to play.
Quote by gates26
smoke on the water,deep purple
smells like teen spirit,nirvana
sunshine of your love,cream
back in black,ac/dc
the trooper,iron maiden
purple haze,Jimi Hendrix
sweet child o' mine,guns n roses
YYZ,Rush
M.I.A,Avenged Sevenfold
cliffs of dover,eric johnson

Personally I would put purple haze, sweet child then trooper
Quote by rebelmidget
your pubes are like the amazon rainforest and your body is planet earth. trim a little here and there and your life will be more comfortable
but cut down the whole damn forest and mother nature is going to cut you

I can think of some 1's and 2's off the top of my head. A lot of ccr is pretty simple:
-Creedence Clearwater Revival: Fortunate Son(maybe a little harder than 1), Bad Moon Rising, etc.
-Weezer: Say it ain't so(maybe a 1 or 2)
-The Killers: When you were young; along with others(should be rated a 1 or 2)
-Derek(Eric Clapton) and the dominos(duan allman included): layla; (can get pretty difficult, duane is THE BEST slide guitarist, i'd rate it a 3,4, or 5)
I can't give a full list as i'm not good enough to play anything that you'd rate over 6 or 7 (depending on style)

For me (fell free to say I'm wrong because I know I'm not advanced yet and this is only stuff I can play or play atleast nearly everypart of)
Otherside - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Smells Like Teen Spirt - Nirvana
Holiday - Green Day
All Torn Down - Living End
Snow (Hey Oh) - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Master of Puppets - Metallica

That list isn't in full numbers, just increasing difficulty for me. So don't think that Enter Sandman belongs at 6 on a normal list Oh and there's a few gaps between Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman, just can't think of anything atm
Personally, I don't think Smells like a Teen Spirit is that easy that a absolute beginner can play.

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Sunshine of your Love - Cream

Those 2 songs I would say that a beginner could play.

Smoke on the Water, sure the main "riff" is easy, but the lead solo isn't, and in my opinion to claim you "can play" a song means you can do the solo. This is why I still cannot "play" Iron Man or Smoke on the Water for that matter. I haven't got the solos down, and keeping the tempo on them isn't the easiest thing in the world esp. for beginners.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by zaqwsx170
^Why do you have all that gear if you can't even play the IRON MAN solo?

indeed,explain
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700

Everyone finds different things difficult. In addition, what you're asking is outright rediculious because you aren't actually learning techniques, you're just learning to (badly) parrot other musicians in the apparent hopes of a Guitar Hero-esque progression.

This ain't GH and you aren't hitting 5 brightly colored buttons on a fisher price plastic vaguely guitar-shaped controller. If you really want to learn, learn fundamentals and learn songs you enjoy. Don't think that just because you can play a certain song that you've reached a certain "level". Guitar has no levels. It has techniques and ideas that must be applied and understood in order to make it work. Learning a sequence of notes and being able to rattle them off doesn't help you actually play unless you intend to play in your bedroom for your entire guitar-playing life. Strings react greatly differently then buttons, and if you really think that plowing through a list like that will help you improve except in the most base and unimpressive ways, then you're setting yourself up to be dissapointed.

Educate yourself. This isn't the way to learn.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by zaqwsx170
^Why do you have all that gear if you can't even play the IRON MAN solo?

You mean my gear? All I have is a Squier guitar from 6 years ago, a used MIM Strat and a $200 Peavey amp. The other stuff isn't mine (didn't pay for it), it's merely borrowed.

And to clarify as to why I don't have the Iron Man solo down, it's because I haven't felt the need to spend hours on it. I spent roughly 1 hour on it since I've been playing guitar . I spend majority of my time doing training exercises, practicing scale improvisation, open chord switching and chord improvisation and all with metronome. I don't spend much time at all learning songs because I don't feel the want to just "know" some certain song. I want to get all the basics down so that when I try out some song for the fun of it, I understand its notes and the techniques involved to make it sound good. What I eventually wish to achieve is writing some songs of my own that sound "good" in my opinion.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Oct 19, 2008,
Everyone finds different things difficult. In addition, what you're asking is outright rediculious because you aren't actually learning techniques, you're just learning to (badly) parrot other musicians in the apparent hopes of a Guitar Hero-esque progression.

This ain't GH and you aren't hitting 5 brightly colored buttons on a fisher price plastic vaguely guitar-shaped controller. If you really want to learn, learn fundamentals and learn songs you enjoy. Don't think that just because you can play a certain song that you've reached a certain "level". Guitar has no levels. It has techniques and ideas that must be applied and understood in order to make it work. Learning a sequence of notes and being able to rattle them off doesn't help you actually play unless you intend to play in your bedroom for your entire guitar-playing life. Strings react greatly differently then buttons, and if you really think that plowing through a list like that will help you improve except in the most base and unimpressive ways, then you're setting yourself up to be dissapointed.

Educate yourself. This isn't the way to learn.

Seriously, a guitar hero-esque progression does exist, and it can work quite fine. But, just as guitar hero has several songs per level, you need more than 1 song at each level.

and if you really think that plowing through a list like that will help you improve except in the most base and unimpressive ways, then you're setting yourself up to be dissapointed.

Moving up like that will improve technical skill, no way around it. It will not make you more musical, or more rhythmic. But if all you want to do is impress people at parties (nothing wrong with that, seriously. Just about all of us started for that reason.) a "guitar hero progression" like that will work.

But I would create a progression first, rather than creating it as you go along. Also you probably want someone who can already play all of that stuff to make the list, because they know that's easy and hard and what's in between, and you don't.

And don't just call me a moron and say GUITAR HERO AND REAL GUITAR ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IDIOT!!!!!!!1111oneone!!!!

"Powerleveling" works fine. I've only been playing for a year (started September 2007), and just by progressing "guitar-hero style" I can now play the ride the lightning solo, the master of puppets solo, and eruption. And I'm not one of those people that practices for 4 hours a day.
Last edited by zaqwsx170 at Oct 19, 2008,
I've attached a powerleveling guide I threw together in 20 minutes. It should help get people on their way.

USE GUITAR PRO/TUX GUITAR! IT WILL SAVE YOU AGES OF TIME. YOU ARE NOT A WORSE GUITARIST BECAUSE YOU USE GUITAR PRO TO LEARN SONGS!

EDIT: Read the notes at the beginning of the document. They're important.
Attachments:
Guitar powerleveling.zip
Last edited by zaqwsx170 at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by zaqwsx170
I've attached a powerleveling guide I threw together in 20 minutes. It should help get people on their way.

USE GUITAR PRO/TUX GUITAR! IT WILL SAVE YOU AGES OF TIME. YOU ARE NOT A WORSE GUITARIST BECAUSE YOU USE GUITAR PRO TO LEARN SONGS!

EDIT: Read the notes at the beginning of the document. They're important.

That looks pretty interesting, might try it out, thanks.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
1. Heart-Shaped-Box, Nirvana

2. Smoke on the Water, Deep Purple

3. Highway to Hell

4. Killer Queen, Queen

5. Bleed for Me, Zack Wylde

6. Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle, Dethklok

7. Saturation Point, Marty Friedman

8. Go Off!, Cacophony

9. Wheel of Fortune, Tony MacAlpine

10. Mabel's Fatal Fable, Jason Becker

11. Suspension, Fransesco Fareri

I guess it's a pretty fair list.......

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by zaqwsx170
"Powerleveling" works fine. I've only been playing for a year (started September 2007), and just by progressing "guitar-hero style" I can now play the ride the lightning solo, the master of puppets solo, and eruption. And I'm not one of those people that practices for 4 hours a day.

*Shrug* Whever gets you there I suppose. If that's your goal I suppose I can't fault you for it, though you'll find it difficult to jam with other musicians. Great if you only plan to play in the bedroom I guess.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
yeah every guitarist needs to learn scales and they need to know what scales are in what key, then and only then can a good jam be had!
The times they are a changin'.....
Page 1 of 2