both good, i really liked the hey joe one too
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
its quite good! if im allowed to give some advice... try to emphasize some notes more than others
Quote by swinghead
its quite good! if im allowed to give some advice... try to emphasize some notes more than others

some advise is always nice
i will practise doing that. thanks.
keep the advise coming lol
for hey joe, the solo is good, but try putting a little more emotion into it, i would say. i know its hard, but you really have to be able to feel what your playing and just try to put that into your playing.

and i like your guitar too Les Paul's are amazing
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
How do you practice emotion? That isn't exactly easy advice to follow. The problem is not that you are emotionless, but in the fact that it doesn't sound emotional. This is more caused by your playing being slightly "robotic" - like you are separating each note. This is probably because you only learned the song and are a beginner. It'll definitely improve over time (with practice) and your playing will become smoother.

I think I know how you could improve your playing a long way though - check out Justin Sandercoe's Hendrix-style rhythm lessons. These will (in Justin's words) "spice up" your chord work. It may take a while to become smooth (like everything else) but I know I found it very helpful in my playing. It's also useful if you're wanting to play Frusciante stuff, McCready, etc.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=17RQ2mr4770
Quote by Adam_G
How do you practice emotion? That isn't exactly easy advice to follow. The problem is not that you are emotionless, but in the fact that it doesn't sound emotional. This is more caused by your playing being slightly "robotic" - like you are separating each note. This is probably because you only learned the song and are a beginner. It'll definitely improve over time (with practice) and your playing will become smoother.

I think I know how you could improve your playing a long way though - check out Justin Sandercoe's Hendrix-style rhythm lessons. These will (in Justin's words) "spice up" your chord work. It may take a while to become smooth (like everything else) but I know I found it very helpful in my playing. It's also useful if you're wanting to play Frusciante stuff, McCready, etc.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=17RQ2mr4770

its not about how smooth your playing is, its really about emotions! (example: paul gilbert - smoothness=100 feeling=0 ) you can train to it trying to emulate guitarists who give lots of different nuances to notes, like mike bloomfield, dave gilmour, somehow clapton

edit: and hes not robotic at all, even considered hes a beginner, ive seen people playing even more rigidly than that after years of lesson
Last edited by swinghead at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by swinghead
its not about how smooth your playing is, its really about emotions! (example: paul gilbert - smoothness=100 feeling=0 ) you can train to it trying to emulate guitarists who give lots of different nuances to notes, like mike bloomfield, dave gilmour, somehow clapton

edit: and hes not robotic at all, even considered hes a beginner, ive seen people playing even more rigidly than that after years of lesson

+1

although i might add Hendrix to that list of those who play with emotion, i think i the real difference, or at least something that helped me, is learning it enough so that while you're playing, you're not thinking about the notes, but rather thinking about how they sound.

sorry about having no emotion but i was just trying to make sure i played it correctly lol.
i just learned the solo a few days ago so i had to concentrate .

does any1 hav suggestions on other songs to learn
Quote by Xx Andy xX
does any1 hav suggestions on other songs to learn

just to strum something relaxin: sittin on the dock of the bay (otis redding), proud mary (creedence clearwater revival)

something easy but a bit more demanding: summer of 69 (brian adams), rebel rebel (david bowie)

all classics
Sorry, but I have to disagree, emotion is incredibly subjective and singling it out as a means of improvement is far from productive. I mean, "emotion" may come from a well developed sense of rhythm or groove or articulation or whatever but to me it is almost a guitarist myth - something plenty treat as being almost supernatural. I'm not saying he was bad at all, or incredibly robotic - perhaps that was the wrong word. He did a good job, especially as a beginner. However, it could have been smoother and flowed together better - like I said earlier this will improve as he continues practicing (the song itself and in general).
I mean, I never said that smoothness = flawless technique. I think most players that you consider to have "emotion" are ones that have a loose playing style - Hendrix, SRV, Gilmour. They ARE smooth and loose. Does it sound like Hendrix is singling out every note he plays? No, it is smooth and flows together.

EDIT: He only just learned the song! I believe that's what I said earlier? Honestly mate, check out the video lesson I linked you to, it'll take you Hendrix chord based stuff to a different level. Other songs... Wind Cries Mary perhaps?
Last edited by Adam_G at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Adam_G
Sorry, but I have to disagree, emotion is incredibly subjective and singling it out as a means of improvement is far from productive. I mean, "emotion" may come from a well developed sense of rhythm or groove or articulation or whatever but to me it is almost a guitarist myth - something plenty treat as being almost supernatural. I'm not saying he was bad at all, or incredibly robotic - perhaps that was the wrong word. He did a good job, especially as a beginner. However, it could have been smoother and flowed together better - like I said earlier this will improve as he continues practicing (the song itself and in general).
I mean, I never said that smoothness = flawless technique. I think most players that you consider to have "emotion" are ones that have a loose playing style - Hendrix, SRV, Gilmour. They ARE smooth and loose. Does it sound like Hendrix is singling out every note he plays? No, it is smooth and flows together.

1)smoothness comes with practice, this is a matter of fact (if youre not a genius)
2)smoothness is a drop in the ocean of what is needed to be a good guitarist

btw im not criticizing to any deegree the ts
But it is what he needs to improve on! Not some mystical "emotion". That's why I suggested he learn more techniques to back up his playing (through the videos) and also suggested more practice because moving on to another song when the first isn't smooth is not a great idea.
Quote by Adam_G
But it is what he needs to improve on! Not some mystical "emotion". That's why I suggested he learn more techniques to back up his playing (through the videos) and also suggested more practice because moving on to another song when the first isn't smooth is not a great idea.

I completely agree. What i tried to say is one needs to focus on little things to make his playing effective