I have an audition for music college coming up this friday and i'm asked to play two pieces of contrasting music.

I've settled on Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu by Dream Theater for "one" piece, for the other i'd like to play something with a nice soft melody, voiced using the popular "one chord, melody, another chord, melody" kind of approach that is common in Jazz.

Does anyone have any ideas? I need to learn the song quickly as you can imagine, though that won't be a problem, i'm a fast learner.

Oh, also a tab would be handy as it's probably the quickist way i'm going to learn this piece.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
You haven't started learning your pieces up till now? Jeez, it's going to be tough.

Pick and grin has a vid on here with a nice chord progression. Check it out, learn it and add some improvised melody. That might do the trick.
I didn't know i was going to be doing this audition untill very recently =s. Yeah cool i'll check it out, any more ideas are welcome too.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Do you have a link to Picks' video? Can't seem to find it.
--Stephen Roberts
Autumn Leaves

That's the first thing that came to mind because I'm learning it right now.

Edit:^I think confusius may have been talking about this one: http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/steal_this_video_jazz.html
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 24, 2008,
Hahahahahaha it's on friday and you haven't even learned all your stuff.

Freakin' idiot, you're one of the people that makes me ashamed to tell people I'm a guitar major.

And you want to learn it with tab? Even better, just keep reinforcing that "I'm a freakin' tool that doesn't really give a **** about music I just wanna be a rock star" theme right there.

Do all of us serious musicians a favor and don't go to school for music, you're an embarrassment.

Also, the fact that you're playing a Dream Theater song is embarrassing. I hope you've got some sheet music to show them otherwise they'll **** you cause they have no idea if what you're playing is correct or not, and if you hand them a tab they'll just laugh at you.
Quote by Guitar_Theory

Freakin' idiot, you're one of the people that makes me ashamed to tell people I'm a guitar major.

And you want to learn it with tab? Even better, just keep reinforcing that "I'm a freakin' tool that doesn't really give a **** about music I just wanna be a rock star" theme right there.

Do all of us serious musicians a favor and don't go to school for music, you're an embarrassment.

Also, the fact that you're playing a Dream Theater song is embarrassing. I hope you've got some sheet music to show them otherwise they'll **** you cause they have no idea if what you're playing is correct or not, and if you hand them a tab they'll just laugh at you.

Bit OTT, no?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Guitar_Theory

I tend to agree with some of what you said, but you really didn't have to be such a purist prick about it.

That being said, three days to learn a solo jazz piece isn't enough. People look for how much control you have over your instrument in these auditions, and it's going to be really obvious that you threw something together in a few days. And you'd be doing yourself a disservice by trying to learn an audition piece for a music school with tabs.

EDIT: OTT = Over the top.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by Guitar_Theory

your the type of player that gives jazz players a bad name.

i'd really like to hear you play. you seem to be able to talk the talk, but can you back it up? because there are a few people here who talk like they are experts in theory, but can barely play, they sound like they really don't know what they are doing. which is why i take those people's opinions with a grain of salt.

i PM'd you with another forum that you might suit you better, and you will probably like a lot more.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
^I didn't know jazz players had a bad reputation? I respect jazz players more than most others.

Edit: can you send me that link as well? I occasionally look at one other forum (i think Stash posted a link to it a while back and Resi said he used to go there or something. idk, it was a while back.)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 24, 2008,
Moondance?
Take 5?
Misty?
'Round Midnight?
easy there miles davis, dont mind him (guitar theory) everyone......
so sarcastic and demeaning remarks aside, i warn the TS that if you are unfamiliar with jazz and dont know a somewhere to get a book of charts (hint get a real book) then i do not fully endorsee trying to find a tune and mastering it in that short time period. once again for my auditions i did a chord solo to "blue in green" thats a real beautiful and mellow piece, soloing over it is a different story though, anyway good luck
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by Guitar_Theory

Wow, with a name like "guitar theory" you strike fear into my heart with your talk of "real musicians"! Ahh!

Stop being so pretentious you absolute retard. You know NOTHING of the circumstances under which i've been told about this interview and your presumptious behaviour is an embarassment to the human race, nevermind musicians.

Thanks for those who weren't on an arrogance trip, i'll explain further;
i HAVE pieces ready, you think as a guitarist i just don't know how to play any music? I've been struggling to find a piece that felt "right" however, so i decided to go on a quick search to see if there was anything i could use to fill in the gap.

I only very recently found out about this audition and have been busy with other things in my life which have prevented me from being able to concentrate as much as i wish i had.

As for the whole "We hate tab" thing, i can read sheet music, just not fluently and i'd learn something much quicker via tab or ear. There's no point in getting wound up about how I learn. If you wanna show that you're "numbah wan awsum gitarist!!" then you can learn everything by sheet music, sorry i'm not up to YOUR standard.

Well, cheers to those who gave me ideas, i've decided to go with one of my own pieces though, which i'm just tweaking now.

Haha, sorry i'm still laughing at how pathetic that guys comment was.

Cheers.
--Stephen Roberts
It's not a great idea to play your own piece. Straight from a university professor:

In order for me to reject someone, preparation is lacking and attitude is not focused. As well, their desires have little or nothing to do with the style(s) that are going on at the school. One of the things that really kills me is when someone comes in and we say “ok, what are you going to play?” and what I hear is: “Well, there’s this little thing that I just wrote.” That’s not a good signal for me because eleven times out of ten it’s nothing. It’s some progression with a lot of theatrics involved. I try to make the person as comfortable as I can so that they will be able to play as well as possible. This is not an easy situation and it could just very well be the turning point in someone’s life. Acceptance also depends on the general level of all the people auditioning. Strong players might be rejected because of a lack of space.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
The college told me that they would prefer to have something i wrote myself, i wasn't going to but now i am.
--Stephen Roberts
In that case, happy practicing and good luck.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
Thanks very much! =) i'm off to London tomorrow, so i'm just doing some last minute theory revision x_x
--Stephen Roberts