OK, I'm building my first pedal, an equivalent of a fuzz face. The schematic is here. I've never built a pedal, so a couple of questions.
1. I see the 9V battery +, but where is the -?
2. Is Q2 a MOSFET?
3. For the potentiometers, would I have to use linear or audio pots?
4. Should I use electrolytic capacitors, film capacitors, or what?
5. What should I use for Q1 and Q2?
6. Can you ground the wires with ground symbols to anything (like the back of a pot)?
7. Where are the input and output jacks?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Jun 24, 2008,
Come on, someone's gotta know the answer to this?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Quote by kurtlives91
I was going to answer your questions but then saw you bumped after 18 mins....

Wow... are you kidding?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Yeah, dude. you were pretty impatient. It's not like your thread was on the 12th page or something. someone would have seen it.

But, I have an answer, but i am not totally sure about it.
I think it gets grounded. But don't trust just me. My DIY Fuzz Face didn't work.

EDIT: maybe if you're polite and apologize to kurtlives, he'll help.

EDIT: I just realized I only answered your first question.
But i would definitely reccomend that you get a kit for your first build. try generalguitar gadgets.com
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
Last edited by gtrhero93 at Jun 24, 2008,
All right, thanks Gtrhero, and yeah sorry bout that Kurtives...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
1. The - of the battery or DC jack gets grounded. This pedal is negative ground.
2. Appears to be N Channel MOSFET
3. Volume controls are almost always 100K audio pots in effects. Go for audio. Id use linear taper for the fuzz pot.
4. For polarized caps use electrolytic...For the non polarized ones use any caps you want. You can use any combosition.
5. ??? Start with the standard most common types...2N3904..BS170...thats a guess
6. The best ground is the jacks...connect all the grounds back to them.
7. You need to learn a bit more about schematics and how pedal guys make em....All Ill say is the IN and OUT could be jacks. Find out how to wire a 3PDT jack, ill leave that to you.
Quote by kurtlives91
1. The - of the battery or DC jack gets grounded. This pedal is negative ground.
2. Appears to be N Channel MOSFET
3. Volume controls are almost always 100K audio pots in effects. Go for audio. Id use linear taper for the fuzz pot.
4. For polarized caps use electrolytic...For the non polarized ones use any caps you want. You can use any combosition.
5. ??? Start with the standard most common types...2N3904..BS170...thats a guess
6. The best ground is the jacks...connect all the grounds back to them.
7. You need to learn a bit more about schematics and how pedal guys make em....All Ill say is the IN and OUT could be jacks. Find out how to wire a 3PDT jack, ill leave that to you.

Thanks a lot, but for #7: You mean a 3PDT stompswitch, not a 3PDT jack, right?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
O and one more question:
Could I wire a couple (lets say 3) of resistors of, say 1K ohm in series to give me the equivalent of a 3K resistor?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Yep. You can also do resistors in parallel to get lower values, where total resistance = [1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...)]. It's a bit more complicated than adding the values, but it's useful sometimes.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Yep. You can also do resistors in parallel to get lower values, where total resistance = [1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...)]. It's a bit more complicated than adding the values, but it's useful sometimes.

Thanks, I figured out in the meantime, but thanks!

Also: One more thing: Could you use a trimpot of the same value as the potentiometer needed (in general)?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Yes, but you probably wouldn't want to unless you like getting out a screwdriver every time you want to adjust the volume.
Quote by asfastasdark
Thanks, I figured out in the meantime, but thanks!

Also: One more thing: Could you use a trimpot of the same value as the potentiometer needed (in general)?

You're better using a trimpot for that 10k it looks like it has a set and forget sort of purpose (you most likely have to set it at its best sounding position. but I'd recommend you use external pots for the gain and level control. And like kurt said use common types for the transistors, you can go wrong really just be careful to look at the pins function. CBE might be the same on one transistor but on another the arrangement could be CEB and etc.!
Last edited by Entrant_21 at Jun 25, 2008,