I was just wondering what makes the standard cost about twice the price than a studio, when the studio looks better and sound just like the standard. Why such a huge difference in price?
no versus thread.
search function VS new thread
search function = win.

seriously, the standard is made with better quality wood, harware, electronics and other stuff. it's the quality that you're paying for.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
There are very good Studios but also very bad ones. I wouldn't risk it, the quality with them is just too inconsistent.
Quote by Paul Carbonella
There are very good Studios but also very bad ones. I wouldn't risk it, the quality with them is just too inconsistent.

+1. it's kind of a hit and miss guitar. basically, the studios are lower end standards, imo.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
That's probably if you take a risk at buying em online. For such a expensive guitar you probably would want to try it out and buying it at a local store
Dude if you honestly think a studio is better than a standard you need to get your brain checked. It's made with better wood, better finish, just better everything.
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by Andy_A
That's probably if you take a risk at buying em online. For such a expensive guitar you probably would want to try it out and buying it at a local store

I did play it in the store. I played one that kicked as, but grabbed a different one and it was like a hundred-dollar Epiphone.
i played this alpine white studio. DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. the neck was horribly thick for my taste and the pickups were extremely muddy. and i try to justify that by rolling down the volume and tone knobs.

p.s i was testing it out on a vox ac30 with celstion.
Basically Gibson goes through its stock of wood and takes the pieces with the most attractive wood grains and turns them into Standards. Everything else becomes a Studio or a Faded. As far as I know, all three use the same pickups, electronics and hardware.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
Basically Gibson goes through its stock of wood and takes the pieces with the most attractive wood grains and turns them into Standards. Everything else becomes a Studio or a Faded. As far as I know, all three use the same pickups, electronics and hardware.

noooooo lol. the studio uses the same pups as my gibby sg standard. 490 and 498. i think the faded on the other hand uses burstbucker like the standard.
1) Pick-Ups: The Studio uses different pick-ups: 490R and 498T alnico magnet humbucker pickups (the same as used on the LP Supreme). The Standard uses burstbucker pick-ups. They're both good pick-ups.

2) Neck: The Studio has a 50's neck which is a little thicker than the 60's neck. The Standard is available in both 50's neck and the slimmer 60's neck. There's not much difference.

3) Cosmetic Differences:
The Studio does not have binding
The Studio has a decal instead of pearl logo on headstock
The Standard is topped with AA Maple. The Studio is topped with Single A Maple wood.

Both guitars are excellent. Both are made with Honduran Mahogany wood. Both are guaranteed by Gibson. I've never met anyone who had either of these who wasn't completely satisfied.

If you like the Studio, then get the Studio. If for some reason you want to pay the extre $1,000 for the Standard, then get the Standard.
Quote by GraceKim
12) Neck: The Studio has a 50's neck which is a little thicker than the 60's neck. The Standard is available in both 50's neck and the slimmer 60's neck. There's not much difference.

On the contrary, I find the difference to be significant between the 50s neck and the 60s slim taper.

Quote by GraceKim
I've never met anyone who had either of these who wasn't completely satisfied.

I wasn't completely satisfied with my £1,850 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition (as you can read in my review, if you like), which is a cut above even the lowest Customs, let alone Standards and Studios. I know a few Gibson players, and most of them are unimpressed with Gibson's quality. If you don't know any Gibson players who aren't completely satisfied with their Gibsons- you don't know many Gibson players. I don't mean to be a uppity wank stain, I'm just saying

Quote by GraceKim
If you like the Studio, then get the Studio. If for some reason you want to pay the extre $1,000 for the Standard, then get the Standard.

Yeah, why is the Standard twice the price? I don't doubt the differences you list, but they don't = a guitar which is twice as good. I've heard that the current Studios have inferior woods to the Standards. With that in mind, perhaps an older Studio would be better?
Quote by kckyle
...i think the faded on the other hand uses burstbucker like the standard.

Well, I guess I don't know as far.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by aaron00lee
Dude if you honestly think a studio is better than a standard you need to get your brain checked. It's made with better wood, better finish, just better everything.

I did not say studio was better, i said it looked better ^^ at least that's what i think
Quote by Andy_A
I did not say studio was better, i said it looked better ^^ at least that's what i think

lol how in the hell would a studio look better. if anything the standard has neck and body binding and AA flametop options
Quote by kckyle
lol how in the hell would a studio look better. if anything the standard has neck and body binding and AA flametop options

Because not everyone would enjoy the look of a body and neck binding along with a AA Flamed Maple top.

Just as I don't enjoy decals on the side of my car or giant "Fear This!" stickers, while others do.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
Because not everyone would enjoy the look of a body and neck binding along with a AA Flamed Maple top.

Just as I don't enjoy decals on the side of my car or giant "Fear This!" stickers, while others do.

you can't really compare binding to decals. more like spoiler and angel doors
Because people are willing to pay twice as much for standard... Duh...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by kckyle

Its a matter of taste. I do like the heritage cherry standard, but thats it. The binding makes the ebony look like **** and the white pickguard makes it even grosser ^^ The Studio with shining ebony color and golden hardware is the most beautiful guitar i have ever laid my eyes on (and the pickguard is black!!!^^) But everyone has a different taste when it comes to guitars (some actually like a telecaster with yellow color *puke*)
Quote by kckyle
you can't really compare binding to decals. more like spoiler and angel doors

So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
just get an Epi Elitist ($1150).. bout the only thing that tops those are the Supremes and Custom Shop Gibsons
Studios are very hit and miss. Some can be as good or almost as good and worth the money, some are just crap. You need to try before you buy.
Quote by Andy_A
Its a matter of taste. I do like the heritage cherry standard, but thats it. The binding makes the ebony look like **** and the white pickguard makes it even grosser ^^ The Studio with shining ebony color and golden hardware is the most beautiful guitar i have ever laid my eyes on (and the pickguard is black!!!^^) But everyone has a different taste when it comes to guitars (some actually like a telecaster with yellow color *puke*)

Hey Hey Now.. I own a Yellow Tele.. in my opinion Best color of em.. guy who sold it told me its "Butterscotch Blonde" it made me all floaty inside when he said that color title..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by GraceKim
1) Pick-Ups: The Studio uses different pick-ups: 490R and 498T alnico magnet humbucker pickups (the same as used on the LP Supreme). The Standard uses burstbucker pick-ups. They're both good pick-ups.

2) Neck: The Studio has a 50's neck which is a little thicker than the 60's neck. The Standard is available in both 50's neck and the slimmer 60's neck. There's not much difference.

3) Cosmetic Differences:
The Studio does not have binding
The Studio has a decal instead of pearl logo on headstock
The Standard is topped with AA Maple. The Studio is topped with Single A Maple wood.

Both guitars are excellent. Both are made with Honduran Mahogany wood. Both are guaranteed by Gibson. I've never met anyone who had either of these who wasn't completely satisfied.

completely agreed, both aqre great guitars, some players swear by studios, others swear by there standards, also some prefer the missing binding on the studio, and the pickups, but then most top guitarists will consider changing the pickups on any guitar they own anyway
Quote by Bazilisck311
So if I buy a Les Paul standard and throw it 200 mph, its binding will generate downforce?

Quote of the day!!!
Quote by nauc
just get an Epi Elitist ($1150).. bout the only thing that tops those are the Supremes and Custom Shop Gibsons

Seen 2 Supremes in my life. Both felt like a chunk of crap, seemed to weigh less than my Strat, and had several flaws in the cosmetics of the guitar. Worst LP's in stock and they had probably 20. They were about as good as the Classics, only the classics pups pushed it ahead. Were barely comparable to the Standards, and couldn't dream of touching any Custom Shop jobs.

I am the proud owner of a LP Std and custom shop Silverburst. They are both 10x better than any Studio I've ever played, but honestly I quit even pickin Studios up, b/c I realized they just weren't as nice. I realize people have different taste, but 9/10, a Std is gonna be the the better guitar.

The Silverburst has the same pups as the Studio, and they will f'in scream.
Find a used 90's Studios, probably the best Studios ever made.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
TBH, I hate binding on a guitar. And, I hate sunburst. I loved my studio, and I preferred it to a friends standard. Does it make it a better guitar? No. It just means I like it more. Different people like different things...

and TS: vs. are not allowed
Quote by supergerbil
TBH, I hate binding on a guitar. And, I hate sunburst. I loved my studio, and I preferred it to a friends standard. Does it make it a better guitar? No. It just means I like it more. Different people like different things...

and TS: vs. are not allowed

Thats what its all about, personal preference

Standards are meant to have better quality assurance as i havent but some ppl have tried poor studios, but there will be good ones as well then ofc
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
This isn't really following the current line of discussion but...

Is the general opinion of the Les Paul Studio really that bad?

I ask because I am upgrading my Epiphone Les Paul 100 (Which I am not a proud owner of :P) for a better guitar and was thinking of a Les Paul Studio (fireburst).. should I get it? As I seem to be reading a lot of harsh comment about it! :P

thanks!

(Oh yeah btw when ppl say they are hit and miss what do they mean? are they all manufactured differently :S)?
Quote by Hebbamundo
This isn't really following the current line of discussion but...

Is the general opinion of the Les Paul Studio really that bad?

I ask because I am upgrading my Epiphone Les Paul 100 (Which I am not a proud owner of :P) for a better guitar and was thinking of a Les Paul Studio (fireburst).. should I get it? As I seem to be reading a lot of harsh comment about it! :P

thanks!

(Oh yeah btw when ppl say they are hit and miss what do they mean? are they all manufactured differently :S)?

by hit and miss they mean the quality control isn't that good so some will be really good and some will feel like shit so you have to try out a bunch to find a good one.
Quote by GraceKim

I want to make a point on this second comment. I don't think it's so much that there isn't much difference between the two, the necks on Gibsons aren't really consistent at all. Even though the studios are advertised to have 50s necks, they're still fairly thin, even compared to a lot of the "slim tapered" necks that I've played while others can be baseball bats. But on average, even compared to something like an R0 with it's "slim tapered neck," the '50s neck is still a toothpick.

Most standards I've played with the '60s neck have been fairly thick, but some have been fairly thin.
Quote by supergerbil

QFT.

also gibsons are so varied that you're gonna find very few of each model that you'll actually like enough to think the price is right. imo it's not that they are "hit and miss" because from what i've seen the guitars are consistently very well built and excellent quality. it's just that they are all so different that the majority of them aren't gonna feel right to you personally, but that doesn't mean they are "lemons".
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp