I've been playing for a couple of months and when i started guitar i only used downpicking, now almost all songs i learn i use downpicking, like i can play unholy confessions by avenged sevenfold with only downpicking and pretty much of master of puppets
So, is it really important to learn alternative picking? like will i have very hard to learn songs etc?
I think you'd find playing those songs much easier with alternate picking. I mean, whatever works for you is fine, but I think you'd find a lot of songs much less challenging if you learned it.
it would help alot. its also not a very hard skill to learn, so i'd say go ahead and learn it.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
If you plan on learning some solos, it wil make them many times easier and more comfortable to play. I would say yes you have too but thats me
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I can't imagine it will be easy or even possible to play faster riffs using nothing but down picking but if you can pull it off, then go for it. At least you're testing the limits of your ability.

Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by ryphe
I've been playing for a couple of months and when i started guitar i only used downpicking, now almost all songs i learn i use downpicking, like i can play unholy confessions by avenged sevenfold with only downpicking and pretty much of master of puppets
So, is it really important to learn alternative picking? like will i have very hard to learn songs etc?

Go learn Damage Inc. with down picking if it's so great

Seriously though, down picking can only go so far, even with riffs; every great guitar player alternate picks at some point so it is quite crucial to learn.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try playing Raining Blood by Slayer with only downstrokes.

Yeah, you've got to learn alternate picking.
I'm a newbie player but I've been using alternate picking from the start just because it's logical to do so. Not only is it faster and more efficient, but it helps me "keep my place" on the strings.

I think you want to start training yourself to do this. It's A Good Thing.
yeah
its the only way to play faster
and although some people arent into like shredding,
you still need it for quick phrases/licks/riffs etc.
i had to relearn my picking
it helps soo much as far as speed i would recommend learning it
every style of music uses alternate picking so it would be a good skill to have
Quote by I Be Andyy
That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
Gibson voodoo sg
Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
Fender american strat
Martin 000-28
Peavey bandit 112
Mesa mark 5
Mesa stiletto 4x12
Its something that important to learn after you've been playing for a while. Thankfully, i never had a problem learning it....
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Yeah, you definitely need to learn it. It also helps play chords and things like on acoustic guitar, if you hav 1, it makes everything a lot easier.

Plus if u ever wanted to learn a new style but didn't know how to alternate pick...well...that would suck. Depending what the style is of couse.
i personally found that alternate picking came naturally, after a certain amount of time in which i couldn't do it when starting guitar, i just started one day and havent looked back
Alternate Picking is very important. Practice it hard it enough and you should get it pretty fast. I thought I would never be able to alternate pick when I started out. I spent a few hours a day for a week and a half trying, and ended up getting used to it and its like automatic now.
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
Play with what you prefer but bear in mind that at some point in time when you'll be into fast-playing,you're gonna need alternate picking.
play some songs you know really slowly alternatively picking, speeding up when you get comfortable.
it seriously only took me about a day to learn alternative picking.
Hetfeild and Hammet play MOP all downstrokes...
Alternate picking is important for fast solos and for some riffs. You can do slow solos and riffs even with only downstrokes, but I recomment learn alternate picking too. You can't become pro without it.
james hetfield mainly uses downpicking. if it works for u then go for it. but think about what else u want to play. alternate picking makes playing so much easier and relaxes your picking hand. u'll look pretty goofy playing a fast song and trying to keep up while ur just pounding ur hand down those strings. go learn to alternate pick.
Well, i realized i need to learn it know
Anyone know any good exercises or songs , so i can start to practice alternative picking?
Quote by ryphe
Well, i realized i need to learn it know
Anyone know any good exercises or songs , so i can start to practice alternative picking?

The spider riff from Master of Puppets; The one near the beginning after the chromatic intro riff. I know they play it with down strokes but because of the way the strokes fall it makes a good alternate picking exercise. Beyond that just about anything makes a decent alternate picking exercise really.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Even though MOP is played with down-strokes, alternate picking is a foundation technique in guitar. It is something you should work at IMHO. It doesn't take long to start to feel comfortable with it ... go for it!