Now that I have found an instructor who is more than willing to take on the challenge of dealing with me...

I have a couple questions that I didn't want to throw at him right away.
While taking lessons as a pure beginner, which is the better way to go...

1. Stick strictly to the lesson you are given to work on between classes.

2. Work the lesson for a little each day, yet try out new things.

3. Wait until you have a few lessons under your belt before straying off to try new things.

Any input is greatly appreciated.. Thanks. Please keep in mind, this is my first time ever attempting to learn music.
Dude, don't be afraid to try new things outside of the lesson. That's part of how you learn, trying new stuff, and learning from your mistakes you're bound to make as a beginner. If you have trouble with something ask your teacher, 9 out of 10 they'll know how to play it and tell you how to do it right.
This is just what I do but it may not be the correct/right thing to do. I usually practice things from my lessons for around an hour or so first and then I work on whatever I want to for as long as I want. If I only have limited playing time (less then an hour or so) I just focus on what you need to do for you lesson.

Just remember that if you want to take your guitar playing seriously it is better to learn from multiple sources (like books, the internet and your teacher) compared to just one source

Also dont be afraid to ask your teacher to help you with stuff that you are working on by yourself.

Good Luck
Quote by Flow of soul
This is just what I do but it may not be the correct/right thing to do. I usually practice things from my lessons for around an hour or so first and then I work on whatever I want to for as long as I want. If I only have limited playing time (less then an hour or so) I just focus on what you need to do for you lesson.

Just remember that if you want to take your guitar playing seriously it is better to learn from multiple sources (like books, the internet and your teacher) compared to just one source

Also dont be afraid to ask your teacher to help you with stuff that you are working on by yourself.

Good Luck

+1 I couldn't say it better if I tried
always try new things but practice what he tells you to practice...he'll know best whats good for you when starting...
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
2 :d
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar