Ok. so im just getting into do my first solo which happens to be the Enter Sandman solo. Im just curious on how everyone else takes to solos. Do you guys do it in parts, or just keep going over and over until you get it right? Or do you have a different approach. Im just wondering, because Im beginning to become more and and more involved with guitar, and just want to see how everyones approach is to a solo.
Quote by Underjoggle
My guitar is made from the wood of Christ's cross. With strings made of his beard hair.
Break the solo down into smaller individual parts.

Practice each small part until you can play it at full speed. This can be done by playing each phrase slowly and perfectly, and slowly building up the speed until it is at full speed.

Then finally, join all the parts together!
I learn it measure by measure, taking breaks in between
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
I use Guitar-Pro tabs and just go over it in bits until i can play the whole thing.
The good thing with guitar pro is you can slow it down should you need to and repeat parts you may need practice on.
i highly recomend it.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
i play it all the way through first to get a feel, and then i learn it lick by lick.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I think the above method works best
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I attempt the whole thing slowly, if I make a mistake, I go back to the start and play through again
Quote by Schmoove
Ok. so im just getting into do my first solo which happens to be the Enter Sandman solo. Im just curious on how everyone else takes to solos. Do you guys do it in parts, or just keep going over and over until you get it right? Or do you have a different approach. Im just wondering, because Im beginning to become more and and more involved with guitar, and just want to see how everyones approach is to a solo.

I'd pick something easier and more straightforward for a first solo...Highway to Hell by AC/DC is a good one. It's hard to pick out what's going on at time in Enter Sandman due to all the wahnking going on, and there's some fiddly passages.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you're familiar with the underlying rhythm and also know how to play it, the second thing is simply listen to the solo until you've memorised it - if you haven't committed the sound you're trying to make to memory you'll never reproduce it on a guitar.

Once that's out of the way just approach it logically, most solos separate out into manageable chunks that you can link together. Play it very slowly first, making sure you're hitting all the notes accurately and in time, then gradually build up the speed...a metronome will help immensely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah, playing measure by measure seems to help, as well, if you have it on guitar pro there is the speed trainer - a very handy tool. learn bits of it at a slower speed then practice playing along at higher speeds.
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.