E|---------------12--12--12----12---12---12---12-- 12---12-----
B|9-10-11-12---12---12--11----11---11---10---10---10---10-9
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you know the key?
You don't. There is no harmonic context, and the lick is chromatic.

Read the sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i'm going to have to disagree and say its E. probably E major
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
Quote by tiagomanuelluz
E|---------------12--12--12----12---12---12---12-- 12---12-----
B|9-10-11-12---12---12--11----11---11---10---10---10---10-9
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you know the key?
E major. This is a standard lick and can be used in several contexts, including blues and country. It is, in fact, most often used to establish the key of a song during the intro. I first encountered it in Cream's I'm So Glad about 40 years ago, but it certainly was around long before that.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
It's true there is no harmonic context. But the constant E note on the 1st string gives it a little bit of context. I think most ears would therefore hear (or "imply") the chromaticism as 5 #4 4 3 (and therefore key of E major) because that is such a standard blues-based lick like above poster says.

Take away that E note lurking in the background and its a different story, would be impossible to guess a key.
it has 5 notes in common with tons of scales...
everything from:

-A Hirajoshi

-C Maj/A min (same notes)

-B Min 11th Arpeggio

It is just:

-3 ascending chromatic tones (G#-A-F#)

-B Maj = R-M4th (B-E)

-Bb Dim.5th/aug 4th/b5 or tritone (Bb-E)
(haha, there's a lot of names for this one, I personally like "el diablo in musica"- Latin)

-A Maj 5 (A-E)

-then 2 chromatic descending tones (A-G#/Ab)

Its just a noodled(my spell check recognizes that?) lick in my opinion

Crawl through knives.
^you could overanalyze the crap out of this lick, but play it in context, and it sounds like a typical blues turnaround in E major.

you can tell because it uses the top E (12th fret E string) as a drone, and the descending line on the B string (12-11-10-9) moves from chromatically from B to G# (the 5th and 3rd of E maj)
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Old enough thread? But really, the lick has no key, although it can fit in E major pretty well.
well its kinda chromatic but i suppose there could be a key. dont ask me what though
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by les_paul_01
^you could overanalyze the crap out of this lick, but play it in context, and it sounds like a typical blues turnaround in E major.

you can tell because it uses the top E (12th fret E string) as a drone, and the descending line on the B string (12-11-10-9) moves from chromatically from B to G# (the 5th and 3rd of E maj)

+1
Quote by les_paul_01

+1

context is important.
shred is gaudy music