I'm getting a Seymour Duncan Space Invader to put in the bridge, but I want to put two single coils in the neck and middle to keep that tone. What kind should I get? I was looking at Lace Sensors, but those seem like they would just sound like humbuckers and would defeat the purpose of me wanting the single coil sound. So what does everyone think?

Oh I just thought. What about 1 fender single coil, a lace sensor pickup, then the space invader? Thoughts please
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
I did the same thing on my squier and used hum cancelling Dimarzio Pro Tracks. They had enough power so the invader didn't sound like a total monster next to them.
I put a Fast Track II on mine and the stock pick ups aren't bad against it. They were measuring in at just over 7kohm DC which isn't bad as single coils go. There's a difinite difference between output levels but not so much that it sounds weird.
Of course shielding it properly really helped as I now get the full sound of the single coils minus most of the hum.
i just picked up the pickguard and the body is shaped to only fit 3 single coils. can i just cut around where the bridge pickup should be to make it bigger and fit a humbucker? or will that mess up the all around sound?
buy a new pickguard and make sure the routing of your body can fit a humbucker.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
buy a new pickguard and make sure the routing of your body can fit a humbucker.

the routing on the guitar doesnt fit it. sorry i didn't make that very clear
well, then just put a high output humcanceling single coil like a JB Jr.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's your amp? What music do you play?

BTW, "space invader"?

okay i got it wrong im aware. i have a kustom 36 coupe and i play a wide variety of music. right now my friend and i are planning on starting a punk band
Cool, nice little tube amp.

Sounds good.

Alright, you're saying that the bridge position's wood is NOT routed for a full-sized humbucker, right?
That's unfortunate. More choices, if it were the case. BTW, the Invader is pretty awful. Just so you know.

I would stick a Little '59 in the bridge position, not a JB Jr. The JB Jr. Would probably be pretty bright.
Do you want to change the neck and middle single coils to better ones?
ya i definitely want to change the other pickups too. my original intention was to put a set of lace sensors in but i heard some good things about the Invader with punk music. but im looking back to the lace sensors again now i think
You would be in for a lot less hassle by installing a single-sized bucker in there, I just put a Duncan Hot Rails in my 05 std. with a couple wiring mods ( spin-a-split, and master tone ) and it's quite nice, no extra switches and I didn't lose a control
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
Quote by mygibsonrocks
but i heard some good things about the Invader with punk music.

Forget about them. It's really muddy, poor note definition and clarity. I'd avoid it like genital herpes.

TBH, people oftentimes liken certain pickups to certain genres erroneously. Many pickups which people associate with certain genres or tones can do more than just that.
One example being the Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 - it's a "vintage" output pickup with a PAF voicing, so many people assume it's only good for blues or classic rock; But Lamb of God's guitarists use it with great success with their brand of modern American metal. Just sayin'.

The Little '59 will fatten up your bridge position, and be very suitable for punk. People often forget that there weren't always after market pickups, and a lot of punk guitarists don't even bother changing pickups from their stock ones. A lot of famous punk guitarists or even hardcore guitarists use PAF or other vintage pickups or something.

For the neck and middle, it depends, what do you want from them? I like using my Strat's neck pickup for clean tones. I like them fat and warm, so I have Alnico 2 up in there.
What about you? What do you need?
actually i was looking around last night on the computer and i checked out a bunch of pickups and stuff and i dont have a lot of money to do all this. i thought about it and i wasnt sure if its really worth doing anything to the squier since its the affinity series thing. what i found was the $100 epiphone les paul jr. and i thought i could get that and then a p90-2 to put in. Mike Ness uses P90-2s and that is one of the main influences for my bandmates and I. so what do you think of doing something like that?
ya but the other too pickups on the strat sound like crap. and im kinda tired of the strat anyways. what other thing could i do because i really want the P90-2 pickups? Any ideas?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Those 100 dollar LP Juniors are crap. Don't keep tune, bad intonation, made of plywood.
If you can think of doing all that, you can certainly afford to just upgrade ONE pickup in your Strat.

Actually, they're not.

They're made of phillipine "mohagany", more broadly listed as "tonewood" in the descriptions, I know from modders who've sanded off the finish or routed for another pickup they're sometimes mohagany, basswood, and occasionally agathis. 2-3 piece bodies, Mohagany necks, rosewood fretboards. The Bad intonation CAN come from the wraparound compesated bridge, but it's actually just fine if you're using 10s(the G is slightly off on 9s, and you're S.O.L. for 11's or larger).

The LP junior is a fun little guitar. It's not quite the same level of a steal as the squier bullet(solid 2-3 piece basswood body, tremolo system is fine as soon as you get new springs, the stock ones are junk.) Electronics are downright awful on both of them, scratchy or unresponsive pots, shrill or muddy pickups with suck tone, input jacks are bad, bad switches. Tuners are hit and miss on both, but mostly miss.

But you can get a GFS mean 90, gibson pots, and new locking tuners, and you've got a VERY nice simplistic blues and blues rock guitar. Do the same thing but with a rockfield fat ass and push/pull tone pot, you've got a great Hard rock and some metal guitar. Do it with a SD(or GFS, depending on taste and budget) '59, and push/pull pots, instant classic rock guitar. Do it with an EMG 81, all new wiring, and the 18V mod, you have a metal guitar that can also clean up pretty well.
Not one of these mod combos puts the guitar at over 300 bucks. Every one of them makes the guitar sound like it's worth much more than that.

If you have time and can solder, an epi LP junior is nowhere near a bad guitar.

As for the squire bullet, you can just buy new springs, locking tuners, a new input jack and a prewired pickguard, make 2 solders, and you have a really great guitar, if you got the right one for your style.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by mygibsonrocks
ya but the other too pickups on the strat sound like crap. and im kinda tired of the strat anyways. what other thing could i do because i really want the P90-2 pickups? Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean by P90-2.
There's P100s, which are a hum canceling stacked pickup supposed to sound like a P-90(which fails pretty hard at doing it).
Or you might just be mistaking the humbucker in epi LP juniors for something special.

If you liek the P-90 sound, get a GFS mean 90 pickup from guitarfetish, it fits into a humbucker routing and sounds like the real thing.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Actually, they're not.

They're made of phillipine "mohagany", more broadly listed as "tonewood" in the descriptions, I know from modders who've sanded off the finish or routed for another pickup they're sometimes mohagany, basswood, and occasionally agathis. 2-3 piece bodies, Mohagany necks, rosewood fretboards. The Bad intonation CAN come from the wraparound compesated bridge, but it's actually just fine if you're using 10s(the G is slightly off on 9s, and you're S.O.L. for 11's or larger).

The LP junior is a fun little guitar. It's not quite the same level of a steal as the squier bullet(solid 2-3 piece basswood body, tremolo system is fine as soon as you get new springs, the stock ones are junk.) Electronics are downright awful on both of them, scratchy or unresponsive pots, shrill or muddy pickups with suck tone, input jacks are bad, bad switches. Tuners are hit and miss on both, but mostly miss.

But you can get a GFS mean 90, gibson pots, and new locking tuners, and you've got a VERY nice simplistic blues and blues rock guitar. Do the same thing but with a rockfield fat ass and push/pull tone pot, you've got a great Hard rock and some metal guitar. Do it with a SD(or GFS, depending on taste and budget) '59, and push/pull pots, instant classic rock guitar. Do it with an EMG 81, all new wiring, and the 18V mod, you have a metal guitar that can also clean up pretty well.
Not one of these mod combos puts the guitar at over 300 bucks. Every one of them makes the guitar sound like it's worth much more than that.

If you have time and can solder, an epi LP junior is nowhere near a bad guitar.

As for the squire bullet, you can just buy new springs, locking tuners, a new input jack and a prewired pickguard, make 2 solders, and you have a really great guitar, if you got the right one for your style.

I'm talking about the one piece wraparound tailpiece, one humbucker, 100 dollar Epi LP Juniors. Those ARE made of plywood. I am POSITIVE. I know from modders who have refinished it or looked at pickup/neck cavities.
They're pretty awful guitars, and it's not just because of the electronics...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm talking about the one piece wraparound tailpiece, one hum bucker, 100 dollar Epi LP Juniors. Those ARE made of plywood. I am POSITIVE. I know from modders who have refinished it or looked at pickup/neck cavities.
this is true. i own one, in addition to a couple of gibsons from the mid sixties. i can tell you from first hand experience, the outer layer of plywood is quite good, the inner layers are something vaguely wood-like.

Quote by forsaknazrael
They're pretty awful guitars, and it's not just because of the electronics...
mine is pretty awesome. when i bought it, the neck was straighter than the other 7 LPjrs i looked at. but the action was extremely high. the nut is garbage soft plastic. fretboard, fair. a little leveling/polishing did wonders. bridge is excellent. HB is not the best, but decent. tuners are not bad.

it's a good guitar for $100 if you can stomach that ugly epi headstock and are willing to replace the nut.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Epi LP juniors, are not meant to be played stock IMHO.
They're also NOT plywood, by my definition.
5+ piece bodies are plywood. The epi LP junior is not, by my standards, in the ones I've experienced (the Pre-1999 P100 models and the EE plant 2007+, avoided epis when they commissioned work to the samick company.).
As I said before, stick a mean 90 in the bridge, new pots, new jack, forgot to mention a new nut, but that's because I put a graphite nut on every guitar I buy that doesn't have a bone one to begin with.
They're not even close to a terrible guitar, at 50 dollars more, they'd still be worth it.
This is an epiphone, dedicated factory, american inspection and set up, guitar.
It is an axe, with which, after a few upgrades, you can easily create a specific tone and sound using.
I've seen EMG 81, GFS Mean 90s, SD phat cat, P-94s GFS vintage '59, SD '59, a rockfield fat ass, rockfield vintage custom wound, and even gibson '57 classic and 490T pickups preform in this guitar, after the proper electronics upgrades. Each and every one of them defined and different from one another, very responsive to tweaking, and capable of a range of tones.
If you can't get an epi LP junior with all upgraded electronics to work for your (humbucker-based) sound, you need to look at your amplifier.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's other cheap guitars you can get that DON'T need modification. Not worth it.

What guitars below 150 dollars come stock with a sound on par with 500 dollar models?

Quote by cobain_is_king
I'd say the Squier '51's were pretty nice. They used to go for 80 bucks, I think, at GC, during sales? And if you're going to modding the guitar, that brings the price up. You can get a Epiphone G-400 for 300 bucks - way better than the Epi LP Junior. You can get a '57 Epiphone LP Junior - one with a real P-90, for around 250 bucks on eBay. That's just off the top of my head.

And I would not say an upgraded Epi LP Junior is on par with a 500 dollar guitar. Not even close.
Quote by Iansmitchell
5+ piece bodies are plywood. The epi LP junior is not, by my standards, in the ones I've experienced (the Pre-1999 P100 models and the EE plant 2007+, avoided epis when they commissioned work to the samick company.).
As I said before, stick a mean 90 in the bridge, new pots, new jack, forgot to mention a new nut, but that's because I put a graphite nut on every guitar I buy that doesn't have a bone one to begin with.
They're not even close to a terrible guitar, at 50 dollars more, they'd still be worth it.
This is an epiphone, dedicated factory, american inspection and set up, guitar.
It is an axe, with which, after a few upgrades, you can easily create a specific tone and sound using.
I've seen EMG 81, GFS Mean 90s, SD phat cat, P-94s GFS vintage '59, SD '59, a rockfield fat ass, rockfield vintage custom wound, and even gibson '57 classic and 490T pickups preform in this guitar, after the proper electronics upgrades. Each and every one of them defined and different from one another, very responsive to tweaking, and capable of a range of tones.
If you can't get an epi LP junior with all upgraded electronics to work for your (humbucker-based) sound, you need to look at your amplifier.

Plywood they are i tell you. Sure of this i am.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd say the Squier '51's were pretty nice. They used to go for 80 bucks, I think, at GC, during sales? And if you're going to modding the guitar, that brings the price up. You can get a Epiphone G-400 for 300 bucks - way better than the Epi LP Junior. You can get a '57 Epiphone LP Junior - one with a real P-90, for around 250 bucks on eBay. That's just off the top of my head.

And I would not say an upgraded Epi LP Junior is on par with a 500 dollar guitar. Not even close.

The squier '51s and '57 juniors were really amazing guitars for the price, there was no reason for fender and gibson to discontinue them what so ever.

The G-400's stock pups are better, but still, without mods, the G-400 is more of a looker than a player with the stock switch, pots, jack, and pickups.

And new pots, pickup, and input jack for a junior, TOTALS(with cost of guitar according musiciansfriend, 120 dollars), 180 with the GFS vintage '59(gibson 500K pots), 225 with an EMG 81(which comes with all the necessary electronics, but I'd suggest an 18V mod, heard that costs about 30 bucks), 210 with SD blackout.

Find a 250 dollar guitar with a P-90, or active pickups.
There really aren't any.
The wood doesn't have as immense effect on tone as you seem to think, because I've heard and tried these combos, and they are NICE.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
5+ piece bodies are plywood.

Your opinion is not correct then - plywood is lots of thin strips of wood glued together - it has nothing what so ever to do with the number of pieces that make up a body.

As for Epi LP Juniors not being meant to be played stock??? They are built to a price point - they are designed to be played stock by those that want to pay that price for an epiphone.
Quote by Iansmitchell
The squier '51s and '57 juniors were really amazing guitars for the price, there was no reason for fender and gibson to discontinue them what so ever.

The G-400's stock pups are better, but still, without mods, the G-400 is more of a looker than a player with the stock switch, pots, jack, and pickups.

And new pots, pickup, and input jack for a junior, TOTALS(with cost of guitar according musiciansfriend, 120 dollars), 180 with the GFS vintage '59(gibson 500K pots), 225 with an EMG 81(which comes with all the necessary electronics, but I'd suggest an 18V mod, heard that costs about 30 bucks), 210 with SD blackout.

Find a 250 dollar guitar with a P-90, or active pickups.
There really aren't any.
The wood doesn't have as immense effect on tone as you seem to think, because I've heard and tried these combos, and they are NICE.

The G-400 is actually quite playable. It's my number 1.
The pots were actually decent. The switch, thought not the best, is overplayed by people as a problem. Without mods or work, the G-400 is still a great guitar.

I'd still take the G-310 over the plywood LP Juniors.

And again, I stress, it's a terrible investment to buy a ****ty guitar brand new and fix it up. Buy a used one that's beat up, or something. The LP Junior, no matter what you say, is a ****ty starter guitar. It comes in starter packs. It's a poor investment, no matter how you look at it. It's not going appreciate in value, you have to put a bunch of work into it, it's not that playable of a guitar.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The G-400 is actually quite playable. It's my number 1.
The pots were actually decent. The switch, thought not the best, is overplayed by people as a problem. Without mods or work, the G-400 is still a great guitar.

I'd still take the G-310 over the plywood LP Juniors.

And again, I stress, it's a terrible investment to buy a ****ty guitar brand new and fix it up. Buy a used one that's beat up, or something. The LP Junior, no matter what you say, is a ****ty starter guitar. It comes in starter packs. It's a poor investment, no matter how you look at it. It's not going appreciate in value, you have to put a bunch of work into it, it's not that playable of a guitar.

Never said the G-400 was unplayable.

The G-310 is made of the same stuff as the juniors.

There's not a non elitist, non L.E. epiphone under the sun that's going to appriciate like a gibson of any kind. They can hold value, sure, but not really gain much.

The effect of wood on tone is VASTLY overstated.
A maple guitar does sound brighter than a mohagany.
An alder does have less sustain than ash.
Basswood has more high and mids than agathis.
Can you tell this all blindfolded though the same pickups and amp(but at different EQ settings)? Doubtful. Extremely.

Does the Solid state clipping at movie theaters bug you?
If not, then you can't tell what wood is in a guitar from sound.

New pots, pickups and jack isn't a bunch of work. Not if you've ever set a neck or fixed a broken headstock, routed for pickups, done ANYTHING with a semi-hollowbody through the F-holes. It's not much work if you've ever changed the batteries in your smoke detector.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Iansmitchell,
forsaknazrael,

you both need to back off.
quit posting quotes of each other and pissin about what the other has said.
the way you two argue is like listening to an unhappily married couple bitching about who's worse. him for leaving the toilet seat up, or her for leaving the cap off the toothpaste. almost always subjective, all point-of-view. but you state these things as fact, and the few facts that are presented are often wrong and usually misapplied when correct.

i won't say who's who. you can both assume you're the wife.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Iansmitchell,
forsaknazrael,

the way you two argue is like listening to an unhappily married couple bitching about who's worse. him for leaving the toilet seat up, or her for leaving the cap off the toothpaste. almost always subjective, all point-of-view. but you state these things as fact, and the few facts that are presented are often wrong and usually misapplied when correct.

I'll admit I did start to get a little overly defensive and really didn't go about this the right way.

TS needs to find their own way, whatever it may be.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Never said the G-400 was unplayable.

The G-310 is made of the same stuff as the juniors.

There's not a non elitist, non L.E. epiphone under the sun that's going to appriciate like a gibson of any kind. They can hold value, sure, but not really gain much.

The effect of wood on tone is VASTLY overstated.
A maple guitar does sound brighter than a mohagany.
An alder does have less sustain than ash.
Basswood has more high and mids than agathis.
Can you tell this all blindfolded though the same pickups and amp(but at different EQ settings)? Doubtful. Extremely.

Does the Solid state clipping at movie theaters bug you?
If not, then you can't tell what wood is in a guitar from sound.

New pots, pickups and jack isn't a bunch of work. Not if you've ever set a neck or fixed a broken headstock, routed for pickups, done ANYTHING with a semi-hollowbody through the F-holes. It's not much work if you've ever changed the batteries in your smoke detector.

I have done my own electronic work, it's not that hard, but why bother? I don't think you should have to buy a guitar and always replace everything.

And yes, I can hear a lot of those tonal differences. You can hear it on music records. I could tell when Gibbons is using a Strat versus his LP. Alder/Maple is easy to notice as brighter than mahogany. And yes, I can hear the more middy sound of Basswood. As far as sustain goes, I'd worry more about the construction of the guitar (hardware, neck type, etc..) than wood.

I watch my movies in high quality digital format at the theaters.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Iansmitchell,
forsaknazrael,

..fiiiiine. i'm done.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Iansmitchell,
forsaknazrael,

What a buzzkill......

.....shesh
hey, TS maybe i missed a post or two, but if you have a squier affinity, you already have a better guitar body than the lp you were looking at.

you can get a single coil sized P90 pickup, if there isnt enough room for the mini bucker.

spend the extra money, blocking the trem and adding locking tuners.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
spend the extra money, blocking the trem and adding locking tuners.

i was planning on getting the locking tuners but im kinda new at this and i feel kinda dumb asking but how do you block the trem?