Hey guys.

I've been trying to write for a project which is influenced by Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Turisas and TYR mainly but with some Prog thrown in..

The 3 songs i've written seem rather repetitive and mid tempo..

Do you guys have any tips on how to write good songs in this style? What kind of scales and modes would suit the music? I just want to know how to get started really. I don't know a lot of scales.

Many thanks
David
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
I dont know much about music theory, so I wont be of much use in that aspect. However, folk metal is pretty much like any other genre of folk; in that it incorporates "folk" instruments. Having mid-tempo songs isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you want to complicate things change up the pacing.

If you've not heard of Eluveitie, look them up. They have some good arrangements that may help you. PS: all those bands listed are great.

Sorry I can't be of much use.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Figure out what scales and modes those bands use and go from there (nice band selection BTW) also, yes folk instruments are important to get that sort of sound.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Ulalume
I dont know much about music theory, so I wont be of much use in that aspect. However, folk metal is pretty much like any other genre of folk; in that it incorporates "folk" instruments. Having mid-tempo songs isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you want to complicate things change up the pacing.

If you've not heard of Eluveitie, look them up. They have some good arrangements that may help you. PS: all those bands listed are great.

Sorry I can't be of much use.

Thanks, i'm a fan of Eluveitie too, Ishould have noted them. They were great live when I saw them!

Thanks guys..

I do find it hard to work out what modes and scales they are using from tabs though, ack.
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Anymore tips.. I've done dead of ideas since writing the current songs.. feeling a bit down on it, I guess we all have moments like this with our instruments right :p
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9