k...so.... heres my problem

i kno an ok amount of theory
but when i play i really only think in shapes

i kno a few scales i kno a little about diatonic harmony and chords and keys and all that junk

but i can't think fast enough to actually go ok this is from an A minor scale
i just play what sounds good

but thats only for improv im talkin about

if i sit down and write something im fine

anyy suggestions would help alot guys

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
there's a fine difference between knowing "scales and chords and all that junk", and understanding it.

you, my friend, do not understand it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Narc, first off, don't you have a teacher? Start asking him about some of this--if he's not teaching you how the scale work relates to playing, then that's a bit of a problem in and of itself.

Dan's right--your really not understanding the theory. You're like the ballet student who has learned 1st through 5th position and now wants to use that basic knowledge to dance Swan Lake. There's a bit more in between the basic scales and how they get applied and used in your bass playing or playing of any instruments.
learning music theory doesnt mean anything if you cant put yourself into the music. just come up with some chords on piano or guitar and follow them on bass. learn different ways to go from one chord to another, as many as you can(remember, if it doesnt sound right, try different notes, dont be scared to experiment). its bass guitar, first you have learn how to add mood and groove to your playing before you get all flashy and whatnot.
Quote by anarkee
Narc, first off, don't you have a teacher? Start asking him about some of this--if he's not teaching you how the scale work relates to playing, then that's a bit of a problem in and of itself.

Dan's right--your really not understanding the theory. You're like the ballet student who has learned 1st through 5th position and now wants to use that basic knowledge to dance Swan Lake. There's a bit more in between the basic scales and how they get applied and used in your bass playing or playing of any instruments.

no man will understand that last comparison.

and if they do, they're not gonna say...

mess with the scales, start trying to only use those notes when you improvise.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm sorry every once and while I have to sneak in analogy like that. It helps broaden 99.9 % of the forum's horizon. Or confuses the hell out of you. Hey, I understand all of your analogies!

My current bass teacher is great in relating theory to actual playing and improv. One thing he always does that I find very useful, is to teach a scale or piece of theory and then take one or two songs, and show how it applies. For instance, we have been spending time on the whole tone / half tone diminished scale and its use in the ii V I progression and then we worked through 3 or 4 songs that you could use that scale to create walking bass line or ascending runs.
naw. it was cool. now if say, Fitz had posted it (and he probably wouldn't) we'd all be questioning his manliness.

I do that, my teacher told me how before I ran out of money.

Now I know much.

He knew I was poor, and made the best of it. Without him I'd be telling everyone they lyk mudkipz or something stupid like that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i did have a teacher yes but i had to stop taking lessons in february so i have been out of it for a while...i really only just ajam at school and play myself at home now

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....