I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages to using flatwound strings would be. What are the strengths and weaknesses of flatwounds and roundwounds and what are each best suited for. can anyone help?
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)
Well its all on preference of what sound you want to achieve. Flatwounds give quite a dull uncoloured bassy tone which is good for fingerstyle with a very vintage tone. Roundwounds on the other hand give a bright tone which is good for anything really depending on what sound you like. Roundwonds will also give a good slap tone.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Flatwounds have a mellow sound which is good for types of music such as fingerfunk and classic rock, they're smooth to the touch and you will not get any noise created by your finger sliding on the string. Flatwound strings also do not need to be replaced very often, if ever.

Roundwound strings have a much brighter sound and are better for styles like slapfunk or punk, they're rough to the touch and you will get finger noise. The brightness dies out fairly quickly so they need to be replaced quite frequently.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
^Pretty much what he said, flats give off a very nice vintage 1950's J-bass sound. I use them on my Fretless and the do very well with it. Though here in a month or two I'm probabally going to switch it out for round ones, just to see the differance with the pick-up.

Rounds will give you a better over-all sound though, flats are pretty much just for vintage sound.
I've used both, I now I use roundwounds, but I like groundwound strings a lot (roundwound strings that have been filed down so they feel more like flatwounds)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you want to know what flats sound like listen to my mp3s in my profile.

I think I'm going to change them out for some rounds tommorow.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I prefer Rounds by a lot, mainly because they can do a lot more.

Flatwounds are pretty one-dimensional.

...no pun intended.
The.