Page 1 of 2
new pics and bass pics are now up (scroll down)

so ive been researching doin a swirled paint job on my guitar for a while now even though my guitar is a strat copy and usually people do this paint jobs on jems etc. and seeing as i spent a lot of time asking the people on UG for advice i thought i would let you guys know how it turned out. i absoloutly love the thing and i cant wait to finish lacquering it up so i can play it again.

heres the front

and the back

the photos there really dont do it justice (the orange is really bright) but i will return later with better pics as my mate still has them. i will also post pics of his black and yellow bass that we did at the same time

Edit (new pics)

Sanding

Primed

Testing

Finished shots, you can see how the lacquer has bought out the black when you compare to the first pictures that i posted

and my friends bass, he wanted a more minimalist swirl on his

scroll down to latest post for more general tomfoolery pics

there are a few problems with it, it has one or two drips on it and as a result there is a bit of bubbling aound the bottom edge as you might be able to see (sorry poor quality camera phone pictures) but im hoping ill be able to sand this smooth once i get a decent layer of lacquer on the thing, but even if i can im still really happy with it.

also does anyone have a a decent idea for the new color pickguard? i was thinking black pearl maybe but im not sure???

happy to answer any questions you might have

enjoy

~schnips~
Last edited by schnips63 at Jun 29, 2008,
looks good
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
That is really nice. I usually don't like swirl paint jobs but that is really good.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Cool color combo, Looks like marble!

I'll be watching this, I want to see it finished.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Looks awesome

I never really "got" swirls until I owned an RG 20051.

It all made sense after that and while I am a minimalist when it comes to guitars (Natural gloss with Black hardware FTW), I do have a closet desire to swirl every one of my guitars.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Why dont you get a blank pickguard and swirl that as well?

and can you please detail the process you took to get that swirl, I am planning to do my own and would REALLY appreciate the info!

Cheers

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Mirror pickguard!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

i looks like the sides of a cliff. badassery
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
also because the guitar is h/s/s i was thinking of gettin a halfway decent humbucker for the bridge while im at it, i play mainly classic rock and bluesy suff, and you can see my equipment in my sig, so if anyone has any decent suggestions.... let me know
Last edited by schnips63 at Jun 25, 2008,
^ hey could you decribe the swirl process you used please?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Project Guitar has one, and it's linked in the FAQs.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Dude thats sick. It looks like a piece of marble. Nice job.

As for the pickguard, get a clear one. You don't wanna cover up that nice swirl.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
i'd say a black pg, or a swirled one (as stated above).

is your trem cavity recessed on the back? i couldn't tell from the pic.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by schnips63
also because the guitar is h/s/s i was thinking of gettin a halfway decent humbucker for the bridge while im at it, i play mainly classic rock and bluesy suff, and you can see my equipment in my sig, so if anyone has any decent suggestions.... let me know

actually its pool routed so you could use HHH or HHS or HSS or SSH etc.etc. ...lol

i just pictured it. a custom strat pickguard for HHH made from clear plexi so it doesnt cover up the paint. THAT my friend, would be one of the nicest looking customized guitars ever, hands down
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
actually its pool routed so you could use HHH or HHS or HSS or SSH etc.etc. ...lol

i just pictured it. a custom strat pickguard for HHH made from clear plexi so it doesnt cover up the paint. THAT my friend, would be one of the nicest looking customized guitars ever, hands down

That would be amazing
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
also, TS, you really will wanna lookinto getting some of that special black shielding paint for the pickup and control cavity, because without it, it may make unwanted noise. check to see if Stewmac or Warmoth carries it in cans.

Quote by Firequacker
That would be amazing

i kno rite! oh and i looked up what kinda material it would be, and you could look for Acrylic. but the HHH might have to be custom
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by bjovi400
i kno rite! oh and i looked up what kinda material it would be, and you could look for Acrylic. but the HHH might have to be custom

you can always cut it yourself! make sure you've got it all marked out, you could even buy a HH standard, and cut a 3rd hole if you were adventurous enough!
------

Shwiggity.
Make the pickguard a reverse swirl with the same colors.

As in, if you used a black base on the guitar and added the orange to the mix, do the reverse. Add a bit more black than the orange to really make it look proper.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Looks pretty awesome.

Quote by dead-fish
Make the pickguard a reverse swirl with the same colors.

As in, if you used a black base on the guitar and added the orange to the mix, do the reverse. Add a bit more black than the orange to really make it look proper.

+1, you should do the pickguard like this.
God, I want a swirl paint too

Great job dude!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
right i hate to break it to you guys but im not a big fan of hhh strats so thats off the cards and i dont really have the money for the extra pickups, also no more swirling im back from uni for a few months and all the stuff i left down there and i really dont think swirl on swirl is going to look good either.
you cant see it from the picks but inside the cavity is really poorly done, i didnt bother preparing it properly because i knew it would be covered so im not too sure about a see through pickguard.

sorry to burst your bubble guys

on the upside i will be posting details of how i got the swirl a bit later along with better resolution pics of my guitar and my friends bass we did so... watch this space

~schnips~
o.k my computers being gay so il have to do this in two posts

Quote by Absent Mind
Why dont you get a blank pickguard and swirl that as well?

and can you please detail the process you took to get that swirl, I am planning to do my own and would REALLY appreciate the info!

Cheers

i dunno i dont think swirl on swirl would go too well to be honest, a mirror pickguard may be a good idea though.

right well i cannot take complete credit for this project, it was based on the tutorial on project guitar (http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm)
then i used these threads for some help and inspiration
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797859
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816580
and these videos and photos helped
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/tonygayter/?action=view&current=swirling.flv

~schnips~
right i used plasti-kote white primer to prime the guitar and humbrol enamel model paints for the swirl. only the matt and some of the satin paints work so dont bother with any gloss ones. i used orange number 82 and the satin black that they do (the satin black works better then the matt)

we filled the container straight from the cold tap, warmer water does not do much and only seems to make the paints skin up easier. i could not give you measurements on the amount of borax used as we measured by eye, and there is no point waiting for the borax to settle for 30-40 minutes like some websites tell you to, just wait until the borax has gone (or nearly gone) and the water has stopped moving.

then you need to drop the paint in from just above the surface of the water, any higher and they will sink, and wait for them to spread across the surface. the more paint you use the stronger the colour, when you swirl do it very gently otherwise the colours mush together. then you just need to keep on testing, we did about 20 test dips the day we did it and we did another 10 the day before just to get the technique down. i would advise keeping your guitar close to hand so when you do get a swirl you like the look of you can just dip it straight away. make sure all the paint is cleared off the surface when the water because the double dipping effect looks horrid. and dont worry if you dip and then dont like the effect, you can just prime over it a few times and be ready to dip again the same day.

some other tips would be to make sure your guitar is completely waterproof through priming and wax in any holes, try not to do it outside on a windy day as this effects how quickly the paints skin up on the surface and just test test test untill you find a combination of things that work for you, oh and dont try thinning any pains as project guitar tells you to do because it doesnt work and you waste a tin of paint.

right if anyone wants something more specific answered then please ask

~schnips~
Last edited by schnips63 at Jun 27, 2008,
You used acrylic paints? Damn, thought i knew everything....

What size container did you use with how much borax. I'm using a trashcan (35gal) with about a cup.
Quote by dogismycopilot
You used acrylic paints? Damn, thought i knew everything....

What size container did you use with how much borax. I'm using a trashcan (35gal) with about a cup.

sorry sorry you are right i meant to say enamel, i have edited my post now

TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAR ACRYLIC PAINTS DONT WORK

i dont know how many gallons or litres my container was (it wasnt designed to hold water) so i cant really help you there, i would advise just experimenting
You did a brilliant job on that. It looks great! just get it finished with the hardware.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

That's awesome lookin dude. I might just have to finally go through with re-painting my squire's body now
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
That looks fantastic, great choice of colours! I loves me some swirled guitars.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
I vote for the clear pickguard.....Looks very nice and I want to see that bass!
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
That is one of the better looking swirls I've seen. You did a great job!
Don't get a clear pickguard, they look awful on strats because you see all the nasty wires and the cavity. I'd go with black pearl or just plain black. As far as a humbucker goes, try Bill and Becky Lawrence at billlawrence.com, I have a set of their buckers which I adore. Great price and fantastic sound.
Haha, ok, thanks for the clarification bro.

I'll get to it after my hydrogen powered car.....

>.>

<.<
Quote by thedonutman
Where did you get the Borax from? I can't seem to find it anywhere except online.

simple, get down to your nearest (larger size) boots, in the cleaning section
Last edited by schnips63 at Jun 29, 2008,
Any pharmasist/chemist should stock it, or you can get it online

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Page 1 of 2