I want to upgrade from my Raven RG20 to a better amp with more effects. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these two, but I want to know if there is any difference between the two?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-XL-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483003-i1320282.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15w-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102640570-i1145734.gc

They both supposedly have 11 effects, but since there is no picture of the nobs on the AD15VT-XL I wanted to know if there is any major differences and which one is better?
the Xl's are supposed to be better suited for metal, but in reality, they're crappy.

the normal VT's are the ones you should look at for anything up to hard rock. anything harder, and a cube should suit you better (though it won't sound as good as the vox for lower gain sounds).

/Standard UG answer to this kind of thread
I've heard that there's no reason to go for the XL series. Although Guitar Center's prices confuse me...the XL is supposed to be the more expensive one. Just look at the MSRP prices.

I believe it has a few different sounds it can get, but apparently they aren't very good. I have the AD30VT and it's pretty awesome.
Put simply the XL is more metal orientated
My Gear:

Vox Valetronix AD50VT

Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry

Brown Sunburst Maple Neck Fender Strat (MIM)
I have the AD15VT and it really is a very good amp considering it's price. After about 1:00 on the master volume you can tell the speaker is starting to struggle, but it's not really meant to be used for high volumes
Quote by alexlemon2
I have the AD15VT and it really is a very good amp considering it's price. After about 1:00 on the master volume you can tell the speaker is starting to struggle, but it's not really meant to be used for high volumes

Yeah, the 15 has an 8" speaker, yes? The 30 has a 10".
Yea, this is just going to be used for playing and practicing and home, not gigs or band practice or anything.

Quote by GuitarJoe91
Put simply the XL is more metal orientated

As the others have said, are the metal features on it good? I want something that has good distortion, crunch, and gain but then can go back to clean if necessary.

And yea, I don't know why the XL is cheaper, that's why I was looking at it though.
Quote by -Lateralus-
Yea, this is just going to be used for playing and practicing and home, not gigs or band practice or anything.

As the others have said, are the metal features on it good? I want something that has good distortion, crunch, and gain but then can go back to clean if necessary.

And yea, I don't know why the XL is cheaper, that's why I was looking at it though.

No, they're not.

They regular one has some great sounds in it though. Should cover your bases.
I believe the physical construction of the XL and non-XL amps are identical. The knobs and such are definitely the same. The largest differences to notice are probably the speaker sizes. For the equivalent model, the XL side usually has a larger or even an additional speaker. The XL series is definitely more for metal. I had one for a few weeks and while I loved the wicked sounds at first, I was a bit disappointed in the overdriven sounds. Anything I played through it sounded like metal(aside from the glass channel which I was alright with though it was a tad bassy).

The AD series seems to be the tried and true veteran here, but if you know you like high-gain then you might want to listen to an XL and see if it works for you. The prices are really whacked right now for some reason too(they were a good $50-60 more than the AD series a few weeks ago).
Quote by The red Strat.
^read my previous post.

I was wondering why it is bad for metal exactly? I will probably go with the 15V anyway though, but j/w if anyone knows.

"anything harder, and a cube should suit you better"

Did you mean tube???

Thanks for the help so far.
Quote by -Lateralus-
I was wondering why it is bad for metal exactly? I will probably go with the 15V anyway though, but j/w if anyone knows.

Did you mean tube???

It's not "bad" for metal, but the XL features are supposed to help you with metal sounds but they don't really.

And he meant Roland Cube. Another good amp in your range.
Quote by TheProducer
It's not "bad" for metal, but the XL features are supposed to help you with metal sounds but they don't really.

And he meant Roland Cube. Another good amp in your range.

Thanks. Will check it out.
Quote by -Lateralus-

Did you mean tube???

it sounds thin, and VERY muddy. just bad, really.

no, i meant cube. Roland cube. they sound better for metal (harder stuff in general) but the VT's by vox sound better for low to mid-gain stuff generally.
Quote by The red Strat.
it sounds thin, and VERY muddy. just bad, really.

no, i meant cube. Roland cube. they sound better for metal (harder stuff in general) but the VT's by vox sound better for low to mid-gain stuff generally.

Yea, just saw this one and it seems to have the same features as the Vox

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-20X-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-487031-i1169243.gc

Can it play relatively clean though?
they may have similar features, but that doesn't mean they both don't excel at different things.

of course it can play clean, and the vox can do high gain too, no problem, but the clean and mid-gain sounds on the vox will generally sound better than those on the cube, and the higher gain sounds generally sound better on a cube than on the VT.
Quote by The red Strat.
they may have similar features, but that doesn't mean they both don't excel at different things.

of course it can play clean, and the vox can do high gain too, no problem, but the clean and mid-gain sounds on the vox will generally sound better than those on the cube, and the higher gain sounds generally sound better on a cube than on the VT.

+1

The cleans on the Vox are very nice and thanks to the model there are a couple completely different variations of clean. I don't use a lot of gain so I can't comment. I just use the AC30 primarily to emulate some tube breakup.
Quote by TheProducer
+1

The cleans on the Vox are very nice and thanks to the model there are a couple completely different variations of clean. I don't use a lot of gain so I can't comment. I just use the AC30 primarily to emulate some tube breakup.

IMO, the high gain channels on the AD series are just as good as the Cube's. If not better. They have a certain warmth about them that the cube doesn't. Might not be for everyone, but I find it to be better.

The fact that the AD15VT has an 8 inch speaker should take care of the sometimes loose low end that I get with my AD50
Quote by imgooley
IMO, the high gain channels on the AD series are just as good as the Cube's. If not better. They have a certain warmth about them that the cube doesn't. Might not be for everyone, but I find it to be better.

The fact that the AD15VT has an 8 inch speaker should take care of the sometimes loose low end that I get with my AD50

Do you find that the low-end gets a little sloppy too? I find if I use too much gain with my neck pickup it gets too bassy and sounds horrible.
Quote by TheProducer
Do you find that the low-end gets a little sloppy too? I find if I use too much gain with my neck pickup it gets too bassy and sounds horrible.

Yeah, it's pretty loose. Only on certain channels, though. The Boutique Clean, the Tweed and the UK 70's channels are the worst offenders.

Since I got my OD, though, it's pretty much a non issue. It really tightens up the low end and fills out the sound a bit.
Quote by imgooley
Yeah, it's pretty loose. Only on certain channels, though. The Boutique Clean, the Tweed and the UK 70's channels are the worst offenders.

Since I got my OD, though, it's pretty much a non issue. It really tightens up the low end and fills out the sound a bit.

I'm definitely going to have to look into that then. OD here I come.
Quote by The red Strat.
the Xl's are supposed to be better suited for metal, but in reality, they're crappy.

the normal VT's are the ones you should look at for anything up to hard rock. anything harder, and a cube should suit you better (though it won't sound as good as the vox for lower gain sounds).

^this.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by The red Strat.

This
Quote by mcrfobtai
This

I guess the question now becomes, while the features on an XL aren't useful, does it make the amp any WORSE than the non-XL series? Or can you get the same sounds/features and just not touch the XL features?

Just curious to help out the TS b/c for some reason GC has decided to sell the XL for cheaper than the standard one.
Quote by TheProducer
I guess the question now becomes, while the features on an XL aren't useful, does it make the amp any WORSE than the non-XL series? Or can you get the same sounds/features and just not touch the XL features?

Just curious to help out the TS b/c for some reason GC has decided to sell the XL for cheaper than the standard one.

Well it's a little bit of an apples to oranges comparison. The model selections on the XL are different than those on the normal ADVT. The only additional "feature" I can see are the speakers, but they're priced more to make up for that(well, they were).
Quote by Sanctus
Well it's a little bit of an apples to oranges comparison. The model selections on the XL are different than those on the normal ADVT. The only additional "feature" I can see are the speakers, but they're priced more to make up for that(well, they were).

Right, so the XL doesn't have the same amp models at all then?

In that case, don't get the XL. Get the regular one.
Quote by TheProducer

Yea, that is what I was wondering.

I have pretty much eliminated the XL though from my list of choices. I am leaning towards the AD15VT right now because I can't find a good Roland's Cube for under 200 that has been suggested. I hear the mini-cube is good and the 20X is only good for metal and not so great in sound, so I am mixed on those.
I still find that the normal Vox series to be very good for metal. i can't remember which channels but there were a few that had more than enough gain for most metal subgenres.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
I still find that the normal Vox series to be very good for metal. i can't remember which channels but there were a few that had more than enough gain for most metal subgenres.

US Higain channel maybe. It's way heavier than I'll ever need, but again this depends on what you play. I never really get past 12 o'clock on the amp models.
Quote by Kivarenn82

Nu Metal, UK 80's, UK Modern, US High Gain, and Boutique OD are all pretty good. The thing that makes them a bit dodgy is the fact that the US channel has a loose low end, but there are various things you can do to fix that, namely rolling down the bass...
Judging by your name, I'm guessing you play Tool. I get a pretty good tone out my AD30 for stuff off the Undertow and Ænima albums.
Keeping it real since '92
I recently did an in-store shootout on the Cube 20X vs the AD15VT, primarily looking for a hi-gain amp and imo the Vox stomped the Cube - it just sounded ballsier and smoother at the same time if that makes sense, so I walked out with the Vox - and as usual it sounded even better when I got it home!

Its ace hi-gain performance isn't surprising when you see what amps they've modelled though:

Boutique CL: Dumble Overdrive Special
Black 2X12: Fender Blackface
Tweed 4X10: Fender Bassman
AC15: Vox AC15
AC30TB: Vox AC30 Top Boost
UK 70's: Marshall Super Lead
UK 80's: Marshall JCM800
UK Modern: Marshall JCM900
Numetal: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
US Higain: Soldano SLO100
Boutique OD: Dumble Overdrive Special
Quote by Ausgeno
I recently did an in-store shootout on the Cube 20X vs the AD15VT, primarily looking for a hi-gain amp and imo the Vox stomped the Cube - it just sounded ballsier and smoother at the same time if that makes sense, so I walked out with the Vox - and as usual it sounded even better when I got it home!

Its ace hi-gain performance isn't surprising when you see what amps they've modelled though:

Boutique CL: Dumble Overdrive Special
Black 2X12: Fender Blackface
Tweed 4X10: Fender Bassman
AC15: Vox AC15
AC30TB: Vox AC30 Top Boost
UK 70's: Marshall Super Lead
UK 80's: Marshall JCM800
UK Modern: Marshall JCM900
Numetal: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
US Higain: Soldano SLO100
Boutique OD: Dumble Overdrive Special

Kinda.

The UK 70's is model of a plexi, I believe, not a super lead. The UK Modern is modelled on a JCM2000 DSL. The Nu Metal is modelled after a Dual Recti, not a Triple Recti.

I agree with you though.
Cheers for the corrections, I just grabbed that list from some review I read.
Quote by Toolfan11
Judging by your name, I'm guessing you play Tool. I get a pretty good tone out my AD30 for stuff off the Undertow and Ænima albums.

Yea, gonna be playing mostly Tool and Tool sounding stuff and I like the current metal sound, so I want to try some of that too. This sounds like the perfect amp though, thanks for everybodies help.
Quote by -Lateralus-
Yea, gonna be playing mostly Tool and Tool sounding stuff and I like the current metal sound, so I want to try some of that too. This sounds like the perfect amp though, thanks for everybodies help.

Yeah, another good thing about it is the built in FX like flange, delay, tremolo,ext. those are really helpful if you're like me and don't have the money for good quality pedals.
Keeping it real since '92
i've had mine for over a yr...i've got the AD50VT...i love that amp...i don't use the effects too much though...but i love the tone i can get...for overdrive i use the UK70's and for my cleans i use Black2x12...always sounds great, and i get lots of compliments on my amp too!