Specifically, a MacBook. I want to have a laptop for photo editing, recording and probably a lot of typed work. Something which will last and will be generally efficient.

So my questions are thus, can work be saved or converted to a format that can be used on computers running Windows OSs without running Bootcamp? Can Windows Live Messenger and Firefox be used, again, without running Bootcamp? How long can you expect to get out of a Mac before the software or hardware starts to become outdated (keeping in mind it would be used for University, so its life will be stretched out as long as possible)?

Thanks for the help, and I'd appreciate it if people avoided comments such as "lol macs sux buy a vista instead their much beter", this isn't a versus thread.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
you can get the ms office for mac, you can get a version of live messenger for mac i believe, and firefox does have a mac version
Dick+strings= owww
My acer laptop is losing touch between the screen and main bit so I'm looking into getting a mac too... as far as I know programs like safari would run better on a macbook so you wouldn't need things like firefox...
I'm aware you can get MS Office but I don't know if you have to run Bootcamp to do it, and I don't particularly want to take up space on a Mac by installing XP. To Mistress_Ibanez, I've heard Safari's a good web browser so I'm not too worried about Firefox, but it would be nice to have.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

I agree, you can get a decent speced laptop for half the price of a mac, aslongas you keep it in good condition (ie, virus scan, defrag, clean up temps and such) I see no advantage over a mac. Only the disadvantage you'll find compatability harder.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Why a Mac? They're waaaay to expensive for what they are.

Sorry rich kids of UG.

Because getting a Mac means I save on buying photoshop and recording software that I'd have to do if I got a laptop running a Windows OS.

Also, spending ALL of my money I get for my 18th as well as money I'll get from working to buy a Mac and living in council housing is barely "rich kid".

EDIT: I think you missed my point about not trying to convince me not to buy a Mac, I'm not asking for opinions on it.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper

So my questions are thus, can work be saved or converted to a format that can be used on computers running Windows OSs without running Bootcamp?

Yes. Most formats will work on both Windows and Mac.

Quote by roythereaper
Can Windows Live Messenger and Firefox be used, again, without running Bootcamp?

Yes. Although I prefer Adium over Messenger for Mac and a lot of people prefer Safari to Firefox.

Quote by roythereaper
How long can you expect to get out of a Mac before the software or hardware starts to become outdated (keeping in mind it would be used for University, so its life will be stretched out as long as possible)?

Macs tend to last longer than your average PC, and depreciate in value a lot less too.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Why a Mac? They're waaaay to expensive for what they are.

Sorry rich kids of UG.

Bet you didn't know virgin had shares in apple....

*slaps tribe card across Tom_hatton's forehead and runs off*

edit: oh, actually, I only get 17% off at the apple store. Paying 83% of the price of a macbook is still too high
get a macbook pro (the silver ones), and then get Paralells desktop, which allows you to run Vista on a mac.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by Kid Fisto
get a macbook pro (the silver ones), and then get Paralells desktop, which allows you to run Vista on a mac.

Hells no. I'm scraping to get a £700 Mac, let alone a £1,300 Mac.

Thank you, Bequickorbedead. Also, having not used many laptops- let alone MacBooks- how difficult is it to connect to the Internet wirelessly?
Call me Callum

Last edited by roythereaper at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
*slaps tribe card across Tom_hatton's forehead and runs off*

*Chases after Mistress_Ibanez and pulls her hair because he likes her *
Quote by Tom_hatton
*Chases after Mistress_Ibanez and pulls her hair because he likes her *

Hey! No cybering in my thread!

Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper

Thank you, Bequickorbedead. Also, having not used many laptops- let alone MacBooks- how difficult is it to connect to the Internet wirelessly?

It's more-or-less effortless as long as you have a unsecured wi-fi signal. Most universities have wi-fi coverage blanketing campus, so I don't think it will be a big problem. You can always use wired ethernet when you're in the dorms anyway.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Ah, that's good to hear. My worries about Macs have been more or less settled.

Any issues I should know about? Keep in mind I'm converting from a Vista Desktop, I don't intend to use it for gaming so that's no hassle.
Call me Callum

I know people who have had their Mac for.. a good 8 years.

Obviously you'll be best with a crazily spec'd out Mac Pro. However...

There should be a huge update within the next couple months. Not only a new processor and typical stuff, but most likely a new case design as well. Take that into consideration.

Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by Fishyesque
I know people who have had their Mac for.. a good 8 years.

Obviously you'll be best with a crazily spec'd out Mac Pro. However...

There should be a huge update within the next couple months. Not only a new processor and typical stuff, but most likely a new case design as well. Take that into consideration.

Fantastic!

Which means I can get the MacBook I'm after for much cheaper because the hardware will already be obsolete!

[Optimism]
Call me Callum

I have a basic mac with office 08 and yeah it transfers between pc and mac easily, the messenger is good but basic no webcam or games. I got this mac due to the travesty that is vista and it works spectacularly and is very reliable.
Quote by roythereaper
Fantastic!

Which means I can get the MacBook I'm after for much cheaper because the hardware will already be obsolete!

[Optimism]

While I kind of agree with that, I wouldn't call it obsolete. In my opinion, something is obsolete if it isn't being supported anymore, etc. Things like that.

Either way, best of luck!

Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
I agree, to be honest. But the price of this generation of MacBook will inevitably fall. Cheers, by the way.
Call me Callum

Quote by Fishyesque

Oh, is that true?

Apparently, my parents want to get my sister a computer because she's going into middle school in the fall. They want to give her mine and then I'll get a new one, a laptop.

The Macbook was one I was considering. I wasn't going to get it until around December anyways, so that's perfect. Will the prices be similar to what they are now?