Okay, I plan on buying a new tuner and I want to get a Korg. Should I get a GA-30 or a CA-30? What's the difference? Or do you guys recommend a different model or make? Thanks.
Last edited by meganh37 at Jun 24, 2008,
Buy yrself a chromatic pedal tuner You will NEVER need a new one. The Boss one is very good.
Get the CA-30 for sure. It's a chromatic tuner so it let's you tune to any note--good for alternate tunings/other instruments. I have this one. It's also great on batteries, if that helps! Haha. I bought it to replace this cheap Traynor one I had because I figured out that new tuner was cheaper than put a new 9 volt in it every week! I've had my CA-30 for years and it works great and I still haven't put in new batteries...

The other one is a guitar/bass tuner and it only tunes to the standard notes.

Quote by CobbZ
Buy yrself a chromatic pedal tuner You will NEVER need a new one. The Boss one is very good.

And it's WAAAYY more money
i have the Ga-30. it's pretty good and cheap and it let's you tune in whatever tone you desire.
the only downside i see is that it doesn't have and output jack. so you cannot connect guitar-tuner-amp
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by magnum1117
i have the Ga-30. it's pretty good and cheap and it let's you tune in whatever tone you desire.
the only downside i see is that it doesn't have and output jack. so you cannot connect guitar-tuner-amp

Does it let you tune to whatever note? I was under the impression that it only did a EADGBE sort of thing...

Some of the reviews on MF say things like:

My only real problem with this tuner is that it doesnt recognize drop d tuning. This is really annoying because a lot of the songs I play are in drop d tuning.

Probably because it only recognizes standard notes.
I think both the CA and GA let you tune to whatever note. But that's what I think and if that's true, what's the difference between the two...
Quote by meganh37
I think both the CA and GA let you tune to whatever note. But that's what I think and if that's true, what's the difference between the two...

USUALLY when something says Guitar/Bass tuner it's set to pickup only standard Guitar/Bass tunings. My Traynor worked that way. Got very annoying. A Chromatic tuner will pick up any note.
CA-30 is very nice.

Simple chromatic tuner, also works well if you're practicing singing.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by meganh37

That's true. But a regular guitar tuner has to be set to probe other notes than the regular EADGBe's, which can be a bit cumbersome sometimes. The Korg CA-30 can be used to probe any note anywhere on the fretboard and can handle all alternative tunings as well as all other musical instruments, including the human voice, without fumbling any button execpt the on-off switch.

And about battery consumption; mine never had it's batteries changed since I bought it in 2002, so it certainly helps to keep your ecological footprint small.
Quote by Marcel Veltman

And about battery consumption; mine never had it's batteries changed since I bought it in 2002, so it certainly helps to keep your ecological footprint small.

It seems like a ridiculous point, but yeah, a tuner that's always dead when you pick it up isn't good for the environment, but more importantly, my health. Made me want to put my fist through the walls.
I'd get a pedal tuner. I've got a CA-30 and it's a pain to unplug your guitar, then plug in the tuner then tune. It's much faster to have a pedal, plus they might be more accurate? If you want to upgrade from a tuner then get the pedal, but to replace a tuner then get the CA-30 if you don't want to spend extra money.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Quote by MorgMetal_666
I'd get a pedal tuner. I've got a CA-30 and it's a pain to unplug your guitar, then plug in the tuner then tune. It's much faster to have a pedal, plus they might be more accurate? If you want to upgrade from a tuner then get the pedal, but to replace a tuner then get the CA-30 if you don't want to spend extra money.

Remember that a good regular tuner will run you $20 but a quality stomp box will be much more. Big difference.

Plus, you can use a regular tuner for other instruments as it has a mic--i.e. acoustic, trumpet, etc.