Page 1 of 3
Depending on how fast you can pick it up, it can take anywhere from weeks to months to years... Protip: Practice A LOT. Analyze the way you pick and try to improve efficiency where you can. Look up articles/lessons/etc.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
Depending on how fast you can pick it up, it can take anywhere from weeks to months to years... Protip: Practice A LOT. Analyze the way you pick and try to improve efficiency where you can. Look up articles/lessons/etc.

ok thanks. i was under the impression that it always took many years for everyone to learn. i started today and already have improved (just a little).
Metallia man you might already have done some 3 - 4 string sweeps and not even know it. Kirk Hammet solos often have 3 notes in row on the GBe that he sweeps down and back up and such. If you play d d d and u u u in one fluid motion thats a 3 string sweep. Its not hard as doing all these yngwie arpeggios but just to make you feel better a sweep could just be a 3 string it doesn't have to be that youtube crazyness all these guys seem to be obssesed with.
- Use a metronome.
- It's actually better (I think) to practice with distortion, because otherwise you won't know if you're letting harmonics ring out when you sweep.
-Start slow and gradually increase the tempo.
-Start by separating down-sweeps and up-sweeps, and then put them together.
-Start with 3-4 string sweeps and move on to 5-6 string sweeps.
Thanks everyone. I've been practicing (day two of sweep picking) and already I've about doubled my speed. It's not very fast, but I'm getting there. The first song I'm trying to learn with sweeps is Dethklok's Duncan Hills Coffee. I've been watching Skwisgar's video on the solo on youtube, so I've definitely improved.

Feel free to post with any more tips.
Quote by jasonmetal love

i read through the main sweeping lesson, and i've been practicing

-------------12--12-----------------------------------------------
--------13------------13------------------------------------------
---14----------------------14-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------

a lot. Slowly getting faster. I practice a lot, so i don't think it should take me very long.
Another question I just thought of:

Is it necessary to use your pinky finger often in sweeping?

I would assume yes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by TheShred201
Yes. You do.

would the pinky be used in this?

---12h15p12------------------------------12-15--------
------------------13---------------------13-----------------
----------------------12-------------12---------------------
--------------------------14-----14-------------------------
------------------------------15-----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by TheShred201
Yes. Fingering--1-4-1-2-1-3-4-3-1-2-1-4

I've been trying to play that with 3 fingers. guess i should use 4.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
would the pinky be used in this?

---12h15p12------------------------------12-15--------
------------------13---------------------13-----------------
----------------------12-------------12---------------------
--------------------------14-----14-------------------------
------------------------------15-----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

i think the only time you would really need to use your pinky would be on the A string for that particular lick.
Quote by skyfire
i think the only time you would really need to use your pinky would be on the A string for that particular lick.

I disagree. If you use your pinky on both the A and E strings, then you would have 1 finger per fret, making the lick much easier. Plus it's good practice for the pinky this way.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by TheShred201
you CAN do it with 3, 4 is just easier.

I just tried it today with 4 fingers and it was easier.
Use a metronome, set it on 90 and start playing double notes. Use different variations of 3-6 string sweeps for an hour or more. Next day, increase the metronome by 10, repeat.
What I did to learn was just make up different sweep 'shapes' and practice them over... and over... and over again until they got much cleaner, then I would do them faster. I would go up and down the sweep so it was a constant tempo (something like that).
Also...
---13h17p13---------------13-17-------------
------------------15-----15----------------------
----------------------14--------------------------
---------------------------------------------------
if I'm correct, would the fingering be 1, 4, 1, 3, 2, 3, 1, 4?
Quote by Emo-Slayer
yes. u get that from duncan hills lol

yes. earlier in this thread i asked a question about the second sweep in the song. getting a bit better at playing it.
Quote by scguitarking927
Just pracitce, i got extremely lucky and picked it up fairly easily, took me only about a week to learn how to do it pretty well.

same here. i've been sweeping for a little less than a week (probably should practice a bit more), and i'm getting it pretty quickly.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
yes. earlier in this thread i asked a question about the second sweep in the song. getting a bit better at playing it.

just practice the solo alot it was the first solo i learned all the way through with sweep picking. i just practiced alot and eventually got good at it. also take it slow and build up the speed in it. its fairly fast
Quote by scguitarking927
Just pracitce, i got extremely lucky and picked it up fairly easily, took me only about a week to learn how to do it pretty well.

same with me it took three days to get the motion good. im still working on my speed
Quote by Emo-Slayer
just practice the solo alot it was the first solo i learned all the way through with sweep picking. i just practiced alot and eventually got good at it. also take it slow and build up the speed in it. its fairly fast

first solo i'm learning with sweep picking also.

tried to learn the sweep in deththeme, but i'm too lazy to detune to C standard. gotta find a way to play it in E standard or something.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
first solo i'm learning with sweep picking also.

tried to learn the sweep in deththeme, but i'm too lazy to detune to C standard. gotta find a way to play it in E standard or something.

What's wrong with playing it in E standard? Just use the same frets.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Hmm.. the only sweeps i have trouble with is those stupid one shaped like major (e root) minor (a root) full sweeps cause of the double notes that i need to fret with my ring finger =(
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
I made a song with arpeggios to practice (in Gp5).. I can upload it if you want.. some really strange ****. :P

Took me perhaps 2 month to start sweeping like I sweep now.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
What's wrong with playing it in E standard? Just use the same frets.

It would sound too high if I did that. I'll figure out something eventually, I'm gonna stick with practicing Duncan Hills Coffee for now.

Can anyone recommend any other songs with easy sweeps?
Quote by Metallica_Man55
It would sound too high if I did that. I'll figure out something eventually, I'm gonna stick with practicing Duncan Hills Coffee for now.

Can anyone recommend any other songs with easy sweeps?

canon rock
welcome home
dying in your arms
silent night bodom night
vela, together we await the storm
and if you get crazy

all yngwie and glass prison by dream theater
and pretty much every dream theater solo
e|-13h17p13----------13-17-
b|----------15----15-------
g|-------------14----------
a|-------------------------
d|-------------------------
e|-------------------------
   1  4  1  2  1  2  1  4

I would finger it that way; it derives from a larger "C" shape which is much easier to play if you finger it that way so the smalle shape should be done the same way. Of course this is all just in my opinion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

1 4 1 2 1 2 1 4

I would finger it that way; it derives from a larger "C" shape which is much easier to play if you finger it that way so the smalle shape should be done the same way. Of course this is all just in my opinion.

I find it harder to do it that way, because you have to move the first finger out of the position it's playing the 13th fret on the high e string, if that makes any sense.

I've gotten used to (and find easier) fingering it 1, 4, 1, 3, 2, 3, 1, 4.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
I find it harder to do it that way, because you have to move the first finger out of the position it's playing the 13th fret on the high e string, if that makes any sense.

I've gotten used to (and find easier) fingering it 1, 4, 1, 3, 2, 3, 1, 4.

I never said it was easier, I just said it was better; when you move onto the five string shapes this fingering will pay immense dividends.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 4 1 2 1 2 1 4

you did. but everyone has their own opinion.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
you did. but everyone has their own opinion.

I meant the larger shape is easier to play if you finger it that way; sorry, I was a bit drunk when I posted that reply last night.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I meant the larger shape is easier to play if you finger it that way; sorry, I was a bit drunk when I posted that reply last night.

it's alright. i just find fingering it the other way easier because i've been practicing it that way.
Page 1 of 3