I play electric guitar since December 2006, so about one year and a half. I have never taken any lesson, I'm self-teaching and I play mostly Metal and Hard Rock at home, about one hour a day. I know chords, pentatonic scale and all basic techniques like bending, palm muting, power chords, hammer on, pull off, alternate picking, a little bit of tapping, and so on. I can play some solos if they are not so fast, for example I can play well Fade To Black intro. However I'm not able to do sweep picking and faster solos (like some of Sonata Arctica) yet, and I can't do Sweet Child O' Mine intro at normal speed without making mistakes (any suggestion?). At least, I'm quite good at rhythm: I can change power chords fast (for example in Mysteria by Edguy) and I never go out of tempo.

Considering that I play since one year and a half, only an hour a day and I'm self teaching, am I good/fast on learning?
You're OK.

Although a slow learner IMO, as I started OCT '06 and, from I can tell, I play a LOT better.

So maybe practice a lot more?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
You say you know all these techniques, which I don't doubt, but it also matters how well you do them.

They only way to tell is if we can hear you play.

And why do you need to know if you're good or not? Just keep playing, knowing you'll only get better. It doesn't really matter what others think.
It really doesn't matter, these topics are stupid. guitar isn't a competition. If you are good then when you play longer you will be better than everyone else but if you aren't you won't.
I always think I'm rubbish, but most people say I'm really good (apart from fools that try to play, and just ruin it for everyone).

I bet that's how it is.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hey, I've owned a guitar for 10 years--and I still suck. Getting better now though, just never really focused. Kind of makes me sad to think about how good I could be.
Quote by sashki
You say you know all these techniques, which I don't doubt, but it also matters how well you do them.

They only way to tell is if we can hear you play.

And why do you need to know if you're good or not? Just keep playing, knowing you'll only get better. It doesn't really matter what others think.

THIS IS ALLLL TRUE

first of all who cares?
and text cannot prove your abilities
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
In a personal opinion, you're solid.

but don't ask, just know that you are good... don't let yourself get out of hand a brag or anything... but let people tell you you are good when they hear you play
Oh, if you guys want to hear me I'll upload some videos or mp3s soon. Then you can say if I'm good or not.
No we don't care, it really doesn't matter if you are good or not. Just play to have fun.
Quote by -Blue-
It doesn't matter. Learning isn't a contest... just play and have fun. What one person thinks is "good" will be different from what another thinks it is.

Perhaps by 'good' he simply means is he where he should be or if he can use the techniques as well as he thinks and if they sound right to a third party. Judging yourself is kind of like your mom telling you that you look good.
Quote by TheProducer
Perhaps by 'good' he simply means is he where he should be or if he can use the techniques as well as he thinks and if they sound right to a third party. Judging yourself is kind of like your mom telling you that you look good.
Yes that's what I mean. I don't want to become a guitar hero, I just want to know what you guys think about my skills... if I make some mistakes or if I play right.

I'll upload something soon...
give it time. You'll be in a hole for awhile and then you'll realize that you're better than you thought
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
only a video or track of you playing can decide this
it dosnt really matter tho
Who cares....

'Good' is a relative term in this case, and IMO no-one should compare themselves to others, we're all individuals better at somethings, worse at others.

It doesn't matter whether you are better than anyone, as long as you feel confident in your abilities. Just keep playing and you'll do fine.
Adam
Fishing for complements is an unattractive habit and shows a lack of self-confidence.

Deja Vu...

EDIT: Sonata Arctica kicks ass.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Keep in mind he explained that he meant he just wanted an opinion of how well he was doing. Of course, why he'd want an opinion from people who are already tearing him apart for no good reason beats me.
You're getting there.

and when you ask this same questions in 5 years, you'll get the same answer. You're getting there.

Guitar isn't a race to a destination, its about a journey. I don't even know if there is a destination. I do know that when I'm randomly walking around in the street, going nowhere, just wandering, I enjoy myself a lot more than when I'm trying to go fast to a destination.

So forget about 'good' or 'where you should be' just focus on improving and enjoying yourself.
Quote by Sharck

Guitar isn't a race to a destination, its about a journey. I don't even know if there is a destination. I do know that when I'm randomly walking around in the street, going nowhere, just wandering, I enjoy myself a lot more than when I'm trying to go fast to a destination.

So forget about 'good' or 'where you should be' just focus on improving and enjoying yourself.

ahhhhhh-men!