Page 1 of 2
hey

could anyone recommend some pickups for my Ibanez RG350?

for metal/shred really, but with a warm neck pickup preferably
they have to be passive too, and not too extreme of a price.

Also, preferably without a cover, as I don;t really think it would look right.

Thanks in advance
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
seymour duncan jb's?
im not really a master of pickups, but i play the same style, and ii have them in my epi, and they work fairly well.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
bill lawrence l500xl bridge
seymour duncan '59 neck

The tonal range from those pickups is phenominal. The bill lawrence was designed to be played clean, very trebly to enhance those quick pickin' country and blues tones, but with some gain you blow heads clean off. Listen to Extreme or 80s Pantera to get the best idea of what it sounds like, but its great for shred.

The '59.... well anyone will tell you thats a great warm neck pickup!
budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
JB/59 or Full Shred/Jazzn.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I know it's a given, but a pair of Dimarzio Breeds is the best bet IMO. Fat, warm and also good for adding a bit of character to a basswood guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
erm, lets say maybe £100 - 150 for a set?
but less would be better to be honest
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
i just put new pickups in my iby 320dx
neck - emg hz h3 very warm and thick, kinda a lower tone.(doesnt catch pinch harmonics but makes sweeps sound really good and full.
bridge- seymour duncan screamin demon. great highs,loud mids, really loud low. great for pinchs, tone harmonics and crunch.

each pup wired in series, in phase

jym
Quote by Dust_to_Dust

i'd go with swinesheads for that budget- most likely warthog or venom in the bridge, spotlight in the middle (for nice cleans; if you want more dirt from the single go dragonfly), and condor or runaway in the neck. But email swineshead for advice on which pickups to go for for the tones you want.

rockmonkeys are probably worth a look too, but i haven't tried them.

If you can stretch a bit more, bareknuckles or bulldogs are probably worth a look (haven't tried bulldogs; again, email both for advice).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd go with swinesheads for that budget- most likely warthog or venom in the bridge, spotlight in the middle (for nice cleans; if you want more dirt from the single go dragonfly), and condor or runaway in the neck. But email swineshead for advice on which pickups to go for for the tones you want.

rockmonkeys are probably worth a look too, but i haven't tried them.

If you can stretch a bit more, bareknuckles or bulldogs are probably worth a look (haven't tried bulldogs; again, email both for advice).

how about neck?

how do you go about ordering these? by phone?

thanks
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the neck pickups

im thinking about a pair of Swineshead Xbuckers, but a problem has occured with my ibanez, the edgeIII seems to have something wrong with it, but ive never really used it , it just looses its tune very quickly now, and it buzzes around there
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at Jun 27, 2008,
i thought i suggested neck pickups? but as i said, email swineshead for advice, as they (obviously) know about a million times more than i do about their own pickups!

i'm not too sure about the edge III; have you tried posting in the only floyd rose setup thread (it's stickied)?

EDIT: I suspect xbuckers are way too heavy for what you want (almost certainly in the neck position, at least)- they're meant to be super-high gain, so great for modern metal, but at the expense of everything else...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they seem to be what i want, and on their website, the neck pickup sounds great for shred too.

Ill have to get it looked at, its really annoying me, its only just started doing it today
EDIT:i want the xbucker set
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust

Take the magnet out of your neck pickup and put it in your bridge and then take the magnet from your bridge and put it in your neck. This will give PAF tones from your neck and super distortion tones from your bridge. Most people that are brave enough to try this decide that they don't need new pickups after all. It's free so you really have nothing to lose. If you are afraid to do it yourself then send them to me and I'll do it for you and I'll only charge 5 quid and that'll get them shipped back to you as well.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
the neck pickups

im thinking about a pair of Swineshead Xbuckers, but a problem has occured with my ibanez, the edgeIII seems to have something wrong with it, but ive never really used it , it just looses its tune very quickly now, and it buzzes around there

The Edge III is wrong by design. It's made form cheap materials and doesn't last long. It's been covered half a million times that the knife edge just isn't up to grade - a cheap trem for a cheap guitar. Once the knife edge gets blunt, wave goodbye to your tuning stability. Sorry buddy, but the best you can do when the Edge III reaches this stage is to
a) swap it out for an Original Floyd Rose trem
b) block it so it stays stable
Welcome to the world of Edge III...

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
but don't the OFR cost alot more then the guitar is worth? and doesnt it need routing?

this may be an option for me, where in the uk could i get an OFR from?

Thanks everyone
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
but don't the OFR cost alot more then the guitar is worth? and doesnt it need routing?

this may be an option for me, where in the uk could i get an OFR from?

Thanks everyone

1. No routing is needed for MOST Edge IIIs, though there are a few odd exceptions, and at £129 for just the trem, yes, it's a sizeable chunk towards the cost of an RG350. However, OFRs will last and last and last.

2. I'd look at GAK, they supply almost anything:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74910

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Thanks alot, I may just get that done instead of the pickups, as its more important.
I dont even use the Edge on it because of what ive heard about them, so it just wore out with me using it?
Damn they must be crap

edit:
won't i need the full kit? or will the tremelo just be alright?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74911
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Thanks alot, I may just get that done instead of the pickups, as its more important.
I dont even use the Edge on it because of what ive heard about them, so it just wore out with me using it?
Damn they must be crap

Sadly, yes, the Edge III is not a good design. Generally, they aren't built to last as they are licensed Floyd Rose devices - Ibanez have to pay FR for the rights, so they can't spend as much on the trem design to get the guitar as cheap as it is (for comparison, see the S-series).
There are some good ones out there, but they are few and far between. Avoid the Edge III where possible.

For your edit: you already have most of the kit installed in the guitar - the trem itself should be a straight swap unless Ibanez have tried to spoil your fun by changing the routing. However, you would only need the trem itself in either situation.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
thanks, ill see if the place where i got my old ibanez done up can order it and fit it, as he did a great job with my tanglewood and ibanez

Thanks
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by CorduroyEW
Take the magnet out of your neck pickup and put it in your bridge and then take the magnet from your bridge and put it in your neck. This will give PAF tones from your neck and super distortion tones from your bridge. Most people that are brave enough to try this decide that they don't need new pickups after all. It's free so you really have nothing to lose. If you are afraid to do it yourself then send them to me and I'll do it for you and I'll only charge 5 quid and that'll get them shipped back to you as well.

i would try that first. I got new pickups for my rg before I heard of this trick...

i'd definitely email swineshead before plumping for xbuckers (apart from anything, they may be too dark in basswood)... if swineshead advise them, then go for them. But if not, i'd trust their advice. they were spot with their pickup recommendations for the tones i asked for. too many people think they need mental-hot pickups, and only very few people really need pickups that hot, in my opinion (like, if you only play br00tal metal exclusively). a lot of shred, for example, uses surprisingly mellow pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
also, don't discount the fact that the might just be badly set up. Ibanez' cheaper trems are generally trash, but i can't see that yours would be ruined if you never used it (i could be wrong though, and if you do a lot of bends and vibrato, that will move the trem slightly even if you never use the trem).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
also, don't discount the fact that the might just be badly set up. Ibanez' cheaper trems are generally trash, but i can't see that yours would be ruined if you never used it (i could be wrong though, and if you do a lot of bends and vibrato, that will move the trem slightly even if you never use the trem).

yeah i do quite alot of bends and vibrato, even the high e string seems out of place, it keeps slipping off the fretboard.
The guy in PMT said there was nothing wrong with it, but he didnt even take a proper look at it
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
you'd need to take the trem out to really see if the knife edges and studs were banjaxed...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i haven't a clue how to lol, im going to phone pmt in the morning to see if the guarrentee on it is still valid, as i may return it or something like that
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
just be careful, they may try to suggest that that's just normal wear and tear. I'm not quite certain how to fight that, but "you didn't warn me of that when I bough it" might be worth a try. before it gets that far, though, take a look at the office of fair trading website, as there's some useful stuff there about your rights and how long stuff should last, etc. etc.

But first things first, you need to figure out if there actually is something wrong with it or not. you can't march in demanding a refund if it's just set up badly...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true, but would that explain why the edgeIII rattles?
specially on the low E saddle, or around there

its a piece of junk anyway.
if i get an OFR, and new pick ups, its gonna be like a new guitar
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
yeah, but if you can determine (somehow) that it's faulty and can wangle a refund/exchange, you could get yourself an rg1570 which is a nicer guitar which already has a nice trem, for a similar price to the 350 + OFR.

i'm not too sure about the rattle... springs? loose saddle? high fret? as i said, i'd post in the floyd setup thread if i were you. i'm not too great with setups myself...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
theres only one problem, we don't know if the guarentee has run out yet, but i suppose that could work,
ill try that

Thanks for all the help mate

it seems solid, so i havent a clue whats causing the rattle
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
no problem. guarantees are normally a year, but if you check the OFT website, if it was an inherent fault you have several years, 6 i think (but may have to go to small claims court to prove it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CorduroyEW

is there any dangers that i should consider if i try this??
ƒuck your nuts
^yup, that pretty much sums it up

You need to be careful so you don't break any wires but if you do it the way forsaken just described you shouldn't have any problems.

It's also important that you make sure the side of the magnet that is facing the adjustable poles before the swap is still facing adjustable poles after the swap. If you accedently flip the magnet over then your pickup will be out of phase.
Not taking any online orders.
just took it in for repair, the guy said the person who set it up didn't do a very good job.
so he's doing a full set up, and he's going to file some of the frets down as they are sharp.

Im yet to decide on pick ups though, he also said that the OFR on gak.com wasn't the proper original floyd rose as its too cheap, and not stainless steel

Thanks everyone
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
how much is the one on gak? Ah, i see it's £129 now. That's a little cheaper than normal, but gak does say it's a special deal... i mean they normally go for £150 or so. Just don't buy one from this dude at like £300 or something daft...

EDIT: I've just noticed that the one at £129 is just the trem- the one with the kit (i.e. locking nut etc. as well) is £159, which is around the going rate, as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: i should add though that I've heard that the quality of OFRs is going downhill.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 28, 2008,
downhill?

damn

and thats the only direct replacement for an edge3 without routing?
but still, atleast its going to be better then the edge3
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
yeah, i'd have thought so, it's bound to be better than an edge III, but personally, based on what I've heard about the OFR, I'd go with a gotoh instead if it fits (i have one on my legra, and i also bought one for my rg, but haven't got round to fitting it yet as the studs are too big). I know suhr has switched to gotohs from OFRs because of the quality problem. As far as I'm aware, gotohs are a similar size to OFRs, apart from the studs, so they might be worth looking into- if an OFR will fit in an edge III rout, a gotoh should too (just watch out for the size of the studs, and also the size of the sustain block, which is pretty big on the gotohs). They're a little cheaper too, especially if you don't need the locking nut.

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/FLOYD_ROSE_LIC._BRIDGE_CHROME_GE1996TC

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/FLOYD_ROSE_LIC._BRIDGE_BLACK_CHROME_GE1996TB

depending on what colour you want... there's a routing template in those links too, under "related files". just check all the dimensions of the trem, including the size of the studs and the size of the sustain block.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 29, 2008,
Page 1 of 2