When im on the neck pickup on my strat plugged in to the vox da5 amp, and in the clean setting, when the vol is about in the middle or higher, the amp vibrates and buzzes, i think its coming from the back of the amp

However I went to try another vox da5 amp at a guitar center, and it also had the same issue. I was thinking of returning this amp and getting it online from guitar center, maybe those two amps had the same problems coincidently.

Or is this like this for all amps under 200 bucks?

EDIT: yeah the vibrating/buzzing is coming from the back of the amp, i don't think it's the speakers. What can i do to fix this? Will the ad15vt be like this ?
Last edited by lpmarshall at Jun 24, 2008,
Probably just because it's a tiny amp with a small speaker.

No issues of the sort with my AD30VT
Quote by RCalisto
what i've learned from having a vox amp was the following:
vox is no good.

That is somewhat general man.
it makes a buzzing noise that seems to come from the back, not from the speakers i think.
this only occurs when it's turned up quite a bit though.

i guess it's fairly normal, and it doesn't really bother me.

(ad5 here too btw)
Quote by lpmarshall
When im on the neck pickup on my strat plugged in to the vox da5 amp, and in the clean setting, when the vol is about in the middle or higher, the amp vibrates and buzzes, presumably coming from the speakers.

However I went to try another vox da5 amp at a guitar center, and it also had the same issue. I was thinking of returning this amp and getting it online from guitar center, maybe those two amps had the same problems coincidently.

Or is this like this for all amps under 200 bucks? Should i look in to the microcube, if they vibrate like that? But I do love the sounds im getting from this little amp. Or maybe the valevtronix? if they don't have the same issue.

Seriously though, if you have the $$$ to upgrade to an AD15VT or a Cube, I'd say do it.
Quote by RCalisto
vox is no good.

just because you have a cheap vox, you come to the conclusion they are a dodgy brand? that is ignorance in its purest form.

I think its just because its a little portable amp, although i don't think it should do that. Take it to the shop you got it from and see if you can get it replaced for a better one, if it still does it, its just a "quality" of the amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
just because you have a cheap vox, you come to the conclusion they are a dodgy brand? that is ignorance in its purest form.

I think its just because its a little portable amp, although i don't think it should do that. Take it to the shop you got it from and see if you can get it replaced for a better one, if it still does it, its just a "quality" of the amp.

Exactly. My Vox isn't crazy expensive but it's very good still. No problems at all.

Vox is pretty legendary so while they may not be your thing saying they're crap is somewhat overgeneralizing. AC30 anyone?
Quote by RCalisto
vox is no good.

Play an AC30, kid.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Play an AC30, kid.

+1

TS, maybe turn down the bass?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by The red Strat.
it doesn't have an eq except fot a tone knob.

Ouch.

Uh, bridge pickup an tone cranked? Haha, I don't know then...
TS what your amp is doing is actually pretty normal, tons of amps do it, it is just the cabinet that surrounds your amp vibrating, usually because you're using alot of bass, mids, and volume at the same time.
Quote by The red Strat.

does your amp vibrate when the volume is pretty low also?
Quote by The red Strat.

Then nevermind my previous post, except that it is the cabinet vibrating from the volume.
Quote by lpmarshall
does your amp vibrate when the volume is pretty low also?

what do you consider low ?

0.5 w, 1.5w, 5w - gain ?; master ?
Quote by The red Strat.
what do you consider low ?

0.5 w, 1.5w, 5w - gain ?; master ?

like .5 watt at master in middle? at the blues 1 channel.
1. Are you running it on AC power or batteries

2. What is the specific amp setting and effects setting

3. What is the wattage setting?

I own that same amp and haven't had that problem with it. It does sound better, though when you take the back off. It could be buzzing because the back is on.
Quote by lpmarshall

Put it on the 5 watt mode and take the back off.
Quote by lpmarshall

with gain on full, neck pup (strat), it had a slight buzz that seems to go away (almost) completely when i hold my hand against the back panel.

the volume wasn't all that low though
(the setting sounded pretty darn good actually with bridge/middle position )
Quote by imgooley
1. Are you running it on AC power or batteries

2. What is the specific amp setting and effects setting

3. What is the wattage setting?

I own that same amp and haven't had that problem with it. It does sound better, though when you take the back off. It could be buzzing because the back is on.

im on the blues 1 setting at .5 watts and i have the master on halfway and it buzzes the most on the 3rd fret of the low e string. If i turn the amp louder, the buzzing is slightly worse. my strat is on the neck pu

anways if i take the back of, would it affect the sound negatively anyway? or any way of messing up the amp, like make it more venerable to damagae, if I use it for travel alot?
I'm telling you, take the back off! It sounds so much better!
nah, it'll diminish bass response, and make the sound a bit brighter, but that's it.

^ i like it better with the back on
Quote by The red Strat.
nah, it'll diminish bass response, and make the sound a bit brighter, but that's it.

^ i like it better with the back on

Meh. It WILL get rid of the buzzing, though.

I lost the back to mine, and I travel from Irvine CA to Sacramento CA all the time with it (500 miles, and I stop on the side of the road and play my guitar). Still works.
you're not supposed to unscrew anything.

just pull on the black lip until the velcro starts to come loose.
Quote by lpmarshall
god damn im so retarded. anways buzzing gone! thanks for the help guys.

any time.
same thing happens to my Microcube, which is similar to the DA5. Think it's normal.