Is it better for my tone to use a little multi-effects box for things like chorus, delay etc
or to use several stomp boxes?

I was always a stomp box purist but I'm running out of room on my pedal board. I don't want bad tone though!

Any help would be great!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Several stomp boxes will be better for your tone. Yes, you'll be making more connections and a longer signal chain but the increase in quality of the effects over the multi-effects will negate this issue.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 24, 2008,
A good way to shorten the signal chain if you've got a TON of effects is to use a line selector and break up your effects into two chains(assuming that there are some that you never use with each other), or use the effects loop, that way your direct signal chain is shorter, but once you activate the loop it does lengthen the chain again. But solutions like these work well if there are effects that you only use for clean, and some that you only use for dirt.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Try putting ur chorus, delay and EQ in the effects loop. Put your distortion/OD, wah, etc in front of the amp.
Multiple stomp boxes will have a negative effect on your straight through tone, but in my experience not as much an effect as a multifx unit. That said, there are some very transparent multifx out there, the TC G System I tried was very clear.

If your willing to spend, www.thegigrig.com has some very nice solutions to your tone worries.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by 667
Try putting ur chorus, delay and EQ in the effects loop. Put your distortion/OD, wah, etc in front of the amp.

Yeah, that's the direction i'm going now but i think I'm gonna splice my chorus, delay and flanger into one large triple stomp box, that oughta free up some space, i gotta do some more research into it though
Unless you go for a TC electronics system or something similiar, any multi-fx you buy is going to suck all the tone out of your guitar/amp...
Quote by inefficiency
Unless you go for a TC electronics system or something similiar, any multi-fx you buy is going to suck all the tone out of your guitar/amp...

Yes, but what if I got a large pedal box, big enough for three PCBs, and implant all of the controls and circuits from the three pedals into it, placing 3 footswitches in the box? It'd be a chorflangelay!
Quote by ValoRhoads
Yes, but what if I got a large pedal box, big enough for three PCBs, and implant all of the controls and circuits from the three pedals into it, placing 3 footswitches in the box? It'd be a chorflangelay!

I would so buy that.
Imagine one with like, 8 different OD's.
Quote by ValoRhoads

It'd be cool, but I don't really see how you would be saving any tone by splicing them together, you'd just be putting them in the same box. The signal would still have to travel as far. And you'd still need a bigass box, so how much room could you save?
Quote by natel0083
I would so buy that.
Imagine one with like, 8 different OD's.

Nearly infinate tone options there!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by ValoRhoads

Yeah Dave Gilmour has/had a setup that was rigged like that, only it had a lot more than 3 pedals.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by TheProducer
It'd be cool, but I don't really see how you would be saving any tone by splicing them together, you'd just be putting them in the same box. The signal would still have to travel as far. And you'd still need a bigass box, so how much room could you save?

By my calculations I could make it 9 inches wide I could fit all three in there comfortably. 3 ind stomp stomp boxes with the cables hooked up is over a foot. In this case i could fit an extra pedal on my board. It wouldn't really save tone, just space.
I believe that short of a Bradshaw-style system that switches numerous loops on and off, the best way to retain signal and tone quality through a long chain of stompboxes is to have all of them except the first one (after you guitar) be true bypass, and for that first one to have a buffered input. This matters for some pedals more than others, obviously, but either way, they're pretty simple and/or cheap mods if you wanted to have them done to your pedals or do them yourself.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
True bypass would be the best way to save your tone...+1 on the previous post.

I would say away from the TC stuff though everything they sell is a tone sucker.