Tuning up to play Slipknot?

What gauge strings do you have on that guitar?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Looks like you need to have you're guitar adjusted.

Common causes of this problem are:
-String gauge too heavy for the springs that hold the bridge/tremolo down
-Broken spring
-Screws that hold the springs down need to be tightened
-You tuned your guitar way, way up

In your case, you said you tuned your guitar up, so you'll have to adjust the springs in the back. You can either screw the springs in tighter if there's room, or add an additional spring to pull the bridge back down. It should sit somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inch off of the body. You'll have to tweak things a bit to get it sounding right, and then if you tune back down, you'll have to re-adjust everything again.

One question though - Is it really necessary to tune the guitar up that far? Can you accomplish the same effect by using a capo?
Last edited by Wasted Resource at Jun 24, 2008,
wait what, tuning up for slipknot?? what were you tuned to b4?? like Zaphod said, what string gauge you have on there?
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Capo?

It's a cheap Guitar. Don't think the string are any good. I would buy new ones, but saving my money for a new Guitar so it's pretty pointless.
Tunin' it that far up? I thought i was doing what was needed.. haha.
It sounded alright when i was playing it.

Thanks for the help (:
Quote by fallenjuggalo
Capo?

It's a cheap Guitar. Don't think the string are any good. I would buy new ones, but saving my money for a new Guitar so it's pretty pointless.
Tunin' it that far up? I thought i was doing what was needed.. haha.
It sounded alright when i was playing it.

Thanks for the help (:

You should be tuning DOWN for Slipknot, the B that they're tuned to is an octave below the 7th fret on the low E string, see the tuning thread for more details on how to tune down to that. To be honest I'm surprised you haven't broken any strings trying to tune up to B...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.