Im sick of it. My bending is terrible and I think my ears are going to start bleeding soon if I dont fix it..

However, I'm not sure what Im doing wrong!! Iv'e watched a few videos and practiced it, but no improvement at all. So I make a video, hoping I can get some help and why my bends sound like crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzeJ1y55O0

Thanks. Any idea whats wrong?! P.S., sorry for the darkness.. seems to lose quality when I put it on youtube.
my teacher says to use 3 fingers when bending, it does indeed give the bend a better sound and feel, but for vibrato's and such just use one finger
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by Supafly1824
Im sick of it. My bending is terrible and I think my ears are going to start bleeding soon if I dont fix it..

However, I'm not sure what Im doing wrong!! Iv'e watched a few videos and practiced it, but no improvement at all. So I make a video, hoping I can get some help and why my bends sound like crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzeJ1y55O0

Thanks. Any idea whats wrong?! P.S., sorry for the darkness.. seems to lose quality when I put it on youtube.

Well, I'm just going to give you the standard answer of "practice." If you practice it enough, you're bound to get better. The bend at the beginning of the stairway solo sounded like it went to an E pitch, but the others weren't too great.
I do use three fingers. I guess it helps somewhat.

And i've put in hours and hours of trying to do bends and learning songs that use them... yet I still bed the same as the first day I picked up the guitar. Are there any general guideliens or tips to follow regarding bends?
Quote by RounderIII
I was expecting it to be worse...
Its not that bad...

Ehh maybe because I took my time and all. But when I try to bend in a song and all its horrid! I have another clip uploading and you'll see how it throws me off and all.
Quote by Supafly1824

And i've put in hours and hours of trying to do bends and learning songs that use them... yet I still bed the same as the first day I picked up the guitar. Are there any general guideliens or tips to follow regarding bends?

i guess you haven't put in enough time? just bend until you hear that you hit the right pitch and you're golden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCazHyVBA6w

This lesson, especially the first part is everything you need; Satch goes through everything from the way to practice bending to the way it should physically be done. Watch, listen and learn.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Supafly1824

Your bending isn't the problem. You're way ahead of yourself. It's obvious that you do not yet have the technique to be playing the Stairway solo, or the Sweet Child solo.

Here's how to practice bending. Let's use Stairway as an example. There are two parts to a good bend: getting to the correct pitch, and consistency (ignore vibrato bends for now). FIrst, play the D note on the G string (7th fret on 3rd string). Now, you want to bend it up two semitones to an E. The note E is the 9th fret of the G string. So first play the seventh fret, then the ninth fret, then bend the 7th fret up so it sounds like the 9th fret. Do that 10 times perfecly, then start bending up to the E and holding it for a second. That's how you practice bends.

Now, moving on. Pactice the A minor descend after the bend VERY SLOWLY and PERFECTLY. Your technique, timing, and accuracy aren't good enough to be attempting a quick ascend like that, so practice is slowly and perfectly. The first 6 notes of the descend are picked, which you're doing right. However, the next 4 notes are two sets of pull-offs , and finally, the last note is supposed to be held out.

Now, you're at your next bend. It's on the 8th fret B string, a G note. You're bending up to an A note, which you can play by fretting the 10th fret B string. Play the 8th fret, then the 10th fret, then bend the 8th fret up so it sounds like the 10th fret, just like last time. Do this with all bends.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
Your bending isn't the problem. You're way ahead of yourself. It's obvious that you do not yet have the technique to be playing the Stairway solo, or the Sweet Child solo.

Here's how to practice bending. Let's use Stairway as an example. There are two parts to a good bend: getting to the correct pitch, and consistency (ignore vibrato bends for now). FIrst, play the D note on the G string (7th fret on 3rd string). Now, you want to bend it up two semitones to an E. The note E is the 9th fret of the G string. So first play the seventh fret, then the ninth fret, then bend the 7th fret up so it sounds like the 9th fret. Do that 10 times perfecly, then start bending up to the E and holding it for a second. That's how you practice bends.

Now, moving on. Pactice the A minor descend after the bend VERY SLOWLY and PERFECTLY. Your technique, timing, and accuracy aren't good enough to be attempting a quick ascend like that, so practice is slowly and perfectly. The first 6 notes of the descend are picked, which you're doing right. However, the next 4 notes are two sets of pull-offs , and finally, the last note is supposed to be held out.

Now, you're at your next bend. It's on the 8th fret B string, a G note. You're bending up to an A note, which you can play by fretting the 10th fret B string. Play the 8th fret, then the 10th fret, then bend the 8th fret up so it sounds like the 10th fret, just like last time. Do this with all bends.

Thanks, this is helpful. Gonna practice all day tomorrow
practice them slowly. start from the original note and bend up to the desired note slow enough so you can hear everything in between. also, if you can't bend to the right pitch (ex. on stairway you bend the first note a bit too much) you shouldn't be playing the rest of the solo. work constantly on getting the first bend down so eventually you can do it at normal speed and have total control
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Honestly, your bends aren't as bad as when I started attempting them. But as for me, I just continued doing my normal routine and my bends gradually got better. I am by far "good" at guitar, but they are a world better than when I started. So if your like me, they will come in time.
i would say try to bend it to match the next note pitch, the way you do it your trying to get it to sound as sharp as you can. try not going too far

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
I learned by bending the E string to the other E string.

Each time one broke, it meant I should move on to the next string.
Quote by Supafly1824
Thanks, this is helpful. Gonna practice all day tomorrow

No problem .

One more thing though. One of the most important things about playing guitar, or doing anything for that matter, is your mindset. To be totally honest, your bends don't sound that bad at all. They're only slightly inconsistent, and you need to work a bit on your pitch. The problem is that every time you play a bad bend, you tell yourself how horrible your bend was, and that's putting yourself down and will make you think that you're worse than you actually are. I used to have the same problem with my accuracy. Instead of focusing positively on improvement, I would look at my playing negatively every time I made a mistake and it made me feel like my playing was bad, so I felt discouraged when I tried to improve.

So in the future, when you're not good at something, don't tell yourself that you're horrible. Focus on what you need to improve and look at it positively. A slight offset in pitch can ruin a bend and make it sound bad, but it's an easy problem to fix. So always look positively at your mistakes by looking at the causes and you might find thatthe cause is an easy thing to fix, and you're not a bad player after all .
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
you just need practice not only your bends but just playing IMO from watching that video it seems like you are trying to jump to more difficult things and are skipping steps to learning how to play the guitar
What i have been doing to practice my accuracy is turning my tuner on and checking so that I am sure I am getting an accurate bend. Doing that over and over on differnt strings and frets and then testing mysef by not looking at the tuner then bending to where I think its right and checking it. I do it in the middle of scales/etc. to help my transistion to the bend to become more natural.

That should help reinforce accuracy, you get more fluid by just doing it over and over.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Line6 600 Variax
- POD XT Live
- '86 Marshall 4203
- Roland Micro Cube
Quote by DVaxMan
What i have been doing to practice my accuracy is turning my tuner on and checking so that I am sure I am getting an accurate bend. Doing that over and over on differnt strings and frets and then testing mysef by not looking at the tuner then bending to where I think its right and checking it. I do it in the middle of scales/etc. to help my transistion to the bend to become more natural.

That should help reinforce accuracy, you get more fluid by just doing it over and over.

+1

i has the same problem too dude. just keep working at it until your fingers become more stronger. then your be bendin like crazy!
People are strange when youre a stranger
Faces look ugly when youre alone
Women seem wicked when youre unwanted
Streets are uneven when youre down
Quote by larrythelefty
you just need practice not only your bends but just playing IMO from watching that video it seems like you are trying to jump to more difficult things and are skipping steps to learning how to play the guitar

I agree and work on accuracy and finger strength firstso bending becomes easier. Just do scales all over the neck and build up your stamina. Then study pros like Satch, Yngwie, and even Kirk and follow their bending technique and how they incorporate them in their songs.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC