My friend and I have decided to learn how to shred on guitar.
But....we don't know many songs that involve shredding.

What I need is a list of a bunch of shredding songs, and it would be great if they could be ranked by difficulty in a sort of Rock Band tiers.

ROCK
seventeen by winger- really hard so gets pretty fast
pick a malmsteen song and there will be shredding
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Look up Buckethead, but I doubt you can handle it.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Learnig to shred takes about 2,5 years, so i dont know if its a good idea to just pick up a song and try to play it.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

buckethead, Dream Theatre, Symphony X, Shawn Lane, Racer X, Mr Big, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Bumblefoot, Outworld, Yngwie Malmsteen, John 5, Paul Gilbert (solo, Rusty Cooley (solo), John Petrucci (solo), cacophony, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman.

pretty much most songs from those artists.

there's a shred forum btw.

Quote by Gord@k
Learnig to shred takes about 2,5 years, so i dont know if its a good idea to just pick up a song and try to play it.

it takes far more than that.

lurk in the advanced technique forum too.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Flood Solo,Cowboys From Hell,ALL OFF DIMEBAGS WORK IS SHREDDING.

Yeah you got that right my friend.
scarified!!!! ftw!!!! string skipping sweep picking tapping and stuff like that...
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JxKbdu7L_8

Worst shredding ever? Worst SONG ever?

But seriously, difficult to play, not very musical, but will help with dexterity.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
To start try some Pantera/Metallica. Later on you can try stuff like dream theater, steve vai, joe satriani, yngwie malmsteen.
start out with 80's glam metal shred like the final countdown, rock you like a hurricane, nothin but a good time, cum on feel the noize, metal health, no one like you, i wanna rock, crying in the rain etc and once you can do some of those than you can move on to the harder shred like the shredders already listed
Quote by Simsimius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JxKbdu7L_8

Worst shredding ever? Worst SONG ever?

But seriously, difficult to play, not very musical, but will help with dexterity.

Oh my god. That was ****.

For speed training, learn Sting of the Bumblebee. That's pretty fun to play, too. If you work up in bpm with a metronome, you really see your speed improve.
-Under The Influence - Rusty Cooley

-No Boundaries - Michael Angelo Batio

-Sea Of Lies - Symphony X (Michael Romeo)

-The Damnation Game - Symphony X (Michael Romeo)

-Pull Me Under - Dream Theater (John Petrucci)

-Far Beyong The Sun - Yngwie Malmsteen

-Cowboys From Hell - PanterA (Dimebag)

-Domination - PanterA

-This Godless Endeavor - Nevermore (Jeff Loomis/Chris Broderick)

-Final Product - Nevermore

-Psalms Of Lydia - Nevermore
Quote by Lemoninfluence
buckethead, Dream Theatre, Symphony X, Shawn Lane, Racer X, Mr Big, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Bumblefoot, Outworld, Yngwie Malmsteen, John 5, Paul Gilbert (solo, Rusty Cooley (solo), John Petrucci (solo), cacophony, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman.

Learning the basics of the most common techniques takes about 2,5 years.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by PollyWntsCrack

yeah, terrible shredding

I also recommend the human abstract's first album. In addition to the shred, there's all around technical guitar that is great for skill-building.
Quote by synpet713192
yeah, terrible shredding

I also recommend the human abstract's first album. In addition to the shred, there's all around technical guitar that is great for skill-building.

No, for starting out Dimebag solos are great to learn. Especially the ones like Floods, Cowboys From Hell, Cemetary Gates, etc.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Gord@k
Learning the basics of the most common techniques takes about 2,5 years.

There is no set time it takes to learn something.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by PollyWntsCrack

Um, no, sorry, some of his stuff was shreddy, but far from all of it.

But, that doesn't make it a bad place to start.

Chances are you will not be able to pick up a shred song and play it anywhere near full speed any time soon, unless you already drill technique pretty heavily.

I'd stay away from putting too much effort into learning much shred right now, it's a big hurdle, and you'll waste quite a bit of time trying to jump it.

The best advice for learning shred by songs was the advice given earlier, learn hair metal. Check out RATT, Van Halen, Dokken, and Tesla, they're not shred, but they'll give you techniques that you'll need,

Really, if you are serious about shred, I'd suggest two things, first of all, I'd suggest you begin practicing technique pretty heavily. The second bit of advice I'd give you is to not bother right now, lots of people go through a "shred stage" where they think it's the most amazing thing ever and want to learn, then a few weeks/months/years into it they realize it's not what they thought it would be, and stop playing it. If you are serious about playing shred, focus more on your technique and accuracy when you play, for now, and, if you still want to shred a little while down the line, then start into it. I warn you, it's a major time suck, and it can get pretty stressful and aggravating.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by Mazzakazza
Oh my god. That was ****.

For speed training, learn Sting of the Bumblebee. That's pretty fun to play, too. If you work up in bpm with a metronome, you really see your speed improve.

Don't you mean Flight of the Bumblebee?

Pick any Vai song. His stuff is very melodic, full of emotion, and difficult to play. He doesn't consider himself a shredder, but wiki says many call him the greatest shredder in the world.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Lemoninfluence

This
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
i think you should just takae scales u know and learn to sweep pick them thats what i do all day just up and down the same few scales til my fingers memorize it and then start on a new scale and soon (by soon i mean in a long ass time) you can look at a shred song and get it semi easily
Yeah Dimebag pretty much created the shred[or created what it is today second to other early metal bands] so he'd probably be a fine place to start for learning it,
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Yeah Dimebag pretty much created the shred[or created what it is today second to other early metal bands] so he'd probably be a fine place to start for learning it,

lol no.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack