The Story

Right, so i've just started brutally saving my ass off, just like I did last august, I didn't spend a penny on myself from August 2007 - January 2008 just so I had enough money to buy a new gorgeous Tokai (Bought in Jan).

Now i've started saving just the same again, but this time will probably run through to xmas before I start spending again. I'm planning on getting a new pedal within the next year, a new amp as soon as I have the money (will hopefully have a good amount spare after purchasing pedal) and then finally a new guitar, in all honesty I don't think I will have the whole setup until i'm about 19, (15 now), hopefully I should have gotten the new amp before or just after my 17th, then it will take some serious saving for the guitar.

-

CURRENT SETUP:-

Guitars

(In order of purchase)

Marshall - Rocket Deluxe (Feb 2006)
Liberty - SG (Dec 2006)
Tokai - LP (Jan 2008)

Amp

Marshall - MG15CDR (Feb 2006)

Pedal

Digitech - RP80 (Dec 2006)

PLANNED SETUP:-

(in order of purchase)

Pedal

POD - XT Live / X3 Live £240-£300

Amp
Orange Head w/ Marshall Cabinet (undecided on which ones) £700

Guitar
PRS (Paul Reed Smith) - SC245 Goldtop £1900, £2100 with birds

^ Will get it with birds on the neck, a few hundred more amirite?

I play Hard Rock/Classic Rock (GNR, Aerosmith, ACDC, Metallica, Voodoo Six, Original hard rock)

-

Thoughts?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Last edited by Vauxite at Jun 24, 2008,
With the orange and marshall setup, i would recommend not getting a multi fx but just a few decent (analogue, if you're picky, like me!) individual pedals. Oh and get the amp first.

Other than that it looks nice

...though not getting a transparent finish on a PRS ought to be a crime IMO :p
Adam
Quote by adzlee123
With the orange and marshall setup, i would recommend not getting a multi fx but just a few decent (analogue, if you're picky, like me!) individual pedals. Oh and get the amp first.

Other than that it looks nice

...though not getting a transparent finish on a PRS ought to be a crime IMO :p

Goldtop... awwhhh.. i could fap over it..

wait.. wha?

Well I could use the pedal not just for home use, but for when I play at my youth group (yes, i'm a christian, get over it) and when I gig weekly, it would vastly improve the tone of the ****ty MG100 at Base.

So yeah, i was told by my ex-teacher to get a splitter on the POD as I could get the advantages of both the amps awesome crunch tone and the crazy tones a POD can get, apparently the Oranges really excel in the crunch tone & the POD struggles.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Wow. This is a four year plan? So much changes in four years, especially from 15 to 19.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, btw.

Quote by Vauxite
(yes, i'm a christian, get over it)

I enjoy the three devils in your sig, in this case.
Quote by TheProducer
Wow. This is a four year plan? So much changes in for years, especially from 15 to 19.

Well my current setup excluding the Tokai and maybe just the pedal is a sack of toss. By 19 I should hopefully have the new pedal, head, cab and a beaut of a PRS.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite

(yes, i'm a christian, get over it)

....so i am....

And its a sad fact you have to take that attitude to it. If anyone gives you any hassle about it, just ignore them.

Anyway, yeah, PODs are crazy alright, i mean i've a flextone and i do love it, but the tone from a pure analogue chain wins me over, so its just up to you!
Adam
Wow!

I know nothing really about equipment and stuff (probably shouldn't be saying that) but they seem fantastic! Love the guitar so much and that FX board looks so complicated. Do you know how many effects it has?

Also, that's a **** load of money! I could never save that in four years. How are you getting it?
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Quote by adzlee123
....so i am....

And its a sad fact you have to take that attitude to it. If anyone gives you any hassle about it, just ignore them.

Anyway, yeah, PODs are crazy alright, i mean i've a flextone and i do love it, but the tone from a pure analogue chain wins me over, so its just up to you!

It wasn't directed at you, it was a general to anyone who wants to give me stick.

Anyway, yeah i'll have a go on some in local shops see how it goes

Does it cost about £300 extra for the birds on the neck of the PRS? It's a lot for a few logos.

EDIT:

Quote by nuttyboy
Wow!

I know nothing really about equipment and stuff (probably shouldn't be saying that) but they seem fantastic! Love the guitar so much and that FX board looks so complicated. Do you know how many effects it has?

Also, that's a **** load of money! I could never save that in four years. How are you getting it?

It has plenty of effects, not sure how many to be precise, but theres loads of banks and you can make your own etc.
The money? Well im not gonna spend anything on myself for the rest of this year, with all my work wages and pocket money, and then christmas money, ill have enough to buy the pedal and have a good amount left over to start working towards the amp.
Then after college i can get a full-time job where pay is £100 ish maybe a week (in a retail store or something) and ill have the money for a PRS after 20 weeks. Easy

EDIT 2

also, on my 18th i get £1000+ insurance from a car accident AND inheritance
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Last edited by Vauxite at Jun 24, 2008,
Fair enough, I did realise that. I just meant that its a sad fact you have to say it at all. No-one should give you any stick.

Ouch, birds cost a lot.... oh well, look damn nice...
Adam
Quote by adzlee123
....so i am....

Yeah, he's right. No one around here should care what religion you are and there's no reason to take that attitude. There are tons of posts on here about people looking for gear in their church choir, youth group, etc. I've never seen anyone get hassled for it. And if they did, they would be outta here so fast, I assure you.

Quote by nuttyboy

I was thinking that but then I realized that I saved at least that (maybe more, don't feel like doing the math) during that same period of my life. Except I bought a car and paid for some university. I don't think I could save for 4 years and spend it on gear though. There's nothing wrong with it if you do though
I personally don't think you should get the birds if they cost an extra £300! It'll look nice, but it'll save quite a hefty chunk of money! In fact, my guitar cost less (and quite a bit less) than birds?
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Wow 4 years just to save up that much? I can make that much in 3-4 months of work part time.

The prices for guitars in england are the same in usa/canada right? So 2000 pounds is the same as a $2000 guitar here? If so I could easily afford all of that in 3 months. Why 4 years?

Also I would for sure go for the birds, this is your ultimate gear setup so saving a bit more to have exactly what you want is the best thing to do.
Last edited by Copilot911 at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Copilot911
Wow 4 years just to save up that much? I can make that much in 3-4 months of work part time.

The prices for guitars in england are the same in usa/canada right? So 2000 pounds is the same as a $2000 guitar here? If so I could easily afford all of that in 3 months. Why 4 years?

More like 2000 pounds is $4,000 here.
Really? I remember in another thread someone from england said the guitar prices are the same number even though the dollar value differs. I mean it makes sense that that PRS is $4000
I think the PRS is way too expensive to be honest. I think spending that amount of money on a guitar is rediculous, but thats just my opinion so...

The Pod XT live is VERY good though. I played around with one at a shop and I was very tempted to buy it.
Quote by Copilot911
Really? I remember in another thread someone from england said the guitar prices are the same number even though the dollar value differs. I mean it makes sense that that PRS is $4000

Well, their prices are the same, but the currencies aren't. So if you were to convert your US dollars to pounds you'd be paying the same thing here as in England etc.

Make sense?
Yeah makes sense, since the exchange rate for canadian to pounds is basically double it would actually cost $4000 for that guitar, $1400 for the amp and $600 for the pedal.
Quote by Copilot911
Yeah makes sense, since the exchange rate for canadian to pounds is basically double it would actually cost $4000 for that guitar, $1400 for the amp and $600 for the pedal.

Bingo.

What they meant by it being the same price is that their guitars don't cost more, thus a guitar that is $500 here won't be $800 like it is in some other countries for whatever reason.
I will just say, I've tried long-term gear purchasing plans. Your idea of good tone will be quite different in four years, I assure you.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Good rig, but dunno if you'll manage the Orange / Marshall combo for £700...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join