I was thinking about going out and getteing a cheap Bass setup to play all my bass parts in recordings, but I was wondering if there are any viable options technology wise i.e. synthesizers, samplers? this will be primarily be for metal.
So am I correct in assuming that samples will be better than a synth for realist electric bass?
Thanks for those suggestions any thoughts on Scarbee stuff?

Also are the bass sounds that come with reason actual samples or synths? The Electric Bass refill seems good but the combined cost of reason plus refill is too much.
The bass sounds are actual samples. And if I'm not mistaken, so are the other instruments that come with Reason (and they're modeled after the analog equipment, inputs and all).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
samples will probably be more real sounding, if you like that. Synth bass can work for certain music. You can also record your guitar clean and lower it an octave, it can sound alright, not near as good as a bass, but more realistic than samples and synths.
If you happen to already own Guitar Pro 5, the realistic sound engine can imitate a bass decently, especially if you screw around with the tone settings, human error generator, etc.

Dedicated programs will probably work better though.
Quote by solidsnake15
So when I bring girls home to my apartment and I've got dual monitors they get wet and say damn you can check your myspace on one screen and be watching lord of the rings on the other.
You can also skip out on an amp if you're just using it for recording and just go DI. That'll save quite a bit if you want a real bass setup.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
^ That's a good approach. A lot of people think bass sounds better when DI'd anyway.
There is poetry in despair.
Izotope's trash is pretty good with this. As Wayward suggested, it may be best to get a decent bass guitar (Rondomusic has a few models that sound nice...ESP/LTD is a solid metal brand too) and DI that, then use Izotope (and sometimes the pedals) to craft your sound. What's surprisingly good sounding is the Behringer BDI21.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

If you happen to already own Guitar Pro 5, the realistic sound engine can imitate a bass decently

How do you get the sound from GP5 into Cubase?

You can also record your guitar clean and lower it an octave, it can sound alright, not near as good as a bass, but more realistic than samples and synths.

I tried this and honestly, to me, it doesn't sound as good as a synth, maybe it was more realistic but it had no low end, EQ helped a bit but not enough.

You can also skip out on an amp if you're just using it for recording and just go DI.

Actually I was planning on plugging it straight into my Toneport GX and using Guitar Rig 3 (which I am using for guitar).

Is this any different than using the Behringer DI and iZotope?

Thanks for the advice guys.
Last edited by ixelion at Jun 26, 2008,
You can probably substitute the Behringer for the GX and not suffer too much (you may lose a little adjustability), and still use Izotope. If you still want the Behringer, you can get an instrument cable to connect the two.
Quote by keiron_d

buy a squire p or j bass then a direct box. Hook it up and load some modeling software if desired. Wham! You have a decent recording set up on a low budget. Your prolly gonna run 200-250 buckaroos.

-Ryan
Thanks for the tips guys.

I was looking at the squire pbass and jbass, but I was also considering the various Ibanez GSR's and ESPs.

Is there a big tone difference between a $150 and a $400 bass, what should I my price range be for good recording tone?
Most of the tone comes from the amps and DI. I suggest going to guitar center and smaller guitar shops and finding whatever has the right features and ergonomics for you. If you don't like handling the bass, then you probably won't use it. If you do, you can always upgrade later (more money usually means nicer pickups, quality control, and woods).
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by ixelion
How do you get the sound from GP5 into Cubase?

I don't have it on this computer actually, but it's something like File>Export>Wave? If that doesn't work, you could always set your computer to record its playback (my sound card has an option called "What U Hear" under recording) and then play your bass track through while recording on cubase or similar.

Unfortunately I don't know much about buying basses, but if you're going into the $400 I would strongly suggest buying used.

Hope this helps!
Quote by solidsnake15
So when I bring girls home to my apartment and I've got dual monitors they get wet and say damn you can check your myspace on one screen and be watching lord of the rings on the other.
Just make sure that if you get an actual bass you play it first and are comfertable with the feel of the guitar.
Hey you never know you may just find your new favorite instrument.
Good luck with this project.
Maybe we could have a looksee at the final copy? Please?

-Ryan
Thanks for the advice guys, I went out and got a Squire P-Bass, and plays and sounds pretty nice.

I didn't realize it was this tough to play the strings are HUGE lol... i need to practice, I am actually enjoying it quite a bit.

Any way here is a sample of what I am working on, unfortunately this was mixed with some crappy logitech speakers, I need to go get some proper monitors so the Bass can get proper representation.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6538678

Thanks for the help guys, imho there is no replacement for a real bass.
Not half bad.
kinda reminded me of norwegian folk music. br00tal style of course HA!
you should really add a drum fill to the end consisting of cymbols so that it concludes the piece rather than it just being done.

Keep us up to date.

-Ryan
The Behringer DI boxes are dreadful, avoid them like the plague.

I am actually relatively happy with just using the Toneport, although I will consider some feedback on bass tone once I get a proper mix done.

Not half bad. kinda reminded me of norwegian folk music. br00tal style of course HA! you should really add a drum fill to the end consisting of cymbols so that it concludes the piece rather than it just being done. Keep us up to date. -Ryan

I just copied and pasted the drums from another song but yeah I am going to be programming the drums from scratch, right now I am just focusing on recording Bass and Guitar.

One last question:

I was thinking of getting one of these Alesis interfaces to mic guitar amps, but I was wondering if I can plug my bass directly into it, or will I need a DI?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-iO26-Portable-26-Input-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=246031
It has a DI switch for instruments. You can also use the i|O 2 if you don't need as many inputs.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by ixelion
Thanks for the advice guys, I went out and got a Squire P-Bass, and plays and sounds pretty nice.

I didn't realize it was this tough to play the strings are HUGE lol... i need to practice, I am actually enjoying it quite a bit.

nice... oo squire p-bass, great bang-for-the-buck bass

bass is great fun but you might want to "fancify" your bass lines, it sounds as if your just playing root notes, it you throw in a run or two and mabey some defined passing notes your song would probibly sound a million times better.
bass is great fun but you might want to "fancify" your bass lines, it sounds as if your just playing root notes, it you throw in a run or two and mabey some defined passing notes your song would probibly sound a million times better.

Hmm you have given me something to think about, I have noticed some interesting bass lines during some quieter synth parts and clean guitar passages. I will have start listening more closely to the bass and it's role in metal songs, and try to emulate that.
Bass Lines can get crazy and i think that its something that a guitar player tends to forget. It is a tendency for guitar players to want to put all of the melodic guitar parts as a front piece stand alone, however, if you back that up with some harmony from the bass you can really make the guitar part say more. Don't forget that bass parts can move.

Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes a root note pattern can suffice and sometimes doing more than that will just get in the way of other parts of the song. but, adding that simple movement will help pull the song togeather.

Also, one more thing. Remeber rhythym is your friend. Nothing adds to a part more than an interesting rhythm. Syncopation, tripelets, whatever. . . just take some time to spice it up occasionally with something more "out there" than the basic eigth note pattern.

Keep it coming.

-Ryan
No offence but the stuff you posted isnt black or death metal at all, its folk metal.