For those of you interested in the mythologies of the past and the general passerby, what do you think of the mysticism related to cultures of the past? To me, it seems like there is more to the architectures/practices of those cultures than meets the eye.

I don't really believe in the paranormal, but I feel like there was something mystic that we don't have among us today, something that washed away with industrialization.

Opinions?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
1. I disagree. I don't really see the stigma that surronds modern technology in these discussions.

2. In before Transformers joke.
erich von danichen you should try and find some stuff he made
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by Flying Couch

damn you! -_-

i'm not sure whether or not i believe it. i mean, they could have simply been a bunch of primitive people consuming a ton of drugs (peyote, datura, etc). that said, there's no denying they had some insane accomplishments.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Flying Couch
1. I disagree. I don't really see the stigma that surronds modern technology in these discussions.

TRANSMORMERS!!!! LOLZ!!!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
generally what is missing today is the belief in something supernatural. Things that couldnt be explained at that that time were categorized as something paranormal.

besides of that it is quit normal that# mysteries get you thinking.

Im a huge fan of the antic and Im also pretty interested in early sophisticated cultures but I think it is helpful to keep in mind that these peoples were humans like you and me.

hail atlantis ^^
Quote by Inf1n1tY.
generally what is missing today is the belief in something supernatural. Things that couldnt be explained at that that time were categorized as something paranormal.

besides of that it is quit normal that# mysteries get you thinking.

Im a huge fan of the antic and Im also pretty interested in early sophisticated cultures but I think it is helpful to keep in mind that these peoples were humans like you and me.

hail atlantis ^^

I understand that completely, but without resorting to calling things paranormal, I have to say that thing the ancients did, whether architecturally/artistically like the pyramids, sculptures, paintings, etc. or practices like human sacrifice, they were reaching out to something that we can't today.

Mind you that a lot of these cultures had reasonable explanations for the physical world.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Flying Couch

Bastage. I was going to mention something about the Norse gods being robots in disguise.
Oh well.
Cool idea for a thread.

I went to a lecture where the guy was talking about cave paintings, and how alongside the drawings of animals and people they would find dozens of handprints. He said that one explanation is that the cave people believed they were actually reaching out and touching another world, and that the shadows of their hands in the flickering light of their fires and torches seemed like hands reaching back from the other dimension.

Now that there's so much information accessible to me about spirituality and religion, I don't feel that I can believe in any of it because none of it can be proved. I think that as a result my experiences are limited, and nothing about life is mysterious any more. In the times when there was nothing to study, the nature of experience must have been very different, and I think I'm envious.

I'm so interested in mythology. I like the pantheistic ones with different gods having power over different elements of life. I'm also intrigued about how the art and architecture of ancient cultures is often much more advanced than can be historically accounted for, where we have no idea how they could make something so accurately with the basic skills and technologies that we've ascribed to that particular era.
Mythology hides in the cracks of human knowledge..or "the bits we don't know".

Everyday these cracks are made smaller as we learn more and more, until mythology ceases to exist.

And yes, religion is mythology too.
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
Robots in disguise!!!!!

i actually didnt read the post just the name
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Quote by rigiddigits
Cool idea for a thread.

I went to a lecture where the guy was talking about cave paintings, and how alongside the drawings of animals and people they would find dozens of handprints. He said that one explanation is that the cave people believed they were actually reaching out and touching another world, and that the shadows of their hands in the flickering light of their fires and torches seemed like hands reaching back from the other dimension.

That is amazing. I've read about cave paintings with regards to the mythologies the people came up with with relation to their habitats, but I've never heard of that. Though so primitive, one can't help but wonder what that was like, to have taken part in that.

That is exactly the mysticism I was talking about in the original post.

Quote by rigiddigits
Now that there's so much information accessible to me about spirituality and religion, I don't feel that I can believe in any of it because none of it can be proved. I think that as a result my experiences are limited, and nothing about life is mysterious any more. In the times when there was nothing to study, the nature of experience must have been very different, and I think I'm envious.

The most important part of mythology is defining your own, with respect to your surroundings and your society. Most people don't have the time to do that because they are so intent on living their material and working lives, and that's where people lose the mysticism and the wonder in the act of living. That is why I say that there is something the ancients had, much more than what we will ever have, because of their oneness with nature. I too am envious of them.

Quote by rigiddigits
I'm so interested in mythology. I like the pantheistic ones with different gods having power over different elements of life. I'm also intrigued about how the art and architecture of ancient cultures is often much more advanced than can be historically accounted for, where we have no idea how they could make something so accurately with the basic skills and technologies that we've ascribed to that particular era.

One of the most intriguing facts is that the Incas did not have metal tools. All they had at their disposal was stone tools, yet their stone-masons were THE best in the world. Their architectures were spectacular and no modern man can make a perfect square joint with just stone tools as they did. Amazing.

Quote by WangmasterHizzl
Mythology hides in the cracks of human knowledge..or "the bits we don't know".

Everyday these cracks are made smaller as we learn more and more, until mythology ceases to exist.

And yes, religion is mythology too.

Mythology IS human knowledge.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie