At the moment I have a Peavey Valveking 212, and to be honest, I hate it, the distortion is weak, the feedback is ridiculous and it's left me in a state where I prefer to practice without my amp because I just can't be bothered even plugging it in, so I think it's time for a new one!

I'm really into Paul Gilbert, Dream Theather...although minus the excessive rack gear from the latter haha. So I'm sort of looking for something that can pump out a lot of gain, but really thick, smooth sort of gains, and that also responds well to harmonics.

The big big deal breaker here though is that, even though I want a valve amp, I want to be able to play it at home, so I don't want it to sound crap at low volumes, but I wanna be able to crank it when needs be, for example gigging situations.

My budget is as much as I feel I can justify spending, but we'll say about £500 or £600 for now.
Funny words.
Well, that sounds like a Mesa Mark IV to me... but if you're in Europe it might be hard to find one at a good price. Maybe look into ENGL amps?
Hmm...
Laney GH50 with a 2x12?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Hmm...
Laney GH50 with a 2x12?

Can't really go wrong with Laney for Gilbert tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

This is true. PG used to use Laney amps except for his last cd. The Laney suggestion is a good one... I had completely forgotten
Oh and, many people say the VK isn't really good until tube and speaker changes. Have you tried this yet? I personally am not a fan of the VK... but perhaps you will like it?
Quote by steven seagull

That's what I thought
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by DarkPsychedelia
Oh and, many people say the VK isn't really good until tube and speaker changes. Have you tried this yet? I personally am not a fan of the VK... but perhaps you will like it?

Even still, it's too loud for what I need at the moment, 100 watts is overkill really, I just got it because it was cheap.

And to the GH50 suggestions, is there a combo version? I'm in two minds as to whether getting a half or quarter stack would be best...Also what are they like in terms of rhythm? Obviously they do Paul Gilbert esque stuff, but can they be pushed to do higher gain stuff?
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
And to the GH50 suggestions, is there a combo version? I'm in two minds as to whether getting a half or quarter stack would be best...Also what are they like in terms of rhythm? Obviously they do Paul Gilbert esque stuff, but can they be pushed to do higher gain stuff?

To be honest, I think the VH100R would be better if you're entering metal territory. I mean, Paul Gilberts tone is distorted, but its metal by no means and I actually found the GH50l to have to really be pushed to get a relatively high gain sound out of it. I know you don't want want 100 watt, but you could always remove 2 poweramp tubes, I think thats what HAT3BR33D3R did with his.
Quote by Tom_hatton
To be honest, I think the VH100R would be better if you're entering metal territory. I mean, Paul Gilberts tone is distorted, but its metal by no means and I actually found the GH50l to have to really be pushed to get a relatively high gain sound out of it. I know you don't want want 100 watt, but you could always remove 2 poweramp tubes, I think thats what HAT3BR33D3R did with his.

What about with a decent overdrive infront of it?
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
What about with a decent overdrive infront of it?

Then yes, it probably could do metal with a tubescreamer or something. But yeah, they're certainly great amps for the price, I love the cleans.
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard there's a Laney combo that's very similar to the VH100R. It also had a V in it... might be the vc30.. If so then that might be good for you. There's a couple on ebay now... but do some research first, I know very little about Laney amps, I might be very misinformed...
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Even still, it's too loud for what I need at the moment, 100 watts is overkill really, I just got it because it was cheap.

Quote by DarkPsychedelia
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard there's a Laney combo that's very similar to the VH100R. It also had a V in it... might be the vc30.. If so then that might be good for you. There's a couple on ebay now... but do some research first, I know very little about Laney amps, I might be very misinformed...

This man wins the prize, you can pick up a VC50 (2x12 50 watt combo of the VH100R) on ebay for £300 or thereabouts, I have one and it's great. Paul Gilbert actually used one himself for a while.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Could the VH combo do Gilbert sounding stuff as well?

Definitely, like I said he used one himself. The GH and VH have pretty much the same dirty channel anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you go for a VC50 I'd highly recommend getting it serviced and changing the valves, it might cost you another £100 but it's well worth it, as most of them are about 10 years old now. And they all seem to have horrible sovtek valves in.

My Music
Typical of timi...just waltzing in here as he pleases and *danaaa* perfect amp found.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

My super secret formula never fails.

that formula being "never post unless the VC50 is the perfect amp" >_>

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

My super secret formula never fails.

that formula being "never post unless the VC50 is the perfect amp" >_>

Sounds quite similar to me except with the 5150 haha.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace