http://youtube.com/watch?v=jN-_up5dSW0

This song is "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. I'm not a huge fan of the whole song, but the short solo after the long "salt shaker" pause is absolutely brilliant. While the lull could stand to be much shorter, it builds up to beautiful raw guitar solo that has such an awesome tone. How can I get that tone?

Solo starts around 3:05, but to get the full impact of the solo, you gotta listen to the lulling section some.
Tons of treble and very light gain is my suggestion. Try leaving a VOX wah in the toe down position.
Quote by nevermind94
Tons of treble and very light gain is my suggestion. Try leaving a VOX wah in the toe down position.

Dont have a VOX wah, but would a Crybaby GCB-95 in toe down to the job?
Maybe. I've never tried that wah. Just as long as it gives you a biting, trebly tone. Page was known for using a ****load of treble in his signal.
That sounds like a tele and an old marshall.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
What gear are you using then? A Tele into an Orange Rockerverb will get you pretty close.

I think the original recording was most likely a Telecaster into a Matamp, with one of Roger Mayer's early fuzzboxes - though JP used tons of different gear.
If Page is correct it's the Les Paul into a Vox Super Beatle, probably with the MRB (Mid Range Boost) in it's trebilest position. The MRB feature was basically a wah circuit inside of the amp, with 3 fixed settings. Try the wah toe down like suggested. He's probably using the fuzz on the Beatle as well, which was derived from the Fuzz Face.

Check out my CROTM for Page in the Electric forum, it's stickied.
Quote by kyle62
What gear are you using then? A Tele into an Orange Rockerverb will get you pretty close.

I think the original recording was most likely a Telecaster into a Matamp, with one of Roger Mayer's early fuzzboxes - though JP used tons of different gear.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100, and a MIM Fender strat. My amp is a Peavey Valveking 112. You can see all this stuff if you look at my profile.
On the record he just uses a Vox v847 with the pedal to the metal. I have a Vox Wah and I think it sounds pretty darn close. I know that Page recorded the first album with a Tele into an AC30 with a Tonebender between. Dunno if he switched to Les Paul/Marshall for the second LP, but I think he still had the Tonebender.
So many jerks, so few bullets
I would use a wah with the tone down because thats the closest i can do. In reality it would probably be a cranked tube amp with a tele playing through and maybe a fuzz too.