SLASHwarning: There's a bit of reading to go through. So don't b*tch about it to me! LOL. Thanks for any help UG \m/

i boast so much about the blackheart's tone lately that a lot of people here prolly forget that i have a Randall RM50 from the MTS line. The reason i haven't spoken much of that lately is only b/c of my ordeal months back that left something on the circuit board fried. but alas the day is approaching soon where i take the amp to get fixed under warranty. Probably within the next couple of months. The warranty at the very least has to last a year so i have until December really to get it sent in.

background info aside, i am looking to upgrade the tubes in this beast to really get it heavy. i use this for all my modern sounding metal as well as vintage tones as well, though it doesn't do the marshall sound as well as the blackheart mind you. I would like to know what 6L6 power tubes should be put in here to give me the best bang-for-buck sound possible- BUT i do not want to pay an arm and leg for each one. So anything that ranges more than $25 a tube is gonna be too much hassle. I was thinking JJs for this.

As for preamp tubes, here's what i'm looking for:

'Clean' module (channel): i would like to have as nice a clean as possible, sparkly and fenderish. A slight bit of dirt when i max the preamp volume is preferrable, but i really want these cleans to be beautiful. I can use an OD to get dirty bluesy type sounds.

'Recto' module (2nd channel): Aggresive!!! This module has a lot of clarity to it and i love it, doesn't get muddy until the gain is past 3/4- and that's not to a high degree, just noticeable. I would like for it to get very heavy when the preamp gain get's pushed. Plenty of mesa-like growl. I occasionally drop tune and throw some heavier styles out that focus on palm muting and low string riffing. Smooth high end lead is also important. I use an OD to give some more thickness and saturation for leads.

i am also going to get an EQ pedal eventually. I don't really see the point in getting a 10-band MXR EQ as the different voltage adapter WILL become a hassle for me. Also, i have heard many times before that having the extra 4 bands is great for complete tone freaks but the 6 band can still give you a drastic increase in tone quality. Tone suckage to a minimum please. I am considering the MXR 6 band for this!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
JJ power tubes are good. I would probably just get tungsols or mullards for your preamp tubes. I have to say go for the mxr 10 band. You drop tune a lot and the 10 band has more low frequencies which should help you shape your tone better. It comes with the adapter anyhow.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
it does come with one? hmm that might make a lil difference then.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*sorry for spam*
i never knew that line of amps were all tube. i thought they were ss preamp and tube power amp. im gonna look into them. awesome.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Yea they're all tube. Pretty much all tube modeling if you think about it.

Best amp i've played so far, as far as versatility that is. But i haven't played a Mesa Roadking nor the Mark IV. Though keep in mind these amps ARE up there in price, but still not as much as a Mesa brand new.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
Yea they're all tube. Pretty much all tube modeling if you think about it.

Best amp i've played so far, as far as versatility that is. But i haven't played a Mesa Roadking nor the Mark IV. Though keep in mind these amps ARE up there in price, but still not as much as a Mesa brand new.

yeah im looking at a blackface and plexi preamps.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I just got the JJ 6l6's out of my CBB, and I have like 5 spare JJ 12AX7's.
Wanna take them off my hands? I'm sure they would sound great for most of what you want.
The only thing is, they have slightly darker cleans, not exactly fenderish. But for distorted stuff, they have nice tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
dayum, when you say take em off your hands do ya mean free . atm i don't have the money to upgrade tubes but if you're saying just givin' away then i can't argue that.

that reminds me, i gave away my spare JJ EL84 tube to my bud who just bought a blackheart, i figured if he was gonna get his first tube amp, he might as well have it sounding the best it can right away. Now he just needs a new preamp.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
the type of tubes actually make that much of a difference? i never would of guessed.
i have jj preamp tubes in my HRD right now, they are a little too dark i think.
one time i put a pair of ruby's in my preamp, (i know there rebranded) but they sounded amazing. i was blown away.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
tona, do you own a tube amp? If not, then down the road when you DO own one you'll see what i mean.

for example my blackheart: first day home it rocked the house and sounded absolutely beautiful! compared to any practice amp out there it totally raped it in the tone dept. but i knew that new tubes would push its full potential as UG made me aware of that a long time ago. So i ordered new ones soon after i got the amp and changed them out, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! What i already thought was a perfect stock sound became even clearer and tighter! it was so much better! it went from great to perfect.

it's like wearing the same pair of glasses for a few years and thinking you see perfect, then getting fitted for new ones and you're like, "Oh my god i can SEE!" lol quoted from the great Brian Regan

in short...new quality tubes make a HUGE difference. much like a nice quality speaker
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I had some stock tubes and speakers lying around the house. Put them in my C30. Well, it didn't sound bad, it still sounded great but the difference is night and day. I plan on getting some tungsols for the preamp. Also looking at an eq.
Slash rocks, the 10 band also has a gain control which i heard is very useful, just another added bonus.
rite on.

oh and tung-sols are EXCELLENT preamp tubes. got one in my blackheart
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
tona, do you own a tube amp? If not, then down the road when you DO own one you'll see what i mean.

for example my blackheart: first day home it rocked the house and sounded absolutely beautiful! compared to any practice amp out there it totally raped it in the tone dept. but i knew that new tubes would push its full potential as UG made me aware of that a long time ago. So i ordered new ones soon after i got the amp and changed them out, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! What i already thought was a perfect stock sound became even clearer and tighter! it was so much better! it went from great to perfect.

it's like wearing the same pair of glasses for a few years and thinking you see perfect, then getting fitted for new ones and you're like, "Oh my god i can SEE!" lol quoted from the great Brian Regan

in short...new quality tubes make a HUGE difference. much like a nice quality speaker

no man i don't, that's why i don't know anything about them lol. i have no money and all the money i spend i have to spend on bass gear, cause, well, i play bass in a band not guitar. i just have a borrowed fender practice amp lol. and my bass amp isn't tube either. so i have zero knowledge of them. tube amps that is.
i would be inclined to drop that amp in as soon as possible... normally it's best to inform them of a fault asap...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slash_rocks2005
rite on.

oh and tung-sols are EXCELLENT preamp tubes. got one in my blackheart

Are they a little brighter than JJ's?
^Yeah, tungsols are brighter than JJ's. All around better too IMO.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Dave_Mc
i would be inclined to drop that amp in as soon as possible... normally it's best to inform them of a fault asap...

+1, I don't know why you'd wait to bring it in if something isn't working on it. Makes no sense at all to me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ well let's see.... i'm a college student. worked part time during the school year and couldn't afford the two and half hour trip up to a city just to drop off an amp. shipping is even more expensive.

i'll be an hour away from that town when i move in the dorms in august. but yea i'm also having the shop confirm that they repair randall amps under warranty b/c the last guy i talked to was 'unsure' ...

trust me, if it didn't cost much money or hassle it would have already been done
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh ok, no worries.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?