Okay so i wanted to learn "question" by the old 97's and there is this chord that is kinda hard for me to fret

d|----2-2-2-2-2-2-|----2-2-2-2-2-2-|
A|----3-3-3-3-3-3-|----3-3-3-3-3-3-|
F|----2-2-2-2-2-2-|----2-2-2-2-2-2-|
C|--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|----X-X-X-X-X-X-|
G|----------------|-----4-4-4-4-4-4-4-|
D|----------------|------------------------|

After the D chord I have to stretch my pinkie to hit and hold that forth fret but I can do it to save my life. So is it ok for me to bar the second fret with my index and then use the middle and ring fingers for the other frets or is this something for n00bs? Can you guys make that chord easily or what? How would I go about making that stretch easier? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
im making that chord pretty easily i don't know what to tell you maybe you need a better angle between your pinky and the neck
Just make it as easy on yourself as possible without totally butchering the chord would be my advice.
this&that wrote:

And all we're going to hear is ARGH CLICKCLICKCLICK TAPTAPTAP WAMMMYYYY CLICILCKCLICK ARGH IM SO BADASS AT METALLICA

Just barre your index finger over the top 3 strings at the 2nd fret, then put your middle finger on the B string, 3rd fret; and either your pinky or ring finger on the A string, 4th fret. You can mute the D string with whatever finger you use to fret the A string.
Well this chord shape can be played in a couple of ways... the easiest way for beginner guitar is probably to use index finger to bar the 2nd fret for the high E and G, and use middle finger on the 3rd fret for the B string, and then when you have to add the 4th fret on the A string you would use your ring finger. The downfall to this method, is the inability to quickly separate the notes in that bar.
yeah i was doing the bar method but then it's harder to switch between chords.
It does take some practice but you'll get it eventually.

You could also play...
|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-7-|
|---|---|---|-7-|
|---|---|---|-7-|
|-4-|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|
.. which would be the exact same notes. Fair enough it's still a stretch but I just thought I'd throw it in there.
that would be a D maj9*

here some pics

Barre Chord

Thumb

Me, I would play it with my thumb

hope this help

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by :-D
^It's not Dmaj9. In standard tuning it's D/C#, D standard (which he's in) it's C/B.

thanks

well the thumb technique is the hardest for me so that's out. i tried playing it on my electric and it was much easier then my acoustic, still kinda crappy but i'm sure i'll get it with practice. I really need a new acoustic though or i won't be able to play it clean unless im on the electic
um... why would you hit the 4th fret with your thumb when your other fingers are down on the second and third fret? that just doesn't make sense to have your thumb above the rest of your fingers
Dont barre, and dont use your thumb :S

Just extend your pinky and stick that on the 4th fret. you can use ur pinky to mute the d-string aswell. I can fret it quite easily, its also in Wait For Me by theory of a deadman.

Just keep your wrist low, and knuckles parallel to the fret board.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
that just doesn't make sense to have your thumb above the rest of your fingers

I play a lot with my thumb, my teacher find it weird but they dont mind since it sounds right
plus the thumb would give a nice and fast switch from the regular D chord IMO

i guess the problem would be that my knuckle doesn't stay parallel when i stretch my pinkie, i just can and then it mutes the third string