ok so...
i have a crappy marshall mg...clean is ok....but yeah it sucks...i m saving up for a engl screamer but i m definetly set on getting a distortion pedal as a cheap solution...i m getting the screamer for sure at xmas but until then i need something to at least make my amp have a REASONABLE distortion tone.
So i was thinking a pedal...and a good one not some crappy metal zone cause i dont want that fizzy tone.....the fizziest i d go is a dimebag tone...
i interested in a RIP megadeth or kill/ride/master metallica tone...so just tell me which of these following pedals would do best to get that tight punchy tone...NOT SCOOPED...think megadeth....not that loose muddy tone some of the pedals have(and my mg )
i m set on getting a pedal and as u can see theres quite a few choices...expensive and inexpensive....price isnt an issue as long as its a PEDAL...not a new amp....thats coming at xmas
So i ve come down to a few choices and yeah u guys are gonna help me

Damage control:
-demonizer
-solid metal

(they both sounded a bit crunchy on their website...as in a bit too crunchy but some people say they re amazing)

Rocktron:
-silver dragon
-zombie recto distortion

(sounded pretty good on the website...smooth yet tight)

Seymour duncan:
-Twin tube mayhem
-power grid distortion

(both sounded very good but i d love opinions)

Krank:
-distortus maximus

(very good but non tube so i dunno what u guys think)

EHX:
-metal muff with top boost

(the cheapest of the lot but some people swear by them)

Now these are all very different pedals but i m definetly aiming at something that i can still use AFTER i get my screamer at xmas...so something good....as i said before price is not an issue as long as its a pedal...so dont recommend amps as i m set on my screamer...i just need something that is an upgrade from my mgs distortion

i m using a jackson rr3 with jb/jazz

THANKS IN ADVACE...sorry for the LOOOOOOONG description...thingy
dude i would have to bet my money on the seymour duncan twin terror but i personally use a scott ian black 13 and a jimi hendrix fuzz wah they give you a nice fuzz and crucnh sound
peace man keep rocking
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
such a beautiful guitar... such a terrible amp...
Nearly brings a tear.

I like the EHX Metal Muff, one thats SLIGHTLY cheaper is the Metal Core from Boss. Better than the zone lol.

Check that out. I havent tried the other pedals, so i'm not too helpful, sorry.
The Seymour Duncan stuff is really transparent. I think that wouldn't be a solution for your MG, but they would sound amazing if you love your guitar through the ENGL. They just don't color your sound. If you hate the MG then you'll hate any Seymour Duncan Pedal though that rig.

I really don't trust anything from Rocktron. I've just had so many horrible issues with that company that I avoid them like the plague.

The Krank is interesting, but it might not push the ENGL at all.

Cheapest route with the EHX might be a good way to go. I like it. And, I like the Damage Control stuff....most likely the best of the litter you've got there.

Have you looked at the Box of Metal from Zvex?
For the MG I'd possibly recommend something from AMT Electronics. Analogue modeling pedals.

Due to the fact that they're modelers, they colour the sound a lot - which for your screamer would be bad - but for your MG they'd be awesome, because they change the tone of the amp quite a lot.
I have an AMT California sound that I've played through a MG before, and it helped a lot (Although theres only so much you can do with a MG). I wouldn't recommend the cali sound for metal though. Maybe the metalizer or dist-station or something.
People rave about the Fatal Tube.

They sound a lot better than digital modeling pedals because they're analogue.
They can be plugged straight into a mixing desk live or in the studio too.

but again, there'd probably be no point if you're getting a screamer.

http://amtelectronicsusa.com/
Last edited by inefficiency at Jun 24, 2008,
hmm yeah...well i dont think i can get the box of metal anywhere near where i live...so that leaves me between the cheap solution being the metal muff...or the damage control pedals....but still which one would be tightest sounding? lke i said not crushing gain....just think megadeth and early metallica.....so yeah something tight, kinda middy but still not muddy u know? with the treble needed to pull of those megadeth/metallica riffs. amt modellers....wouldnt have any idea where to get any of those either ...its just yeah the ones i posted where the ones that i knew i could get so....i m kinda stuck with those choices i mention at the start....oh and no one for the krank???
ok so i CAN get the box of metal now that i looked around...and i heard it and it sounds like ok...it jsut might not be what i m looking for...it didnt sound tight enough for what i want....see dimebags tone was TIGHT...now i dont want that tight...but still i dont want a muddy crunchy mess and some of the pedals i ve been looking at are like that so they re not somehting i want...anyone tried any of the pedals i listed( or others) that are TIGHT...even tho they dont have to be super tight....cause most tightness comes from playing....but tight...like megadeth i keep saying that but thats the tone i m after and i have the SD JB in the bridge so i dont think it would be impossible with some looking around...so i m all open to opinions/experiences with high end pedals that ll get me that tone...remember price isnt an option as long as i can find it near me
Are you trying to buy a Screamer Combo?

Which MG do you have?

The Damage Control stuff is like $300. Thats like a decent used amp head. Then you could sell the MG, more money....idk just thinking out loud
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
no i m getting the screamer anyways at xmas....so thats set like i need something NOW to make my mg bearable until i get da screamer...so yeah i m like left with those choices....and price isnt an option as long as its a pedal...like i said before...so i m still lost anyone?
Don't spend a load of money on a pedal for an MG, it's just a waste. Get something cheap and decent.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
look the way i see it i m getting my dream amp at xmas....till then i need to have something to get by...why shouldnt i get a pedal? all i want to make sure is that i get something that is at least AN UPGRADE of what i have now....and that somehow i can make use of when i get my screamer...i mean it seems pretty logic to me...of course i could just bear with my mg till xmas but i said money isnt an issue so i might as well get something to make it sound at least a BIT better...so anyone? like does the muff classify as cheap and decent? should i just get that? or one of the damage control ones or the duncan ones that i could still use when i get the screamer? i mean i ve played the screamer and i know its not gonna be somehting i m gonna need to use pedals with....i love its distortion and sound as it is so should i just get a cheap solution for my mg now?
Quote by georgakis187
look the way i see it i m getting my dream amp at xmas....till then i need to have something to get by...why shouldnt i get a pedal? all i want to make sure is that i get something that is at least AN UPGRADE of what i have now....and that somehow i can make use of when i get my screamer...i mean it seems pretty logic to me...of course i could just bear with my mg till xmas but i said money isnt an issue so i might as well get something to make it sound at least a BIT better...so anyone? like does the muff classify as cheap and decent? should i just get that? or one of the damage control ones or the duncan ones that i could still use when i get the screamer? i mean i ve played the screamer and i know its not gonna be somehting i m gonna need to use pedals with....i love its distortion and sound as it is so should i just get a cheap solution for my mg now?

you don't need to have anything at all....you want something.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Maybe a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde would work for you, it's got overdrive and distortion in one pedal. You could use them both with the MG depending on what you were playing and you'd still be able to use the OD side with the screamer if you wanted to.

They're fairly cheap too, especially compared to some of the damage control stuff you were looking at.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i didn't read all of the above posts (its late and im about to go sleep), but with that kind of money, (the rocktrons), i think you should get the ibanez jemini (i remember seeing it on a musician's friend-type website recently). it has both distortion and o.d. that you can use now and when you get your screamer, and only costs a bit more than the rocktron.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...