well as some of you may know, i just bought an Ibanez RG1570 which has an Edge Pro bridge. but the problem is, i can't keep it in tune after i lock the nut. now, i know there is a floyd rose setup thread that is stickied but that only shows me how the bridge is supposed to look like. i have tried to do everything which includes:

- stretching out the strings
- giving the bridge some extreme whammy abuse to "break in" the springs
- setup up the bridge so that it's parallel to the body

what can possibly be wrong?
right now when i pull up the strings go a bit sharp but they stay fairly good in tune to each other but when i dive bomb the just go completely out of tune.
i am using ernie ball super slinky 9's with three springs in an arrow shape as shown in the picture below. anyways thanks in advance for any help

Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
set the bridge up so its straight, then give the strings a REALLY good stretch!
i mean, really abuse the hell out of them!!

then, if theyre new strings..retune it, level the bridge and repeat until they dont go out of tune.
when this is done, leave the locking nut off overnight so the strings settle a bit more..then the next day, final stretch, tune up and lock!

should be pretty close then. if not, try a little chapstick on the knife edges to help lube them.
Quote by godofshred
set the bridge up so its straight, then give the strings a REALLY good stretch!
i mean, really abuse the hell out of them!!

then, if theyre new strings..retune it, level the bridge and repeat until they dont go out of tune.
when this is done, leave the locking nut off overnight so the strings settle a bit more..then the next day, final stretch, tune up and lock!

should be pretty close then. if not, try a little chapstick on the knife edges to help lube them.

cool i'll try it but are the springs setup correctly? or should i put them all parallel like they originally were?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
one more question. does the bridge have to be parallel on both sides? cuz in the photos of the FR thread you see the bridge parallel to the body from the left side of the guitar but what about the other side? just wondering. because right now i have it setup so both sides are parallel but that also means that the claw in the back are angled. as one is tight and the other is a bit more loose. maybe this is the problem?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jun 24, 2008,
cool thanks. well gotta get to work. thanks for the info!
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
well i took the bridge off and i noticed that the knife edge on the left side has a tiny little chip about the width of a needle, well not really a chip but it looks like it was sorta "stripped" a tiny bit "up". so it's slightly noticeable form the front but if you turn the bridge around and look at it from behind it's not noticeable. anyways i just wanted to know if maybe this is a major factor in my tuning stability or is it insignificant? anyways thanks

It's not really noticeable but maybe a major Problem?

is the knife edge supposed to be recessed like this? just wondering

*sigh* I'm such a Floyd noob
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
yes, the right hand side is supposed to be rounded like that

and the "chip" you mention is just wear..it looks to be okay right now.
my ep7 is MUCH more worn than that and still stays in tune for days mate.
you will be fine

just put a bit of chapstick on the knife edges..reinstall and setup your trem and have fun
I think it is supposed to be like that.

Whoa when i saw your face in that pic I could have sworn you were my brother.
Quote by godofshred
yes, the right hand side is supposed to be rounded like that

and the "chip" you mention is just wear..it looks to be okay right now.
my ep7 is MUCH more worn than that and still stays in tune for days mate.
you will be fine

just put a bit of chapstick on the knife edges..reinstall and setup your trem and have fun

cool thanks i took the bridge off to put chapstick on and i noticed that small "stripped peace on the knife edge and i just wanted to make sure. once again thanks.

EDIT: ^^^ I'm his evil twin
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by godofshred
no problemo matey.

if the trem is still going out of tune badly after a lot of time for strings to settle and setups...shoot me a pm.

will do. thanks for all your help GodOfShred. you've been really helpful
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
sure.these first ones will look a bit funky since i took the bridge off but i'll post more once i put it back together anyways here they are

and after a year or so of rigorous practicing and getting good at guitar i just might move on to an RG1527
*cough* 7 String Legion *cough*
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
GodOfShred, thank you

that chapstick **** really worked!
my guitar now stays completely in tune with dive bombs, but it goes go a little bit sharp when i pull up (used to be the opposite but much worse). i'm just gonna leave the locking nut off to stretch the strings abit and tomorrow i'll tweak it a bit more to get it in perfect tuning stability.

Man.........you're my hero

anyways off to work
thanks
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
well GodOfShred here are the pics
i tried getting it as crystal clear as possible(thanks to my new 10.1 MP camera )
these first 4 pics are of the right side (low E string)

these are of the left side (high E string)

anyways hope this will help you help me setting the trem up properly, thanks
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by jake911
Looks perfect.

but it still goes out of tune. the closest i had it to perfect tuning was when it stayed in tune with divebombs but with pull ups the g and b string went slightly sharp while the others were still in tune. since then i have been trying to tweak it here and there but now it doesn't stay in tune anymore

EDIT: maybe i'm overlooking something here?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
The same thing happened when I first got my Ibanez, let me try to remember what i Did.
Quote by jake911
The same thing happened when I first got my Ibanez, let me try to remember what i Did.

let me know. if i don't get it properly setup by friday of next week, i'll just go to my local shop to get a pro setup. though i would like to avoid that if possible
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
This is what I did, but I dont want to guarantee anything.

I unlocked the nut and did some small dives and pull-ups and then retuned, and then I locked the nut did the same whammy procedure as before and then fine tune.

It may also be that the strings still are not stretched.

When I first got my rg550 I thought My tremolo was hexed, but I did the chapstick and waited for about a week and messed with it, and now it works great.
well after a week of stretching i'm positive that they have stretch enough. anyways i'll remove the bridge again and apply a bit more chap stick and i'll try you're small dives and pulls trick. hopefully it works this time.
thanks
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
there should only be a thin, thin layer of chap stick.
look at the posts and knifes...check there are no massive chips or dips again

then set the trem parralell..tune up and go crazy with the nut unlocked.

keep doing that and setting the trem parra again..and repeat.
then do the same, but with the nut locked.

lock nut, go crazy, unlock nut, tune and setup.
repeat.

and take some good pics of each side of your knife edges please?
if theyre somehow worn..ill teach you how to sharpen them..as mine may need a sharpening soon.
Last edited by godofshred at Jul 1, 2008,
okay i'll see how it goes

yeah as soon as i take the bridge off i will post some pics
thanks again
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
well here are the pics

Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
there is wear on there..but definately not enough to cause tuning hard.
just superficial wear

keep trying to balance it out..try 2 springs even..and a really deep screwed claw?

if all else fails..new strings and try again