Hey People i just need some help.

what is something i could buy to make my sound more heavier and more tube like, ive been looking at preamps like the "Rocktron gainiac" , " Peavey Rockmaster" , "Electro Harmonix Tube EQ" and some others. what would you guys recommend?

My setup right now is a ESP F-50 with Seymour Duncan Distortions neck and bridge-> to a Line 6 Uber metal petal -> to a BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i -> going to a Peavey XXl head -> thru a Crate 4x12.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by Framus at Jun 25, 2008,
Other than buying a tube amp, there's not much you can do to get a tube like sound from a solid state amp as far as distortion is concerned anyway. At least that's the impression i've gotten.
Quote by Framus

My setup right now is a ESP F-50 with Seymour Duncan Distortions neck and bridge-> to a Line 6 Uber metal petal -> to a BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i -> going to a Peavey XXl head -> thru a Crate 4x12.

Thanls!!!

There's your problem...

As a rule of thumb, solid state pedals will make you sound more solid state. (With the exception of EQ pedals), especially dirt pedals like the Line 6 one.

I would go straight from guitar --> Amp and use the onboard dirt.
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

I would change your line, put the Sonic Maximizer before the Uber Metal. You also might want to put a tube screamer or other overdrive before the metal pedal. Add a bit a warmth to your signal.

Real solution = Tube Head
tube overdrive before the metal pedal?! NO!!! that's SS distortion and putting an OD to 'boost' or 'thicken' it won't work. You'll just make a lotta extra noise. Ditch the Line 6 pedal. You could try a preamp tube pedal and see if that helps, but don't be surprised if it doesn't!!

like aberrant said, real solution = TUBE amp.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
yeah - if we could get a SS amp to sound like a tube amp we wouldn't need to buy tube amps... ain't gonna happen.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Those peavey XXL's are actually pretty good SS heads. Remove the line6 pedal and the BBE from the chain and sit down with your amp and eq for a while. Peavey's transtube curcuit sounds WAY better to my ears than the uber-metal's.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
People have been trying to get tube tone out of SS amps since SS amps came out. Hasnt happened yet. The lin6 pedal isnt helping either.
Epi Valve Junior head will probably take care of your problem. Cheapest fix i can think of.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Ditch the uber metal, that head should be able to get at least as good of distortion straight. I don't think there's really a solution other than sell your head and get a tube amp, you could probably get a decent tube combo with enough gain for the price that the head + cab + uber metal + sonic maximizer would brign on ebay. You could also sell the head and just get a tube one with good clean headroom, then run the ubermetal into that. I may be in the minority, but I actually rather liked the sound of the "pulverize" setting running into the clean channel of my VR30 while I owned it.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by mogar
Those peavey XXL's are actually pretty good SS heads. Remove the line6 pedal and the BBE from the chain and sit down with your amp and eq for a while. Peavey's transtube curcuit sounds WAY better to my ears than the uber-metal's.

Agreed. And if I were you I'd put the Sonic maximizer in the EFX loop
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
+1 on the maximiser in the loop. I did some testing and found much better results with the BBE in the loop.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Well, obviously there's no trick to making your SS amp sound like an authentic tube amp: It just plain can't happen. You can do some things that help, though. When i used a SS amp, before i could afford a tube amp, I used a Blues Driver for all my overdrive b/c it sounded a little warmer and more authentic than my amps OD. You could try to find an OD pedal that gets you closer. The Line 6 is NOT that pedal.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by scott58
Epi Valve Junior head will probably take care of your problem. Cheapest fix i can think of.

Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
the FX loop on the amp is broken idk whats wrong with it, it was like that when i got it.
Quote by aberrant
I would change your line, put the Sonic Maximizer before the Uber Metal. You also might want to put a tube screamer or other overdrive before the metal pedal. Add a bit a warmth to your signal.

Real solution = Tube Head

i wouldn't putting the BBE before the distortion kinda be pointless, i mean the whole point of the BBE is to tighten up the signal wavelenghth so putting it before a pedal that clips the signal seems illogical. I could be wrong?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
It's kind of funny, but the SamsAmp GT2 pedal in front of an SS amp will give it more of a tube sound. It's noisy though and would work best paired with a noise gate. Still inferior to an actually tube head.